Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

If you're someone who wears your Apple Watch while sleeping, you may be familiar with the Sleep++ app for the Apple Watch, which offers sleep tracking and analyzing functionality.

Sleep++ was today updated to version 3 and it's gained a new feature that makes it easier than ever to keep track of sleep quality, length, and other metrics while sleeping -- automatic tracking.

sleepappautomatictracking-800x648.jpg

The Sleep++ automatic sleep tracking feature kicks in when Apple Watch wearers go to bed at night and stops tracking in the morning, so Sleep++ users no longer need to start and stop sleep tracking every night. For more precise tracking, though, manual options continue to be available.

Today's Sleep++ update also includes other features like bedtime reminders, notifications with a summary of the previous night's sleep quality, and the ability to set a nightly sleep goal to reach.

Apple Watch does not have any built-in sleep tracking capabilities because Apple has designed it to be charged at night and worn during the day, but third-party apps are able to provide this missing functionality for users who prefer to wear their watches to bed.

Apple does offer a sleep tracking solution in the form of the Beddit, an accessory that it acquired last year. The Beddit sleep tracker, which also offers automatic sleep tracking, slips under your sheet and monitors sleep quality, heart rate, and other metrics. It does cost $150, though, so it's far less affordable than a third-party Apple Watch app.

Sleep++ can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Sleep++ App for Apple Watch Now Offers Automatic Sleep Tracking

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Maybe version 3 is more accurate, but I gave up on this app a while ago when I left it "on" during the day and it said I got better sleep then than I was getting at night.

dooganau

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2016
How is the battery for the new Apple watch? I use a Xiaomi device to track my sleep because of the long life charge it holds (30days). Wouldn't dream of using my Apple watch because I have to charge it every night.

Reactions: johnmed and SBlue1

Graxxer

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2017
Durham, UK
I'm still pondering, what do people use sleep data for? Say if I see that rolling around all night and not getting enough sleep, then what? It's not like these apps are providing suggestion how to improve sleep patterns.

To be honest, it can be helpful in the long term in identifying bad sleep patterns and habits. Much like general fitness tracking, it can be used as positive reinforcement to help address such habits.

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
I'm still pondering, what do people use sleep data for? Say if I see that rolling around all night and not getting enough sleep, then what? It's not like these apps are providing suggestion how to improve sleep patterns.

I suffer from PTSD it allows me to keep a log of sleep patterns leading up to any events I have. Also some can record audio during the night which my dr has found useful.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
How is the battery for the new Apple watch? I use a Xiaomi device to track my sleep because of the long life charge it holds (30days). Wouldn't dream of using my Apple watch because I have to charge it every night.
I charge my Apple Watch Series 3 (when I forget to take it off and charge it before going to take a shower) once every two-three days.

I turn on theater mode before I go to sleep every day (to help conserve battery life) and I use AutoSleep to monitor my heart rate when I'm sleeping as well.

Apple_Robert

macrumors Penryn
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
If a person has trouble sleeping, he or she can hit up MacRumors for several hours of good reading. That should do it. :)

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003

By itself it isn't really that useful. However, if you're sleepwalking or going to the bathroom a lot at night you'll be able to see it.

That's the problem with a lot of the health data, it isn't useful by itself; you need more data points from other devices. You do have to start somewhere, though.

Reactions: QuarterSwede

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
2.5 days without turning anything off. It gets 3 if you turn on silent and theater mode. Battery life is absolutely not an issue with the series 3. They’ve licked it.

lyricthejoe

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2011
I can’t imagine wearing an Apple Watch to bed - sounds uncomfortable. I also agree with the earlier comment - what do people do with sleep data anyway?

Sure, it’s interesting to know how well you slept, maybe how many REM cycles per night, but that’s it. Maybe if you’re at the doctors office and they ask how you’ve been sleeping, then you could actually say... o_O

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
It's useful when you have a young kid or baby. If the kid wakes up, you will wake up and you will know when and how long.

noraa

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
Been using AutoSleep for a while and love it. However, will keep an eye non sleep++ to see if it maybe worth switching (I highly doubt it though). As far as the benefits of sleep tracking, for me I have sleep apnea and it helps me gauge the usefulness of various is remedies. AutoSleep also helps with that as it records both your heart rate as well as movements. Finally, I can be a restless sleeper, so it provides good data points if I have a particularly restless night, and I can try and correlate that to what may have gone on during the day/evening (what did I eat, did I drink, excercise, was I anxious, etc. )

Reactions: Mike Oxard

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I don't have a sleep app installed so I just downloaded this to give it a try. Unlike many other sleep apps this is free so I have little to lose.

My thoughts exactly. I'm trying the app and, if I like it, I'll pay the $1.99 to remove adverts.
[doublepost=1521597986][/doublepost]
I can’t imagine wearing an Apple Watch to bed - sounds uncomfortable.

Not at all - I do it every weeknight. I find an alarm on my wrist much more pleasant to wake up to than a buzzer on my night stand.

I have a charging cable on my desk at work, and the watch charges pretty fast - the system works pretty well.

rjp1

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2015
Awful. It lasts less than a day if you are active. If you wear it as a fashion accessory you can get more than a day, but that is about it. Not sure when you’d charge to use this app.

Reactions: deeside81

mhornback2

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2011
Vancouver, Washington
I have been using a different sleep app, AutoSleep Tracker. It is really great. I don’t need to turn the tracker on and off. I don’t have to set it to a certain time to monitor.

It just works.

I love the data it provides, including quality, “deep” sleep, heart rate, obviously hours. It compares each night to last seven day average and keeps several months of data.

It has helped encourage me to get a proper amount of sleep each night and it has helped me immensely!

I’m sure there are other good ones. Test them out. Find one and use it!

Reactions: ErikGrim

Mtmspa

Suspended
May 13, 2013

I have the Apple 3 watch and charge it every two or here days. Wearing at night is not an issue.

MDF314159265

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
Temecula, CA

Once upon a time, I used to wonder the same thing... then I got a stressful job. Then I got my own place. Then I had my first kid. Then second kid....

Once upon a time, sleep was just something you did 7-8 hours a day. Then it became something you wished you could do more of, and you realize that you cannot survive on just 4 hours of it on a regular basis. Not me, anyway.

Having a way to monitor your sleep and the quality of, and comparing to other factors, such as “did I complete all my tasks that day?” And “did I exercise enough?” And “what did I eat that day/night?” - this all helps.
That way, you can figure out the best routine to good sleep, so you can do the same thing every day very well, day in and day out for the next 30-50 years, then retire and die. But least you got a good nights rest for many years!

Someirishguy

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2016
Once upon a time, I used to wonder the same thing... then I got a stressful job. Then I got my own place. Then I had my first kid. Then second kid....

Once upon a time, sleep was just something you did 7-8 hours a day. Then it became something you wished you could do more of, and you realize that you cannot survive on just 4 hours of it on a regular basis. Not me, anyway.

Having a way to monitor your sleep and the quality of, and comparing to other factors, such as “did I complete all my tasks that day?” And “did I exercise enough?” And “what did I eat that day/night?” - this all helps.
That way, you can figure out the best routine to good sleep, so you can do the same thing every day very well, day in and day out for the next 30-50 years, then retire and die. But least you got a good nights rest for many years!
Hear hear!!

xxxda1xxx

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2017
as much as i like the apple watch i cant wear them... the only thing that its stopping me is whenever i wear the apple watch i got this tingly & numbness on my arms so i stop wearing it.. then returned it... alot of people having this problem but hoping that apple will resolve this.. maybe just maybe come out with two smartwatch one without the heart sensor & the other will have it..

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
as much as i like the apple watch i cant wear them... the only thing that its stopping me is whenever i wear the apple watch i got this tingly & numbness on my arms so i stop wearing it.. then returned it... alot of people having this problem but hoping that apple will resolve this.. maybe just maybe come out with two smartwatch one without the heart sensor & the other will have it..

Why do you think light is giving you numbness?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.