Skylanders SwapForce & update Disney Infinity.....

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by MRU, Oct 14, 2013.

1. MRU, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013

MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Just when I thought I had got all the skylanders addiction out of my system The new game has got me hooked again. I just ordered the 3ds and Wi U versions of the starter pack and put down a pre order for the P'S version (which I'll trade in the WiiU version for when it's out)...

Anyone else grabbing Skylanders this year or am I the only sad one.

2. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Addiction has hit, just spent over $115 on some SwapForce figures because they won't be released here for a while yet.....

What is it Activision you do to my brain???

3. -SD- macrumors 6502

My son and I are both looking forward to this.... although my wallet's sat in a dark corner, quivering with fear....

We have the Dark Edition for the Wii on pre-order, along with the regular edition for the Wii U. I'll be up Toys R Us on Friday morning to see what Legendary figures they have available on release.

I'm also hoping that as well as the Swap Force stuff, they'll get a delivery of the final Giants characters. Lightcore Hex is a pre-order bonus for Giants, but we still need S2 Drobot and Lightcore Pop Fizz. Gnarly Tree Rex is also available separately too, so I'd like one of those if possible.

:apple:

4. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Ok so I've bought the

Dark Edition on PS3 (for the 5 dark skylanders)
    Starter Edition on Wii U
    Starter Edition on 3DS (for the two different skylanders from the console version)

As well as 4 more skylander swap force characters !!! & 2 new light core characters.

Oh and I decided to get the one missing Giant character Ninjini from my collection too......

Seriously nearly €300 !!!! I'm frickin insane !!!

And lets not forget I've also got the starter pack for PS4 pre-ordered.

5. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

OK so here we go.... still have 7 more characters and my dark force edition to come but here we go with my session today!

[​IMG]

6. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

They all look cosy by the fireplace.

And I think you are correct in the use of your term "addiction" :eek:

7. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Lol, yep addiction... :) They really have improved the game this year, looks really pretty now, I can't wait to see the next gen version.

It looks remarkably similar now to Rare's Kameo .

8. MRU, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013

MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

OK 19 swapforce characters since launch........ I need an intervention.

Edit.... miscounted. 21 :)

9. -SD- macrumors 6502

It doesn't look like you have Magna Charge? Tesco are doing double-packs of Swap characters, you can get either Rattle Shake or Free Ranger along with an exclusive 'Nitro' Magna Charge. He has slightly better in-game specs but a much better paint job than the standard version in my opinion.

Asda have an exclusive 'Enchated' Hoot Loop but I don't think it looks as good as the standard one, again, the character has slightly higher spec than normal. And Toys R Us are loving their Legendaries again: so far it's only Free Ranger and Grim Creeper though.

:apple:

10. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah I have Magna Charge, i'm up to 10 swap force characters including

Magna Charge, Blast Zone, Wash Buckler, Boom Jet, Fire Kraken, Free Ranger, Hoot Loop, Night Shift, Rattle Snake, Grilla Drilla

Will pick up the remaining when available. I'm up to 52 characters now out of the 85 :)

Seriously I love the game but playing it with so many figures means I spend as long setting them all up and grouping classes together .

Can't wait to see them on PS4 - Swap Force looks great on Current Gen, on Next it's meant to look amazing.

11. SpectreOne3 macrumors member

My son is dying to get his hands on this game. Can someone explain to me how it works? I'm not familiar with the series at all.

12. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Basically you buy the starter pack which comes with three characters.

It's possible to play the game from start to end with just those characters.

However throughout the game you will be told certain characters or traits / elemental forces would be better and will give you bonus experience points for your character.

Also there are certain doors / side levels and mini games that will require again a certain figure or figure type.

You don't have to complete these areas to finish the game but in reality your likely missing a very large part of the game.

There are different characters based in elemental forces. 8 forces in total.

Air
    Water
    Fire
    Magic
    Earth
    Undead
    Tech
    Life

The game plays much like Diablo in the fact you fight monsters via overhead view and level up your characters with experience points in the form of gold dropped by enemy's and special hats hidden throughout the game.

Each of the characters you buy act pretty much like expansion packs as they open up new areas throughout the game.

The new Swap Force characters mix things up as you can basically mix and match your characters so that they can be fire mixed with water forces and such.

There's surprisingly deep RPG style game hidden beneath the fun and beautifully creative figures and characters in the game.

There may be 32 different character toys in Swap Force to complete the collection but in reality you can complete with the starter pack or just make sure you buy 1 of each element to unlock almost everything.

I love the game to be honest and the fact that every figure / character keeps all their stats stored on their chip inside the toy means you can bring characters from the first game into the new one and everything comes with them.

Likewise if your son for example takes hus characters to a friends house he can play with them and benefit from all the unlocks and leveling up he has done at home.

The game also sports a fantastic drop in and drop out co-operative game which means you can help your son during the game.

13. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

I've been adding to my collection some older models including the expensive one figures boomer and ghost roaster.....

And just discovered Amazon.de have the Wave 3 swappables up for pre order so I've ordered

Rubble Rouser, Spy Rise, Stink Bomb, Sheep Wreck Island adventure pack, Dune Bug and light core whamshell .... Good times :) :)

14. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

This is for the Wii U, right? Do you have to buy all these figurines once more when you go PS4?

Please say no! :eek:

15. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

The figurines work on all versions - totally cross platform

Old figures work on new software regardless of format - new figurines won't work on old games unless they are a newer remixed version of older character (despite often telling you it won't work on packaging - they do work with older game).

Yep I play on both Wii U with Giants & Swap Force

And I do have (of course I have) on PS4 as well (swap force) and PS3 (skylanders original & giants)

Looks amazing on PS4 - but I still like playing on Wii U for off screen gameplay :)

Though I did have to buy the starter pack again on PS4 - I traded in the repeated character figurines to gamestop.

16. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Good for you! :D

17. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

This thread cracks me up...there are 16 posts total (17 now with mine) and MRU has made 10 of them! Including 7 of the first 10!

We should encourage more people to post in this thread, so MRU doesn't look as ...er... fanatical in his love of this game and the figurines :D

18. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

:D

Did you actually count my 2-3 trolling posts?! Thank you!

Just kidding. Well, at least he didn't present every single figure on its own. I guess that's a first step. I'd kinda like to play such a game - don't have one in my library at all - and they do look entertaining. But those sky-rocking-mind blowing prices! :eek: No, thank you.

Leaves some more for MRU...

19. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Lol. You cheeky beggar ... should I class this as an intervention :p

----------

Lol... :) :)

I wouldn't mind but your both so right :p please please stop me :D

20. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Intervention needed !!!!

Oh god as if ordering everything from Wave 3 Skylanders wasn't bad enough...

I've done it......

I've succumb to Disney Infinity temptation and gone and got myself

Starter pack on Wii U

Cars play set
    Lone Ranger play set
    Toy Story play set

Mickey Sorcerers Apprentice figure
    Mike MU figure
    Jack Skellington figure
    Woody Toy Story figure

Yes we'll if your gonna dive in... Dive in properly..... :eek:

21. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

22. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

I know.... it already takes me longer preparing to play skylanders and putting my figures away than it does for playing the game, and now disney infinity too arghhhhhh :p

23. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I HATE Disney Infinity. Don't even have the starter pack.

I'm a huge TRON Fan and Toys R Us had exclusive TRON Powerdiscs and Album. Had to keep checking back for exclusive disc packs to grab...

I hate, hate, hate Disney Infinity for this....

(eagerly awaits Disney Infinity TRON figures and Play Sets.... :eek: )

24. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

Here, this is probably NOT the intervention you had in mind:

Skylanders SwapForce Checklist

;)

25. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU