Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aditya_S

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Why was slide to unlock removed when it easily could have stayed? They could have moved the widgets to the right instead of swiping to the left, and kept the swipe up to get to the camera.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Because of Touch ID. The version on the 6s and 6s Plus is so fast at recognizing a fingerprint that you'd press the home button and blow past the lock screen, therefore missing any notifications that were there. This alleviates that issue.

Reactions: Looney01

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
This is being discussed here

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/whats-so-great-about-the-slide-to-activate-camera-rant.1978303/

imo
Well maybe it's just me being clumsy but the way it was before, when I was on the lock screen I'd frequently try to bring up control center and end up bringing up the camera because there were two slide from the bottom gestures. The new model makes each compass direction do something different on the lock screen. Seems like an improvement - both logical and practical - to me. YMMV

Aditya_S

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Because of Touch ID. The version on the 6s and 6s Plus is so fast at recognizing a fingerprint that you'd press the home button and blow past the lock screen, therefore missing any notifications that were there. This alleviates that issue.
I thought that they solved that problem with the raise to wake feature? I didn't really have an issue anyways with Touch ID being too fast on the 6s cause I either used the wrong finger or the power button.

Creek0512

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2012
It's more that now you unlock your iPhone with Touch ID, so there's no point in slide to unlock, it's completely unnecessary, so Apple has re-purposed that gesture for something else.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I didn't really have an issue anyways with Touch ID being too fast on the 6s cause I either used the wrong finger or the power button.

Many did and it was often complained about. Now each direction does something different (notifications, camera, control center and widgets), raise to wake lets you look at the screen on the latest handsets (home button for others) and home button begins the unlocking process by whatever mechanism you've elected

Aditya_S

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Many did and it was often complained about. Now each direction does something different (notifications, camera, control center and widgets), raise to wake lets you look at the screen on the latest handsets (home button for others) and home button begins the unlocking process by whatever mechanism you've elected
Even though I don't have a device without Touch ID, those that do have to press the home button twice and then type in their password.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Even though I don't have a device without Touch ID, those that do have to press the home button twice and then type in their password.

If you don't have touchid (which means you also have a device that raise to wake isn't on for sure) and you simply want to wake the screen to look at notifications then how else would you suggest? You have to press a button either way (power or home) and from there you'd previously have to take your finger off of home to slide. Now you just press home again. I don't see that this interaction presents a significant difference in complexity from before.
[doublepost=1466181189][/doublepost]Before for non-touch id users: -

1) press home or power for notifications
2) slide to unlock
3) enter pin if necessary

Now: -

1) Press home or power for notifications
2) Press home to unlock

What's the problem here? It changes the step you have to take your finger off home and enter your pin if you have one but otherwise it seems like it would be even faster than before

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I think it's because it's not used much anymore by devices that have Touch ID (which is the majority of devices supported by iOS 10). Apple made the decision to let go of an iconic feature to add other functionality with the gesture.

Creek0512

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2012
Also, the only iPhone that applies to is the iPhone 5, which will be 4 years old when iOS 10 is released.

Reactions: Rekan_

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
The removal of Slide to Unlock on the iPhone 5 is stupid and annoying.

I hope they add it back for this device, as well as for other non-Touch ID devices.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
The removal of Slide to Unlock on the iPhone 5 is stupid

Why? What is is that you see as stupid?

I hope they add it back for this device, as well as for other non-Touch ID devices.
[/QUOTE]

Why would they do that? The new method is at least as, if note more, efficient than the previous one. No matter whether there's touchID, no touchID, raise to wake or no raise to wake.

Reactions: TheAppleFairy

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
The removal of Slide to Unlock on the iPhone 5 is stupid and annoying.

It's not stupid...It's a little strange because we have been conditioned to unlock our phones this way. I don't have Touch ID on my iPad Mini and I don't see the big deal. click the home button twice then enter my pin.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
There seems to be confusion on how this works and I'm getting PM's from another user determined to argue that this interaction is somehow worse, even though it is provably not. Different, yes. Worse, no. Let's cover each scenario, touch-id, no touch-id and raise to wake (which implies Touch ID)

Non-touch id users: -

iOS9: -
1) press home or power for lock screen
2) slide to unlock

iOS10: -
1) Press home or power for lock screen
2) Press home to unlock

3 steps in each case. No extra interaction, just a button touch replaces a swipe. Arguably actually better but definitely not worse.

Touch-id users who either don't have or chose not to use raise to wake to wake the screen: -

iOS9: -
1) press home (quickly, lest it unlock) or power for lock screen
2) Place finger on Touch ID to unlock (no need to press button)

1) Press home (quickly, lest it unlock) or power for lock screen
2) Place finger on Touch ID to unlock (no need to press button)

Two steps before. Two steps after. No button presses are required. Exactly the same workflow.

Raise to wake: -

iOS9: Does not exist on ios9

1) Raise to wake
2) Place finger on Touch ID and push button

This method allows you to safely view the lock screen without the Touch ID kicking in too soon. It requires precisely the same number of button presses as the 2nd scenario but avoids accidental unlock.

This is how it works and there is nothing to argue about. No-one is hurt by this but the terminally unadaptable.

Correction/addendum: If you're just unlocking the above is how it works. If you're on the lock screen for more than a few seconds in that scenario 2 (Touch-id users who either don't have or chose not to use raise to wake to wake the screen) you do indeed have to press home too. Still the same number of steps.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.