Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andrew67100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2022
Hey guys,

New user, longtime lurker. I just bought this 14 Pro Max and noticed the tiniest scratch on the back glass out of the box. The phone is otherwise perfect with a great screen. Am I being petty for letting this bug me a little? I’m cursed with really incredible eyesight, and only the macro camera on my wife’s 14 Pro was able to pick this up.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 0F6992A4-3C86-470C-8B40-88FDBC87A86D.jpeg
    0F6992A4-3C86-470C-8B40-88FDBC87A86D.jpeg
    506.8 KB · Views: 2,553
Reactions: Vazor

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
True, especially since like to rock my phones ceaseless.
If you’re using the phone caseless then don’t even worry about it. It’s going to get scratches.

I don’t remember hearing about so many scratching issues with previous iPhones so it makes me wonder if they made the glass a little bit softer.

Reactions: Andeddu

sdp77

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2019
I’ve been using a simple leather pouch (Torro, Sena) for several years now and no scratches whatsoever . I like to use my phone “naked” as well.

Reactions: Andeddu

Andrew67100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2022
It depends on your OCD level I guess. But if you're using it without a case it seems a bit churlish to send it back when it's going to look worse than that in a month.
Good point. Just about every iPhone I’ve ever owned from the iPhone 4S until has had some super minor flaw if I look hard enough. This phone is actually a really pristine unit, so it would be silly to send it back.

Reactions: MajorFubar

usman2308

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2016
My 14 pro had a scratch(above the dynamic island)on the display out of the box. It was tiny but the lights would catch it and create a glare. I ended up returning it.

I can live with scratches that are caused because of me but if it’s scratched out of the box then I return it.

For reference I use my 11 pro max caseless and not a single scratch on the back.

It’s up to you but if it was me I would return it.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Good point. Just about every iPhone I’ve ever owned from the iPhone 4S until has had some super minor flaw if I look hard enough. This phone is actually a really pristine unit, so it would be silly to send it back.
Indeed. Although Apple is considered by some as a prestige brand with prestige prices to match, what it doesn't sell is immaculately-crafted low-volume hand-built tech*. Everything's still churned out by the million on an assembly line, just like a 19.99 plastic bluetooth speaker. So...compromises.

*MacPro excepted.

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Indeed. Although Apple is considered by some as a prestige brand with prestige prices to match, what it doesn't sell is immaculately-crafted low-volume hand-built tech*. Everything's still churned out by the million on an assembly line, just like a 19.99 plastic bluetooth speaker. So...compromises.

*MacPro excepted.
Exactly. It’s a mass produced item which none are perfect. Just because the actual user doesn’t see a flaw doesn’t mean someone else won’t. Bottom line is just make sure you’re happy. Playing the return game can lead you down a path where the best of the bunch was the original one you returned. Been there done that and I just don’t have that kind of time anymore to deal with it.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
I’ve never really looked over any of my new iPhones for scratches or anything even though I put a lot of effort into keeping my things like new. That’s such a tiny mark that I don’t think it would bother me. My iPhone will see worse. I’m also not a fan of returning things unless they’re broken so I’m a bit biased.

Drowssap

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2019
I never use cases or screen BS, also I never rest the phone on its back, face first, these panels are different and resistant to scratches more then previous from 13 down. and if the screen were to get really funky I can change it out unlimited times for less money than what a quality case would cost.

Reactions: Andrew67100

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
If you’re using the phone caseless then don’t even worry about it. It’s going to get scratches.

I don’t remember hearing about so many scratching issues with previous iPhones so it makes me wonder if they made the glass a little bit softer.
There's literally a thread every year about how the new iPhones get more scratches and someone wondering the same as you.

Reactions: Jackbequickly

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010

just put screensaver and back saver on and use that way.

Reactions: russell_314

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
I also have a tiny nick that shines out of the ordinary, now I’m unsure if I caused it. Had I been in the states I would’ve gotten it replaced :)

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
I don’t think I’ve ever scratched the back on any of my old frosted iPhones. Front was a different story

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.