SL and FanControl

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Goettel, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Goettel macrumors member

Hi all,

Have any of you installed SL on your mac previously running FanControl? Does it still run? Any problems with it would be a bummer as I will not upgrade untill I know FanControl will be able to keep my processor from hitting 95°C before my fans react.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Great that smcFanControl 2.2.2 should be fully compatible according to link. My hope was that with Snow Leopard 10.6 Apple finally had correct fan control by default instead of their old toy drivers. Bummer.

Anyone tested if Bootcamp have better working drivers now than the old broken ones? Or if you still have to rev up your fans in fan control before booting into windows?

4. Thomas Davie macrumors 6502

SMC Fan Control works for me; Fan Control does not. C'est la vie.

Tom

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Oops. Forgot there was a difference. smcFanControl is what I'm running.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Latest version of smcFanControl works fine with me. I only mis iStat Menus.

7. Thomas Davie macrumors 6502

Apologies for me getting something wrong. Fan Control (and extended Fan control) work just fine; it was iStat menu not working that led me to believe that Fan Control wasn't working. It was, and is. When opening up the prefpane (for Fan Control) though, System Preferences has to close and restart and then it can be controlled/modified. I know that it works because I set the lower threshold to 30 C, and the fans ramped up immediately.

Tom

8. Goettel thread starter macrumors member

Great news:D

Now only if they could get 10.6.1 and 10.6.2 out the doors I might update... a moth or two maybe...:rolleyes:

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Most people are doing that. Just from using it since this morning, there doesn't seem to be many annoyances or none that were reported (other than incompatible applications but that was already expected). I can confidently say Snow Leopard so far has been solid and the experience has been so much better than when Leopard was first released in terms of bugs/annoyances.