Sleeve vs Case vs no case or sleeve

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by van2010rulz, Jun 25, 2010.

1. van2010rulz macrumors regular

Hi Everybody
    Soon i will be getting a Mac(i think) and was wondering about a case. Since i want a Macbook Pro with the Unibody Housing i want it to be safe. Now i can't decide if i want a case or a Sleeve. Now the Case might have heat issues even with the vents that are on the case. The sleeve won't have that issue but will it be more prone to scratching the Macbook it self? Or should i go no case and just sorta deal with the scratches. There is a Price difference between the Sleeve and the Case. About $20 Cdn more for the Case.

Thanks

Sleeve
    http://store.apple.com/ca/product/H0374ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA2Ng&mco=MTczMTA1MjQ

Case
    http://store.apple.com/ca/product/TX241ZM/B?fnode=MTY1NDA2Ng&mco=MTA4MjU0NjU&s=topSellers

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Scratches won't matter unless you are going to sell this later on. Either way, it's not going to scratch if you are a bit careful, i.e. no sliding it on a table, carry it in a sleeve, etc. I think cases make it look ugly but I use a sleeve for transporting it in my backpack.

3. van2010rulz thread starter macrumors regular

Ya ugly is not what im looking for. Maybe i will try the sleeve. More comments would be helpful.

4. iamuurme macrumors newbie

just the sleeve is fine ur mac would look cooler if it had tatoo 55

5. chaunas macrumors newbie

I've been using a sleeve on my 2006 MBP and it still looks perfect on the outside. Case looks and feels odd to me.

Suerte.

6. xmaxonx macrumors newbie

The sleeve is just about the same one I have. I really like the look of the Macbook Pro and didn't want to cover it up with a case. I'd say buy the sleeve and you'll be happy :)

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

8. van2010rulz thread starter macrumors regular

Ya i think im going to go with the sleeve. Cheaper and i can use those savings to apply to my Office Suite

9. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

i wouldn't use it without a case.
    i have a speck blue case, and i think it looks amazing.
    i mean, even if there wasn't protection, i would probably use the case just for the cosmetic appeal.
    the clear one you want might make it look ugly though, i don't know.
    even if you don't plan on selling your laptop in the future, it's still nice to have it in pristine condition.
    30 bucks to buy a case and prevent all scratches from happening to it isn't a bad price to pay.
    but, i definitely would pick a case over a sleeve, a sleeve is nice but it doesn't protect it at all times.
    i'd rather have it always protected when traveling or in use, no matter what kind of bag it's in even. rather than just having it protected when traveling.

the cases don't really add much bulk, especially to a 13" i think they're amazing.

10. van2010rulz thread starter macrumors regular

What's the heat like with the case on? Is the same without or a bit higher?

11. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

the case won't effect the heat whatsoever.
    the vents are in the hinge, and the case doesn't cover the hinge.
    the case never feels hot, and i heard somewhere that if it effects heat at all, it will make it cooler since it lifts it from the ground and gives space inbetween to vent out. i don't know how true that is, but. you know.
    also, the cases have vents on the bottom "just in case"
    but honestly, there is absolutely no issues with heat or anything like that.

if there were any causes of heat issues, i'm sure people would complain about these all the time.
    the only complaint i've ever heard about cases is that it adds "extra bulk"
    which it doesn't really. i've had a 17" and now have a 13", both with cases.
    I've also had speck and incase, and they're both great. I prefer speck, though.

The only thing I can think of suggesting is to get a colored one.
    I don't know if you want clear because you think the laptop itself is beautiful (which it is)
    but I personally think the clear ones look kind of lame. Your choice though, but the colors they offer are beautiful. and make the laptop even more pretty than it already is. and adds some personality.

12. van2010rulz thread starter macrumors regular

SPNarwhal are you reading my mind ! That was the exact reason why I was going to buy the clear case because I liked how the MacBook looked already. Do you know if the case is actually clear? Or is it just clear enough to see the Apple Logo? If not then I'm going with a coloured one.

13. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

it's clear, but it makes your macbook pro look shiny.
    since the case is shiny.

it's really up to you, i personally think it looks lame, but if you don't want color then go for it.
    even when you get the colored ones though, it doesn't take away from the machine's prettiness. it accents it.
    i think it makes it look even better, but that's my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGhR758ydiM&feature=related

and here's two colored examples

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y4OCtL6z9o&feature=channel

14. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

oh, and the colored ones aren't only colored "enough to see the apple logo through"
    that's the satin ones. the satin ones are pretty much a solid color and light still shines through. (which is awesome anyway)

but, the clear plastic ones are colored, but still see through. you can see the apple logo even when the laptop isn't on, and it makes the laptop look more like colored metal (since you can see the aluminum through it) opposed to just a plastic cover.

it's really nice. the clear ones and satin ones are both really really nice.
    i used to think i preferred the satin ones more, since I used to have a black one for my last 17". but now I have a blue one for my 13" and it's amazing as well.
    the satin feels nice and soft though.
    either way, you'll probably be in love with it.

even if you get a clear one, i'm sure you'll love it. i'm not saying it sucks, i just really like colors. and plus it differences your laptop from everyone else's stock one in the world.
    you'll be happy with any case you go with though, honestly. it's all a personal preference.

15. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Call me weird/whatever, but I still prefer my Macally BookShell Pro 2 :D

16. vant macrumors 65816

It would have an effect on heat.

How do I know? Common sense. Touch the bottom of your case when you perform intensive tasks. Does it get hot? If so, it's dissipating heat passively (duh). Adding a layer of air and plastic would insulate this area. Speck and Incase both realized this, and tried to remedy the situation by adding a design on the bottom of the shell. These only help marginally as naked is best for heat dissipation.

I think MBPs look great naturally. I think case is going too far in terms of protection. I don't think any other laptops even offer accessary cases.

17. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

if there is some negative heat effect, it would be minimal and nothing to worry about.
    the plastic case doesn't seal it air tight, firstly. and the vents are there.
    there has been no over-heating issues reported due to a case.

how can it be too far to protect your machine?
    it's not like it's a big hassle to you. you just install it and forget about it.

as for no cases for other laptops, i'm assuming that's because
    1.) people who buy an apple computer will love and appreciate their laptop enough to want to protect it, and not just buy it just to have a laptop.
    (also, the fact that they're so expensive is a major push. if i spend 2,000 on a laptop, then paying 50 dollars to keep it in like new condition is not a lot to pay. if i pay 400 for a laptop, 50 dollars is like 12.5% of the price of the laptop.)

2.) they keep their resale value. you try to sell some random HP laptop and it's just one model in a million. CP0925S4. People won't pay that much for a used one, not like they will an Apple laptop.

3.) there's a million of other models of laptops. none stay consistent really.
    but the macbook/ pros keep the same design even through all the upgrades.

there's no negatives about the cases to me.
    like i said before, even if it didn't protect from scratches, i would probably use one just for the cosmetic appeal alone. but the preventing of scratches is amazing. i couldn't picture myself without a case. and i actually LIKE the extra "bulk."
    people always say it adds "a little bit of bulk, but not too much."
    but of course it's going to add a little bit of bulk. adding a layer of plastic around the macbook can't just absorb into the body of the macbook.
    but before i had a case, i literally had my macbook sitting on a towel all the time. way too scared to scratch it. and with a case, i feel completely safe putting it anywhere, or even tossing it on my bed or something.

cases aren't silly. if you make a 2,000 dollar investment on a machine, why wouldn't you want to protect it?

18. van2010rulz thread starter macrumors regular

Ya I think spending an extra $50 for the case would probably be worth it. As long as it won't have heat issues I think it will be ok. Thanks for the videos too.

19. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

I'm not a big fan of the bulk so I decided to put a moshi palmguard and wrapsol on it. Couldn't be happier since I use it in conjunction with my sleeve. Also I hear the case traps dirt particles in between the case and the MBP causing some scratches to occur.

20. babyt macrumors regular

babyt

hey i was wondering how easy or hard was it to instal the wrapsol?
    im totally interested in getting either that or the zagg one...

21. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

There are tons of different Wrapsols, I haven't had much look.

I use a hardshell and occasionally a sleeve depending on what bag I decided to use.

22. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

Well Wrapsol is Wrapsol to the post above me. There are different skins but Wrapsol is a specific kind.

It's really easy. The soap spray they give me allows the film to move around after you put it on the MBP. This allows the film to be adjusted perfectly without stretching the skin and having to get another film. Definitely worth the money in my opinion, since it's pretty cheap on Amazon.

23. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Case or sleeve no matter what :] Protect your baby! ;P