Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I wonder if developments like this will cause limitations in data plans. Will these "unlimited" data plans become (more) limited as a result?

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
i dont even have an iPhone yet :D but i am so excited to use Skype in the background over 3G for chatting and to call overseas Skype users for free. it sounds like a very seamless experience.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
oops that YouTube video was uploaded back in February when Skype where planning VOIP over 3G, but never happened. so no official release yet.

my bad :eek: i thought this was a new development, but the 9to5mac article didnt make it immediately apparent.

RichL

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Chicago
i rather just use the minutes from my plan

Cool story, bro.

So being able to use it on 3G means we can still use the free service? Or does this mean we have to buy their minutes? I'm assuming it would be free Skype to Skype but paid Skype to phone # (as it is now).

This will be badass for overseas calls :)

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
hi rich!

So being able to use it on 3G means we can still use the free service? Or does this mean we have to buy their minutes? I'm assuming it would be free Skype to Skype but paid Skype to phone # (as it is now). …

ya calls to Skype is free and Skype minutes for regular calls.

… This will be badass for overseas calls :)

what im thinking and for mobile chats too! seamless experience with the VOIP multitasking API as well.

although it hasnt been released (see my last post).

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
Google voice pretty much renders Skype useless for American users. Plus Skype was never really that popular in the US to begin with, and iPhone is most popular in the states. I think with Google moving into the VOIP business, Skype will lose steam very quickly.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
I'd really like to be happy about this, but the truth is I don't use my iPhone for calls that much due to the terrible AT&T network. So because of this I have a ton of rollover minutes and with unlimited nights and weekends, I just don't see how Skype being on 3G would save me anything.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
I'd really like to be happy about this, but the truth is I don't use my iPhone for calls that much due to the terrible AT&T network. So because of this I have a ton of rollover minutes and with unlimited nights and weekends, I just don't see how Skype being on 3G would save me anything.

I've been using skype over 3g for 2 weeks and it's VERY good.

For me if AT&T had data only plan I would jump on it. AT&T coverage in Philly is very, very good.

Marc

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
I've been using skype over 3g for 2 weeks and it's VERY good.

For me if AT&T had data only plan I would jump on it. AT&T coverage in Philly is very, very good.

Marc

Before anyone asks: He is most likely jailbroken using something to convince his phone it is on wifi.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
I wonder if developments like this will cause limitations in data plans. Will these "unlimited" data plans become (more) limited as a result?

Note that AT&T already does "reserve the right", even with their "unlimited" plan, to impose additional charges if you exceed 5 gigabytes...

AT&T said:
If you are on a data plan that does not include a monthly MB/GB allowance and additional data usage rates, you agree that AT&T has the right to impose additional charges if you use more than 5 GB in a month; provided that, prior to the imposition of any additional charges, AT&T shall provide you with notice and you shall have the right to terminate your Service.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Note that AT&T already does "reserve the right", even with their "unlimited" plan, to impose additional charges if you exceed 5 gigabytes...

Yes, I know..... that's why I put quotes around "unlimited", and put brackets around the word "more" in the phrase "(more) limited."

Others probably don't know this, so it's good you clarified....

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Skype will be updated soon to allow voice over 3G as Apple has recently changed the SDK terms of service. no date has been set yet.

along with the VOIP multitasking API this will make Skype calls a lot more usable on the iPhone and totally mobile.

http://www.9to5mac.com/node/15789

Didn't apple change the SDK terms a while ago? I have other voip/sip apps that have been updated to work over 3G months ago.

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
oops that YouTube video was uploaded back in February when Skype where planning VOIP over 3G, but never happened. so no official release yet.

my bad :eek: i thought this was a new development, but the 9to5mac article didnt make it immediately apparent.

This doesn't make it clear enough to you?

"Skype released the following video in February saying that 3G calls would be coming soon."

That was posted in text above the video, what else can they do to make it clear to you besides you going to youtube and looking at the upload date?

bks691

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2009

Yeah right! Att has never said anything and every month I'm over 20gigs of data, and it's been that way for a couple of years now. Att could care less :p

outphase

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
What part of the contract says anything about a 5GB limit?
Can you point us to this nonexistant fact/rumor?

I believe it is found here http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/plan-terms.jsp

If you are on a data plan that does not include a monthly MB/GB allowance and additional data usage rates, you agree that AT&T has the right to impose additional charges if you use more than 5 GB in a month; provided that, prior to the imposition of any additional charges, AT&T shall provide you with notice and you shall have the right to terminate your Service.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
What part of the contract says anything about a 5GB limit?
Can you point us to this nonexistant fact/rumor?

I quoted it above. It was instituted in order to address tethering. It's meant as a soft cap with no imposed financial penalty, but gave AT&T the right to "discuss" your usage with you and review it at their discretion. It is now being re-discussed as a means of addressing VOIP. It was handled that way after New York sued Verizon for doing the same thing - advertising their "unlimited data plan" as being unlimited when it actually had a 5 gig cap.

You can review your rate plan contract, or at least the operable one on AT&T's website. You can also google or mroogle it - it's been discussed a lot here on MR too.

Don't get your panties too much in a bunch. It's just AT&T getting nervous about their already-criticized bandwidth problems getting worse if VOIP and tethering get to be a big deal. I'm not aware they've actually imposed any real penalties yet.

I did note in a couple of the articles that the ATT CEO did acknowledge specifically that the iPad "unlimited" data plan (for $30) was indeed unlimited and not subject to the 5 gig review rule.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
You and many many others :D
The soft cap is pretty much meaningless.
Ah..so now you do acknowledge this soft cap "nonexistent fact/rumor"?

I agree, at this point it's relatively meaningless since AFAIK they've never implemented it and don't seem to apply it across all of their data products. Which is why I characterized it as them "reserving the right" rather than "instituting new restrictions". As far as I know, they haven't instituted anything. Yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.