Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the last few days Skype has been updating its app for the Mac and iOS platforms, bringing about full support for new system updates like El Capitan and iOS 9 along with new multitasking and shortcut features.

The first update by the company came on Wednesday with Skype 7.13 for Mac, which brought about full support for OS X 10.11 El Capitan. The new Mac update allows users to place Skype into a Split View window so they can multitask with another app while the voice and text chatting service runs on the side. The company additionally streamlined a few ways to add friends on the service, letting users easily connect with their Mac address book to discover people who also use Skype.

ipad-skype.jpg

Beginning yesterday, Skype also brought in full iOS 9 support to iPad and iPhone devices, with the introduction of Slide Over and Split View for the iPad. Just like the Mac version, Split View allows iPad users to multitask Skype alongside an alternative app like Safari or Messages, and Slide Over provides a brief glimpse into the Skype experience with an overlay placed on top of the current app. Both multitasking experiences only function with IM and voice calls on the service.
Millions of people use Skype every day to share URLs and photos. iOS9's new Split View and Slide Over capabilities let you use Skype while using another app alongside it, making sharing your content even better. Imagine you're planning a night out in London with a group of friends using IM or a group voice call. Now you can share links to bars and restaurants and decide on the best place to meet without having to leave the app, just click on the shared content and bring it alongside your Skype conversation. It's a great way to get things done together.
Available for both the iPad and iPhone, the new Skype update introduced the ability for users to respond to messages within banners and from the lock screen, as well. The update is also streamlining the way to begin conversations, with an improved ability to search for a specific Skype contact from the Spotlight search within iOS and then jump straight into chat with them.

Mac and iOS users can upgrade to the newest versions of Skype for Mac, Skype for iPhone [Direct Link] and Skype for iPad [Direct Link] right now.

Article Link: Skype Updates for iOS and Mac Bring Multitasking and Shortcut Features

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Still waiting for Skype for Business on Mac. Lync 2011 is so very very painful in 2015.

Reactions: snowmoon

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
They didn't update Skype's web view with the new Safari controller, so content blockers still don't work. Still, progress...

Doffy86

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2015
iOS has been getting quite powerful lately. Hmmm I wonder what's in store for iOS 10 since that's a milestone in itself.

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
I'm tired of waiting for other apps that I really wanted to take advantage of iOS 9 features for at least PIP. Are you listening Netflix, WatchESPN, NBA Game Time, SlingTV, Hulu and etc. This feature shouldn't have been no tweaking required for the devs it should have automatically work right when we updated to iOS 9. I'm sure they'll be taking all their time and later make it like a big deal when they got their apps updated.

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States
I ported a skype number to google voice yesterday. Skype can't receive text messages. It was a deal breaker. Bye bye skype.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Does it fix the issue that Skype is such a piece of junk and sucks in general and somehow never works when you need it to? Would be great if they fixed that.

Reactions: snowmoon

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Are they still keeping a constant connection to their servers open whenever you are logged in, rather than using push notifications? Skype's relentless battery burning is what made me stop using it on my phone years ago.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I dont have that problem, recheck your settings that you havent put them off like I did before, or just reinstall because it works perfectly fine with me :)

Reinstalling does nothing. Skype's notifications have always been flaky for me.

Are they still keeping a constant connection to their servers open whenever you are logged in, rather than using push notifications? Skype's relentless battery burning is what made me stop using it on my phone years ago.

It's fine now.

Reactions: JosephAW

applepuree

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2014
incoming calls function perfectly. if its not ringing its almost certainly a settings issue

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.