Sleep vs Power off

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crazykid888, Oct 9, 2010.

1. crazykid888 macrumors newbie

What is best for the MBP,
    to put it to sleep or to turn it off every time between uses?

2. lbro macrumors 6502a

lbro

I always put it to sleep and only shut it completely off when necessary (updates, etc.).

3. celticpride678

Sleep is better and quicker than shutdown in between uses.

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Neither one is better per se, but if it's any consolation, I always leave my mbp sleeping, and it's served me well for over 3 years.

I love not having any downtime, and the ability to leave things like iCal, Stickies, and Mail always "up."

Just keep your computer updated and you can leave it sleeping for as long as you like. :)

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Sleep. It's rare I even restart. If it's not going to be used for a few days, I might shut it down (if on travel for instance).

6. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Sleep most of the, like when going back and forth between home and the office. Power off on long trips.

7. puma1552 macrumors 601

I think a combo of both is best. Sometimes I'll sleep it for a night or two, then shut it down, then sleep it for a three nights, then shut it down each night for the next two, etc. I just do what I feel like, it's good to shut it down to clear the RAM.

FWIW if traveling I always shut it down because I don't like the idea that something just might wake it up or go awry and then have it overheating itself in its sleeve in my bag for hours...I shut it down purely for precaution.

8. chocolate632 macrumors 6502

When my iMac starts to act sluggish after a few days of sleeping it I shut it down and it seems to help.

9. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Not to sound too sarcastic READ THE MANUAL, the information you want is in there.

10. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Sleep.

Can't charge an iPhone when the host is off.

11. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I always sleep my computers unless I won't be using it for more than a couple days then it gets turned off.

12. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

13. citizenal macrumors regular

I always put it to sleep during the day while I use it and shut it off during the night.