Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Yeah right! Att has never said anything and every month I'm over 20gigs of data, and it's been that way for a couple of years now. Att could care less :p

How the hell do you do 20 gigs a month? Do you tether? :confused:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Ah..so now you do acknowledge this soft cap "nonexistent fact/rumor"?

I agree, at this point it's relatively meaningless since AFAIK they've never implemented it and don't seem to apply it across all of their data products. Which is why I characterized it as them "reserving the right" rather than "instituting new restrictions". As far as I know, they haven't instituted anything. Yet.

I didnt even know if the 5GB part was mentioned in the actual contract or if it was just a misconception or rumor.
Thanks for pointing us to it though.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
Cool story, bro.

So being able to use it on 3G means we can still use the free service? Or does this mean we have to buy their minutes? I'm assuming it would be free Skype to Skype but paid Skype to phone # (as it is now).

This will be badass for overseas calls :)

We have a family plan; 700 minutes, unlimited text, data on one iPhone, 4 phones on the plan.

I use the minutes most in the plan and normally 700 minutes is used by the billing cycle.

I've been using skype over 3g for s month, for the billing cycle.

Only used 125 AT&T minutes because I used skype over 3g most.

I purchased skypes unlimited USA/ Canada calling for $2.95/month.
Then I got a free incoming number from ring2skype. The only downside to this free incoming number is that one had to input the extension number when they call the regular number. I wanted to use this as a test. But now I will purchase a skype incoming number.

Using 3g over skype doesn't go into AT&T minutes.

The quality is pretty good. So good that if I could downgrade my minutes to 200 or just have data only and unlimited text I would jump on it.

For $2.95/month to me it's worth it.

Marc

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Google voice pretty much renders Skype useless for American users. Plus Skype was never really that popular in the US to begin with, and iPhone is most popular in the states. I think with Google moving into the VOIP business, Skype will lose steam very quickly.

How so? GV is not a VOIP service (well, except for those Gizmo5 users). GV can help you make cheap long distance (if you don't already have it included in your plan) or international calls, but as it currently sits, it still has to use your provider's phone line to dial the GV exchange.

The only thing I use GV for is replacement voicemail. Skype is huge among people I know and work with in the US.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.