Sleep not working when lid shuts.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by windywoo, Jun 4, 2009.

1. windywoo macrumors 6502a

windywoo

I recently took apart my iBook G4 to put a new CD drive in. Mission successful, but now I have the unwelcome side effect that my laptop won't sleep when I close the lid. If I manually choose sleep all is fine, but even though I changed the power saving to best battery it won't sleep with the lid closed.

Is there something I forgot to reconnect? I followed an extremely detailed guide on ifixit I'm almost certain I did everything right when I put it back together. Is it possible that something is simply misaligned because the case doesn't feel quite as tight as before.

*EDIT* Sleep works OK on a timer too.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

There is supposed to be a magnet attached to the underside of the top part of the lower case which triggers a sensor located in the bezel of the display. If either the magnet or the sensor is out of place, the computer won't detect that it has been closed.

Take the machine apart again and make sure the magnet is positioned correctly. I'm not sure about the G4, but on my G3 the magnet is on the right side just ahead of the right arrow key. The magnet is strong enough that you can detect it through the plastic case using a metal object.

3. windywoo thread starter macrumors 6502a

windywoo

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

If I have the correct model, the reed switch is on a board which is mounted to the CD drive using an adhesive pad. Its positing is in the corner nearest the battery compartment (parallel to the compartment). Its cable plugs into the main board just behind the CD drive's cable.

So, I would guess either the board didn't transferred from the old drive, it didn't get mounted in the correct position, or, perhaps the cable didn't get plugged back onto the main board.

Again, if I found the correct model (12" iBook G4 mid 2005). On the late 2004 model, the reed switch was in the display bezel, and a magnet was put under the top case (on palm rest below left speaker). So, as mentioned, it could have been that, too.

I guess I've covered both cases, at least - hopefully, one it the correct version and you'll figure out what didn't get replaced, fell off, unplugged or... ;)

6. windywoo thread starter macrumors 6502a

windywoo

This is a pain, I have that rectangular magnet but I can't remember where it came from. I found it stuck to the bottom of the replacement drive, but since there wasn't one on the original I just thought it ended up there accidentally. I pretty much transferred anything removable from the old drive to the new. I would hate to have to open all that stuff up again but hey ho, I might have to.

My iBook is a 1.07GHz model, I am guessing its one of the older ones because that site mentions higher processor speed models. I really hope its as simple as putting it under the left speaker.

7. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

edit: (text removed) - I had too early a model. I stick with the late '04 or early '05 from my previous.

8. windywoo thread starter macrumors 6502a

windywoo

[​IMG]
    I hope this diagram is right. I am in college now and the magnet is of course at home :( Looks fairly simple to do, not so many layers to remove as when I replaced the drive.

9. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Not sure what that is - it's on the top cover shield, and from a different model (possibly). The two models it sounds like you have (still not sure) are the mid '05 and late '04.

One of them has the magnet in the display, along the right edge ('05). The reed switch is along side/on the CD drive itself.

The other, has the magnet under the top case, but near the left speaker. The reed switch is in the display bezel.

Just from experience, it seems more likely the reed board was simple left unplugged or it's still taped to the old drive.

see attached: (from Apple Service Manual - credit where due, and all)

Attached Files:

10. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

For reference, you may be able to find your specific model on Apple's support site.

As for the rest, I'll defer to gr8fly's superior knowledge of hardware. Since you have the magnet, I would assume that it comes from the case itself rather than from the bezel unless you've done a fair bit of unnecessary disassembly, which would give you the late '04 model.

11. windywoo thread starter macrumors 6502a

windywoo

Thanks all for the advice. I found the sweet spot for the reed switch and it seemed to align with the picture I posted. I had to take more apart than I bargained for but the magnet is now in position and I can be lazy again, putting the wee thing to sleep just by shutting the lid.

12. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Glad you found it. But, hey, that's half the fun!