Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flash1420

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2022
I also have one with my iPhone 14 Pro Max Silver. Another member said it is hard to quality check millions of iPhones and I completely agree, however, some quality control is needed considering the premium prices of the iPhone 14 Pro. I am not trying to be harsh on Apple, but every single device I bought in the last year has some cosmetic defect out of the box. I am not sure if Apple is decreased their quality control, but hopefully they improve it.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I also have one with my iPhone 14 Pro Max Silver. Another member said it is hard to quality check millions of iPhones and I completely agree, however, some quality control is needed considering the premium prices of the iPhone 14 Pro. I am not trying to be harsh on Apple, but every single device I bought in the last year has some cosmetic defect out of the box. I am not sure if Apple is decreased their quality control, but hopefully they improve it.
If you have a scratch on the silver band just polish it out. If it’s a dent or ding then I completely agree with a return. But… you‘ve stated you tried 2 iPhone 14 Pro Max and both had “defects” and then every device you’ve bought this year has had a defect. Maybe your expectations are unrealistic?

That said, the moment you use it (naked or a case) the stainless silver band will get scratches. Not sure it makes sense to chase perfection on a phone. I guess we’d need to see the defect you are talking about.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
What is the best way to inspect your iPhone besides looking for scratches/nicks through the naked eye? I'm curious if anyone has an actual method to this.
I‘m not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but just look at your phone quick with with the naked eye. If you need a magnifying glass, black light, and/or telescope to see minor imperfections then I don’t know what to tell you 😊

Magnification with another phone or magnifying glass. I have OCD, but if I can’t see it with the naked eye, or under certain lighting, I don’t worry too much about it.
I‘m not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but just look at your phone quick with with the naked eye. If you need a magnifying glass, black light, and/or telescope to see minor imperfections then I don’t know what to tell you 😊
@iDarth_Betar Ohhh! that's a great idea. Cost nothing. I'm going to try the magnifying glass to inspect it. It's crazy how many details you can see. Thanks, again!

@drew0020 It was a serious question. Try using a Magnifying glass using another iPhone lol you can't see the details with the naked eye.

Flash1420

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2022
If you have a scratch on the silver band just polish it out. If it’s a dent or ding then I completely agree with a return. But… you‘ve stated you tried 2 iPhone 14 Pro Max and both had “defects” and then every device you’ve bought this year has had a defect. Maybe your expectations are unrealistic?

That said, the moment you use it (naked or a case) the stainless silver band will get scratches. Not sure it makes sense to chase perfection on a phone. I guess we’d need to see the defect you are talking about.
Hey I completely agree with your point. I will exchange it one more time and if it turns out to have defect, I may have to look at another phone or brand. You may be right that my expectations are unrealistic, however, there is nothing wrong with desiring perfection. But I will keep your point in mind the next time I unbox an Apple product.

• Haha
Reactions: drew0020

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
Hey I completely agree with your point. I will exchange it one more time and if it turns out to have defect, I may have to look at another phone or brand. You may be right that my expectations are unrealistic, however, there is nothing wrong with desiring perfection. But I will keep your point in mind the next time I unbox an Apple product.
Samsung is calling your name 🤣

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
What does your gut tell you to do? Can you unsee it and just ignore it?

Personally, I'd want to be the first one to be a scratch on it! Not Apple, or anyone else for that matter. But that's just my opinion.

Andrew67100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2022
I also feel like the macro shot is exaggerating it. Here’s what the scratch looks like when I hold it up to my face. The light also has to catch it in a certain way to show it. I know I’m probably being ridiculous, but at least it’s still interesting to point out.

Attachments

• 88A3A70A-6350-4A31-A280-DD18FB8A5796.jpeg
    88A3A70A-6350-4A31-A280-DD18FB8A5796.jpeg
    574.6 KB · Views: 228
  • Haha
Reactions: drew0020

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I also feel like the macro shot is exaggerating it. Here’s what the scratch looks like when I hold it up to my face. The light also has to catch it in a certain way to show it. I know I’m probably being ridiculous, but at least it’s still interesting to point out.
There is no issue really as it’s a hairline scratch that’s almost imperceptible to the naked eye. I use a case and screen protector and all my phones are immaculate and yet I wouldn’t even bother with the scratch you’ve got on your 14 Pro.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
If you return your current phone the new one could be even worse + have a bad screen to boot. Then you'll be in the vicious return cycle which is a waste of time and money. As badly as I want to suggest to return / exchange it (because that would be my gut reaction a couple of years ago) I would just keep it. That scratch is so miniscule and you have a perfect screen which is most important. You could end up with a flawless casing and piss yellow / pink hue / green tinted screen which would be horrible.

My 13 Pro had a blemish on the back underneath the glass and it bothered me for a few weeks, then I got over it, because it had a perfect screen. Luckily my 14 Pro is flawless and has a perfect screen on the 1st try.

It's your money, do what makes you happy. You can always buy a 2nd one and return whichever one is worse?

Andrew67100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2022
If you return your current phone the new one could be even worse + have a bad screen to boot. Then you'll be in the vicious return cycle which is a waste of time and money. As badly as I want to suggest to return / exchange it (because that would be my gut reaction a couple of years ago) I would just keep it. That scratch is so miniscule and you have a perfect screen which is most important. You could end up with a flawless casing and piss yellow / pink hue / green tinted screen which would be horrible.

My 13 Pro had a blemish on the back underneath the glass and it bothered me for a few weeks, then I got over it, because it had a perfect screen. Luckily my 14 Pro is flawless and has a perfect screen on the 1st try.

It's your money, do what makes you happy. You can always buy a 2nd one and return whichever one is worse?
Yeah, I’m going to keep it since it really does have a perfect screen. Colors look great on it and very even. And man the brightness outdoors is no joke!

Reactions: Harthag

Andrew67100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2022
It’s just standard for the industry whether we like it or not. I just got a new Steam Deck, and returned it because it has a scratch UNDER the display bezel. The new one I got has a very small imperfection in the glass on the bottom of the bezel, and is missing a tiny bit of black paint on the fan vent grill. Very small, almost impossible to see stuff. Nearly every device I own has some small cosmetic variations (I hate to even call them defects because they’re almost imperceptible), and is normal for mass manufactured things.

I’m being picky because Apple has the best fit and finish of any brand, and this iPhone with this tiny little mark still has a better fit and finish than 99% of electronics I buy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.