Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HostaDesigner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
I've been reading up on this sleep/wake/reboot problem with the Mac Pros. Maybe I'm out of the loop here, but is this really anything new? Back in college, on old OS9 machines, we didn't set the computers to sleep ... ever. If left for a long time, they'll go into a "deep sleep" and you'll never get them to wake without rebooting (reset button). My current G4 (about 6 years old) has ALWAYS done this on both OS9 and when I upgraded to OSX. Every Mac I've ever used, for the past 9-10 years has had this problem. I find it hard to believe that I'm alone here.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Haven't seen that myself - I have a G3 server running 10.2 that's been running 24/7 for somewhere in the 4-5 years range. It's had many uptimes in the 5-6 month range (mostly time between major power outages that will run the UPS down). Just bought a replacement G4 that's running 10.5 as a burn-in test and it's been going for a about 10 days now.

astrostu

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
In my 15-year experience, yes, waking up from sleep has always been an issue with Macs.

Roy

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2006
I've been reading up on this sleep/wake/reboot problem with the Mac Pros. Maybe I'm out of the loop here, but is this really anything new? Back in college, on old OS9 machines, we didn't set the computers to sleep ... ever. If left for a long time, they'll go into a "deep sleep" and you'll never get them to wake without rebooting (reset button). My current G4 (about 6 years old) has ALWAYS done this on both OS9 and when I upgraded to OSX. Every Mac I've ever used, for the past 9-10 years has had this problem. I find it hard to believe that I'm alone here.

Same here. Nothing new.

bigbird

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
Canada
I'm still flogging away on a Powermac G4 until I get my new MP. To the point, the Powermac would always awake from sleeping with a mouse or keyboard click. It NEVER would need rebooting from sleeping. However, once I added a USB 2.0 PCI card to the Powermac, it would ALWAYS need rebooting after sleeping. Needless to say, I took out the USB PCI card and now the sleep operation is back to normal. Hopefully the new MP sleep issue will be easy for Apple to fix.

RonOot

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
My G4 MDD started having sleep issues when I went to Leopard. I am reasonably certain it is because of my USB 2.0 PCI card, but I can't afford to take it out. Other than that, every other mac I've ever had has been fine.

eviltobz

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2007
my 20" g4 imac and 2x2ghz g5 powermac have both been fine waking from sleep over the last 5 years or so and they have been slept a lot. however, when i've had a variety usb or firewire audio interfaces that were bus powered connected they would nearly always have problems with corrupting audio when the pooter woke although i could solve that by just unplugging & reconnecting the unit. so as has already been implied in this thread, it seems to me that it depends on what stuff it hooked into the mac as to whether or not it will work.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
Why don't people just disable sleep and just have their screen saver on, until this is fixed? Apart from power saving would there be any disadvantages?

HostaDesigner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Why don't people just disable sleep and just have their screen saver on, until this is fixed? Apart from power saving would there be any disadvantages?

Kind of along the lines I'm thinking. ;) This problem really doesn't bother me. Like I said, nothing new here.

(New MP within hours. Eagerly waiting)

Reach

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2006
Norway
Since my first LCII, and through my history of at least 10 Macs, sleep has never been an issue. It has never been talked about as much of an issue either, so I would be surprised if there were many people having major issues with this forever.

HostaDesigner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Be sure and let us know how the new "baby sleeps".:D

I should be able to see how it sleeps tonight. I got my MP on Monday, but sadly learned that my old 17" clear display wouldn't work. I never even thought about it. My new display will be here today, so I can actually get it running this afternoon.

I'll be shocked if I have no problems whatsoever.

HostaDesigner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Shocking. (rolls eyes)

I have the same problem of a reboot when trying to wake the computer.

I'm on a MP 2.8GHz 8-core.

Jupeman

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
I never have troubles with my MacBook Pro sleeping.

I never have my Powermac sleep.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Had my Mac Pro asleep most of today, no issues upon waking up. Then again, I'm on a 2006 model.

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
i recently just started putting the sleep function on my 2.66ghz MacPro Quad (feb 2007) and it just keeps it alittle cooler as i dont need it consistantly running, but it beats a cold/hard start up each and everytime.

the only weird thing is, i have a light/fan fixture in my Macpro office, and everytime i pull the cable with the light to go on my MacPro wakes up ( i turn the fans on but usually keep the lights off..)_ but when i turn them on it must send a current through the electricity to wake the macpro??

thats kind of odd...is this a bad sign or just the fact my house was built some 20 years ago?

martinlk

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2005
Aalborg, Denmark
the only weird thing is, i have a light/fan fixture in my Macpro office, and everytime i pull the cable with the light to go on my MacPro wakes up ( i turn the fans on but usually keep the lights off..)_ but when i turn them on it must send a current through the electricity to wake the macpro??

I have no idea why this happens, but my iMac G5 did the same thing. I read once on this forum that there are many users experiencing this, so I guess it's not a malfunction. It wasn't a problem for me since I set my iMac to ask for a password on wake, and if the password dialog box "times out," the machine would just go right back to sleep again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.