Sleep/Wake Button Not Raised Enough?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by portishead, Sep 24, 2012.

1. portishead, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012

portishead macrumors 65816

I've had a lot of iPhones over the years, and the white iPhone 5 I have, well the sleep/wake (lock) button on top feels like it's not raised enough. It makes it a little harder to press. I think I had a similar feeling lock button on my original iPhone. It kind of bugs me now, but I will probably get used to it. Anyone experience this?

2. iorderediphone5 macrumors member

Bugs me too. This is what I've got on my current 5. I had a previous 5 that I had swapped out because it wouldn't vibrate that did not have this problem. I went to the Apple Store today and they would not swap it out. I know its a borderline phantom-problem but I thought they always swapped out phones for any reason...:confused:

3. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I was noticing the same thing today. Having a Bodyguardz skin on it only exacerbates the problem as well.

4. iorderediphone5 macrumors member

I told the woman at the Apple Store this too... I said it's hard to even press with any kind of case on it. She said they will only swap it out if it stops working.

She also said home button, however, can be swapped out for whatever reason :confused::confused::confused::confused:

5. kellte2 macrumors regular

This is bogus. I wouldn't fool with it, however, until it stops functioning. As a matter of fact, my button just broke. Glad that it made it a week.

6. iorderediphone5 macrumors member

Yeah I believe I got a bad Genius... One Genius told me last year explicitly "If you're not 100% happy with it, we'll replace it"

Good news is that I have a 100% perfect home button for the first time... I'm just gonna go on iFixit and try and tighten the sleep button myself.

7. ThisIsMe macrumors regular

I have the same problem. I'm going to the apple store in a couple of hours.

8. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

You tried to swap your phone because the sleep wake button is maybe a micrometer too short? I would love to have seen the genius's face when you asked him this. Talk about ridiculous.

9. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Apple has deliberately designed it this way.

There's no need to let it upset you, it's exactly like it's supposed to be.

There's nothing to be done except to get into acceptance.

10. iorderediphone5 macrumors member

Let me know how it goes

----------

No. My problem is that it is not stable like a button on a $400 phone should be. The button is very loose

11. b_scott macrumors 6502a

b_scott

how did it go?

12. sk2sep2304 macrumors regular

sk2sep2304

Without a case it clicks fine but the button stroke is shorter than the 4.

With a generic bumper, the short stroke is even more evident but still clicks with metal button bumpers.

Not really complaining here because I know it can be replaced if the button stops working. The home button on the other hand seems to have been needed up, but it does feel cheap now that it clicks so loud!

13. mabeyman macrumors member

Just got my iPhone 5 today finally and I noticed this after a few minutes too. My iPhone 4 lock button sticks out almost twice as much and depresses deeper when pushed. The iPhone 5 button seems a bit harder to press compared to the 4. Hopefully I'll get used to it

14. b_scott macrumors 6502a

b_scott

FYI, my button was messed up. The right side of it wouldn't click, but the left side did most of the time. I don't know what was wrong but they replaced it on the spot. However I think that is a different problem than the thread title, so I'll bow out.

15. gentlefury macrumors 68030

What are you trying to swap for? It's not like each phone is hand crafted and you got a short one. They are all identical, if you don't like it, you don't like the design...if the power button being a micron shorter than it used to be is enough to make you unable to use your device....well, time to switch to a different brand.

16. Unnamed1 macrumors member

Actually this is not true. The iPhone 5 I got on release day had a very pronounced power button. The replacement that came a few weeks later had one that was nearly level with the top of the phone.

The feel of the buttons on the first one (including volume buttons) clicked more and felt much better, whereas the replacement was a lot harder to press as they were more recessed.