Sleeve made specifically for 13" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ruahrc, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

When I picked up my 13"MBP at the apple store earlier this week I also picked up the incase 13" neoprene sleeve at the same time. I initially was going to order an STM sleeve online like I have for my 15" PBG4 but after looking at the sleeve in the store and liking the extra soft interior I decided to give it a go.

When I unpacked my MBP and put it in the sleeve, however, I find the fit a little loose to my liking. It's not loose in the sense that the laptop slides around inside the case, rather the case seems to be too thick or something because it seems like there is extra material that I can grab and pinch even when the laptop is inside. This doesn't happen with my STM sleeve and my PBG4, the fit is more snug and there doesn't seem to be any excess material anywhere.

I'm not sure if it's just extra padding from the incase sleeve, or if the fit could be improved. I was thinking though, if the sleeve was made for the 13" macbook (plastic) it's a little thicker than the unibody designs, and maybe this difference in thickness is what I'm feeling as the slight "looseness"?

So I am wondering if there are any sleeves made specifically for unibody macbooks, designed to accomodate the slightly thinner unibodys rather than universally fitting the unibody and plastic MB/MBPs? Or, are there any other good sleeves you would recommend instead of the incase? I'm just looking for a simple neoprene sleeve, nothing fancy or too thick (would like to keep a slim profile) but would also like it to have a little bit of shock protection (i.e. not a microfiber sleeve like the RadTech one).

Ruahrc

2. deanshu macrumors member

3. phrozen209 macrumors newbie

I just ordered the ColcaSac. I will let you know how it fits when I recieve it.

4. a13x macrumors member

Try the "BE.EZ 100416 LA Robe Sleeve for MacBook 13.3"
    I was just about to order it from Amazon ;)

5. Lipstick macrumors member

Same here, I've heard about the loose fit and also about the zipper scratching the MacBook.

6. a13x macrumors member

The Incase or the be.ez?

7. uv23 macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat. Was going to get the incase until I read the reviews. Have used booq products in the past and they were solid, so am thinking of going that route again.

8. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I am using a Speck See Thru Clear case from the original aluminum MacBook. I love Speck cases.

Attached Files:

9. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

I've carried out many sleeve reviews (see sig) and the best fit is the Applesac Colcasac. Infact, all the Applesac range is absolutely quality. The LArobe and Incase sleeves are loose (available from the Apple store).

Applesac is the way forward for you OP.

10. eb3604 macrumors member

i have the booq vyper. fit is perfect, and it has a protective liner so the zipper doesn't scratch your macbook. It's not a hard case. I think it might be neoprene? But it's sturdy, and rigid. It holds its shape without the macbook in it.

11. Lipstick macrumors member

The Incase

12. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

This.

13. uv23 macrumors 6502

http://www.applesac.com/blackhemp.html
    Oooh nice. And hopefully a snug fit. Going to order myself one. Thanks for the link!

14. duky macrumors 6502

Depending on how much protection you are looking for this may or may not be useful but I use a radtech sleeve which is amazingly snug. I've been using it for about 3-4 months and have developed no slack. The only problem is that it won't help at all if you drop the laptop or anything but it will keep it scratch-free in your bag or anywhere and provide a small amount of padding. I love it.

http://www.radtech.us/Products/SleevzNotebooks.aspx

15. Ruahrc thread starter macrumors 65816

In my OP I specifically stated that I didn't want the Radtech sleeve... as it does not provide any cushioning. I think it's a sweet looking sleeve but I'd like a little padding because I would put it in my backpack and it would be subject to bumping/pressure in there. I did order the Screensaverz from Radtech though. I've had my previous one for 5 years on my PBG4 and it's been great. And the microfiber cloth is still in good shape, even after all this time. I really liked my old one because it has "PowerBook" embossed on the front. A while after I ordered mine they stopped embossing the names on them because they were not allowed to use the Apple trademarks/fonts. So unfortunately my new one will just be plain. Oh well I always thought "PowerBook" sounded a lot better than "MacBook Pro" anyways.

I think I might go with one of the booq sleees. I'm not a big fan of the rubber stripes but who knows, never having seen it in person. I do like the fact that I can order a color other than black. Those Applesac sleeves look okay but a bit bulky. And I'd prefer the security of a zipper closure vs. that velcro flap.

Thanks for the suggestions

Ruahrc

16. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

I just ordered an applesac one. I'll let you guys know how it is when I get it.

17. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

You won't be disappointed with the Applesac, trust me on that one. Perfect sleeves and look really awesome.

Just a quick thing on sleeves with zippers - if your going through Airport scanning machine, you need to take the laptop out the sleeve and put it in the security trays. The Applesac has no metal/steel zippers, its just a flap - another reason why you should go with it.

Again, the decision is entirely yours - the Applesac won't dissapoint you.

Whats equally as good as the Applesac is the new Proporta sleeve - very very good.

Happy days ;)

18. shoppy macrumors 6502a

19. kinkster macrumors 6502a

IMO the looseness of the incase is worth the better design. i don't want to mess with flaps/zippers.

20. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

What do you put the Applesac into? I'm tempted to go with the Incase Sleeve Plus. Works as a mini bag for the coffee shop and I can put it into my big laptop bag when I travel longer distances

eV

21. Ruahrc thread starter macrumors 65816

Right now I have an STM neoprene sleeve with a metal zipper and have never been asked by TSA to take it out of the sleeve to go through the x-ray. The x-rays can easily penetrate the neoprene/fleece/cloth/whatever material of the sleeve allowing the scanner to see inside. No need to remove it from the sleeve just put the sleeve + notebook in a tray.

I don't understand this, you like the looseness? You don't want to mess with flaps or zippers but the incase sleeve does have a zipper? Just trying to get some clarification here.

Ruahrc

22. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

I still like my WaterField Designs sleeve. I now have four, a pair for Macs, one for a Dell X1 and one for a Fujitstu T2010. Wonderful sleeves. Nice fit, great material, and a smart design. I prefer the "Just Rings and No Flap" models.

23. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

I was stopped three times (once at Stansted London, once at Prestwick Glasgow and the last one in Dubai). Each time, they told me to put the laptop in the security tray and this was with the LArobe sleeve.

24. kinkster macrumors 6502a

25. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Yep. All international airport security agents make you do this. TSA probably sees a lot more laptops and has different policies but there is no way you can get by with keeping a sleeve on while it goes through security. It has to be naked

eV