Skype, iChat, FaceTime, AIM....Which Service Do You Use?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by HappyDude20, Feb 11, 2011.

?

1. Skype

14 vote(s)
    41.2%
  2. iChat

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. FaceTime

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  4. AIM

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. Other..

9 vote(s)
    26.5%
  1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I've come to realize that an array of friends and family use all sorts of messaging service. This is becoming increasingly important considering soon i'll be packing up and moving to Japan for 6 months; where it'll be important to keep in contact with family.

Skype: I enjoy Skype, considering for a low monthly fee it allows me to make free calls. Something that'll come in handy when i'm abroad, needing to make local calls and even free Skype to Skype calls. Currently, only my best friend has Skype...and uncle, lol, but hardly keep in touch with him.

iChat: I enjoy this program, though currently only my sister logs on. She's also the only other family member that has a Mac as well. We enjoy sharing files, but more-so sharing each others screen. This has allowed us to get actual school work done, considering she's in New York and i'm in Cali...and soon to be Japan. & though we haven't done this, I know we can both sit down on different ended Macs and watch the same iTunes movie at the same time.

FaceTime: I'll be first to say that I hate the quality of FaceTime. Skype and even Gmail's Google Talk have incredibly better video quality...but FaceTime seems to be the popular choice here, considering both my mom and dad just got iPhones, alongside with my sister. Also, another buddy has a Mac and we've FaceTimed a bit too.

AIM: I haven't used the AIM app since getting a Mac back in 2006, but I still use my AIM SN, which is connected to my Google Talk and iChat as well...

..I know there are others but really these are the ones that seems most prevalent. Just wondering about you guys.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I use multiple services ... mainly AIM and Skype. AIM for text based conversations, and Skype for video. (AIM's video servers suck ... frequent disconnect, trash quality). I use iChat as a client for AIM.

Just curious, how come you're moving to Japan? And do you know Japanese?

3. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I'm moving to go teach for 6 months, though the time there is tentative. MY sister is also graduating from university in NY, so in a few months i'll be secretly flying from Japan to NY, without telling anyone to surprise her and see her graduate. The rest of the family is a bit disappointed that I can't make it to her graduation, but little do they know the flight from Japan to NY has been booked.

As for the messaging services, FaceTime is the most used so far, though I really like iChat, considering it can do a bit more. I really hope Apple combines the programs after this initial beta that's currently out.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

How about none of the above?

I don't use any of those.

5. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

That's why "other" is listed. :D

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

That is really cool! If you don't mind me asking, what are you going to go teach? Oh, do you speak Japanese?

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

8. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I said other, because in Adium I have AIM, YIM and MSN all and probly use them equally. I have no preference, just whoever happens to be be on using whatever.

I prefer Skype, though..

9. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

I used Skype twice to chat with my sister, and since then I've gone back to the phone.

It works just as well, not being as convincing as real life eye contact.

10. 2056 macrumors 6502

I mostly use Adium. Once in a while I will use Skype with friends.

11. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

12. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I'll be teaching English. I do not speak japanese at all but I'm going to learn it when I'm out there. When I lived in china I picked up the language but have since forgotten it. However Japanese is a language im truly motivated in learning.

13. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I used to use AIM - not because I like it, but because everyone uses it.

But I've largely abandoned AIM and replaced it with texting. I use FaceTime for video calls because the interface is easy to use. Quality-wise it's fine. Skype might be better, but I hate the program.

So... yeah. I picked FaceTime :)

14. tman07 macrumors regular

I chose other.

I use gmail chat with both my personal email and my school email (google apps FTMFW) and actively chat on both of these daily. I used to be on aim, but i cannot remember the last time i used that.

I skype and facetime (both with my phone) every now and again as well. mostly skype to talk to family and facetime with friends.

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I use Skype to talk to my daughter in college.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

17. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

facebook chat occasionally, but i mostly just text or call people.

18. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Facebook chat most of the time (even though it is more unstable than AIM).
    Facetime with 2 of my good friends from college. Never wanted to Skype, never want to.

Haven't used IM (Adium) in about 3 years, definitely don't miss it.

If you want to get ahold of me, you've got my phone number text me is my thinking.

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Facebook chat is a pain in the ass to use. It is so clunky I try to avoid it.

20. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I use Adium on my Mac, Trillian on my phone, Facetime to check with friends and family back home.

21. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

22. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

iChat: I use it, but only as a client for my ICQ account.
    FaceTime: I use this multiple times a day, as my girlfriend and I use this as an alternative to phone calls.
    AIM: Since ICQ is now part of AIM, I guess I use this.
    Other: None.

23. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Wow...I remember when everyone used AIM and you would have like 200 buddies on at once and 20+ windows open...I log onto AIM once every few months and rarely are more than 5 people on. I use Skype but only professionally. I honestly hate all communication technologies that are not in-person.