Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Skype today announced that Skype 5 has gone gold, exiting the beta stage that began last November. The company has made a number of tweaks to the application based on user feedback from the beta period, primarily working to reduce the size of the application's window as it attempts to find the optimum layout for the new single-window interface.
We've reduced the minimum window size, so that those of you who prefer to keep Skype to one side of your screen, for example, can do that more easily. We've also tightened up the contact list, so that you can see 30% more contacts at once. We've reduced the amount of whitespace in the sidebar too.

In addition, we've tweaked the way instant messages are displayed to reduce the amount of whitespace, allowing you to see more of your conversations without scrolling.
Other changes include the return of full-screen mode for video calls and easier access to chatting functions during calls.

But probably the most significant change is the shift of group video calling to Skype's premium package, priced at $4.99 per day or $8.99 per month. The feature had been free during the beta testing period, although the company had signaled its intentions to charge for it once it officially launched.

Article Link: Skype 5 for Mac Exits Beta, Group Video Calling Now Premium Feature

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
I hate it. The UI is more bloated. And really multiple video calling... a premium feature? iChat has group video chat for FREE. And iChat isn't bloated with a crazy UI.

Skype 2.8 was a LOT better.

7o7munoz7o7

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Bay Area
see a lot of people/companies out there try to bash Apple, and say they can do something better...but look when it comes down to it...they just cant...even multiple video chats over skypes would-be free service is now charging..$4.99 a DAY thats a rip off (they wont get thrown under the bus for that high fee, but if APPLE tried to charge for it, that would be the new [insert clever name]gate) .If you really want multiple video chats, have everyone get a mac, get a FREE iChat account, and get your multiple video chat up and running for FREE that way.

gdkid2010

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
Iowa
What bull crap. I may just stick with the beta version because I use the video conferencing a lot.

The weird thing is, its still free on the Windows version?

-=XX=-Nephilim

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2009
OMG :eek:

What have they done with the UI!?!?!?!

Can't I have just a small narrow window with a list of all my contacts?

If not I think I am sticking with V2.8...

-=XX=-Nephilim

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2009
I had to watch that video again and I still can't believe the UI !!!!

LOL what on earth have they done :D

Just forget it and stick with 2.8 - simple...

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
$8.99 for video calling, their nuts. This won't last long, no one will want to pay that!

DreamRaj

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2008
!!!!

Why the hell did they make the video conference feature a paid premium thing?! Boo!!

I'll just use v2.8 when I have to use Skype.

grimmace

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2003
Boston
Thanks guys.. I did update that a few weeks ago but didnt notice the "video call" button. Nice.. I will test that one out later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.