Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

louiell

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2009
get unlocked phone and do what you want

I just bought a nokia E71, understand not iPhone, but I can make calls using VOIP app Fring to/from gchat and skype, not the greatest on edge network, but on 3G/Wifi is as good as a regular cell call. I can also do video chat as well, not as great but proof of concept is there. Go register yourself an IMEI number of a cheap goPhone, buy the 15$ unlimited data plan and then put your sim in a high powered unlocked phone and totally avoid paying the 30 dollar fee that they would charge you if only they knew what phone you had. At least most of you aren't using a Verizon phone, all the capability of the phone taken out because Verizon puts their own OS over the top of the manufacturer.

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2008
New York
Looks like the Skype application has been taken down. Just took this screen...

skypeapp.PNG

EDIT: It has also been removed from iTunes.

iphonerain

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2009
As a consumer, I of course support Skype being readily available on any device that has the capability of supporting it. After all, it's not illegal to use it on the computer w/your cable/dsl/wifi. Why should it be illegal to use it on any other device that supports this function? But I understand why businesses are panicking over it. People might switch networks to AT&T and choose the lowest possible plans and take advantage of Skype to make calls. In this economy it's probably better for Skype's usage to be limited so that networks don't all go out of business and put an insurmountable amount of people out of jobs.... (yes, yes, I know how this sounds.. but we're in an economy where 8.3% of the population in the US are unemployed..)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.