Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c073186

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2007
For posters who are praising the Sena Ultraslim case, please verify if you are using the first generation iPhone or the 3G. I have read excellent reviews for those using it with the original iPhone but 3G users have said the case is way too tight. Is this true or not?

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
For posters who are praising the Sena Ultraslim case, please verify if you are using the first generation iPhone or the 3G. I have read excellent reviews for those using it with the original iPhone but 3G users have said the case is way too tight. Is this true or not?

I would like to know as well since I ordered this for my 3g. I will hopfully get it tomorrow.

albeli

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2008
Here
Ordered Sena UltraSlim "3G" before the release of the iPhone 3g. Very nice quality. Once I got the actual phone, though, the case was ridiculously tight, very dificult to insert and remove. I returned the case and was so unhappy with my experience I would not even consider getting another Sena product for any of my devices. It was pointed out to me in another thread that while Sena lists separate items for the original and 3G iPhones, on the Apple store site the same case is shown as being compatible with both phones. The invoice for my order stated 3G, but the box's label did not. I'm pretty sure Sena is trying to pass off it's original product as fitting the 3G.

Ordered the Incipio Orion on Monday and got it today. It seems to be pleather, not leather, but the colors are truer, the phone is snug but easy to insert and release, and I'm very happy with it.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
Ordered Sena UltraSlim "3G" before the release of the iPhone 3g. Very nice quality. Once I got the actual phone, though, the case was ridiculously tight, very dificult to insert and remove. I returned the case and was so unhappy with my experience I would not even consider getting another Sena product for any of my devices. It was pointed out to me in another thread that while Sena lists separate items for the original and 3G iPhones, on the Apple store site the same case is shown as being compatible with both phones. The invoice for my order stated 3G, but the box's label did not. I'm pretty sure Sena is trying to pass off it's original product as fitting the 3G.

Ordered the Incipio Orion on Monday and got it today. It seems to be pleather, not leather, but the colors are truer, the phone is snug but easy to insert and release, and I'm very happy with it.

Thanks for letting me know. I will see when i get it and if i am not happy with it i will definitely return and get the orion case. I was deciding between the two but eventually i went with the Sena.

Benjic

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2007
Madison, WI
Just went to Best Buy and picked up a Griffin Elan Form, I'm pretty happy with it other than the face that after 3 hours of use, I can tell that its gonna fall apart, the leather is just a sticker type deal, and its peeling away. I'm really disappointed about that, other than that, this is the best iphone case I've had in a long time, and I own the Griffin Elan Sleeve now.

Taylor C

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Currently looking at this case from Incipio. I was a big fan of the Leather Fitted Sleeve from Incase for my first generation phone, but the updated case is not quite as good. Anyone have any positive/negative experiences with Incipio products?

julip

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
Yes, I had seen that video prior to ordering the case. The amount of force I had to use to insert and remove the phone was WAY more than is shown in the video.

That's a shame - it really is a nice looking pouch; though, the Incipio Orion that you ended up getting is a great looking one too. I hadn't seen that one before, so thanks for posting the link.

Hopefully your Sena was just a bum one and others that have ordered will have better luck.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
That's a shame - it really is a nice looking pouch; though, the Incipio Orion that you ended up getting is a great looking one too. I hadn't seen that one before, so thanks for posting the link.

Hopefully your Sena was just a bum one and others that have ordered will have better luck.

i will post a review of mine tomorrow if i hopefully get it. Keep in mind that since its real leather it stretches over time. i have read that it is really tight for the first couple of days.

albeli

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2008
Here
i will post a review of mine tomorrow if i hopefully get it. Keep in mind that since its real leather it stretches over time. i have read that it is really tight for the first couple of days.

Yeah, that's what CS told me. And they're probably right. But I have really small hands and it was just too tight for me. I didn't feel comfortable using it long enough to see how much it stretched. Maybe mine was tighter than most.

c073186

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2007
I ended up ordering the Sena UltraSlim even though I know that they are passing off one case as being for the iPhone and 3G iPhone. The proof is that if you look at the picture of the 3G case, it is obviously a regular iPhone because you can see the aluminum back. Pretty lousy business in my opinion but the case looks really great so I am hoping I can somehow stretch it a bit before getting my iPhone to make it fit nicer.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
I ended up ordering the Sena UltraSlim even though I know that they are passing off one case as being for the iPhone and 3G iPhone. The proof is that if you look at the picture of the 3G case, it is obviously a regular iPhone because you can see the aluminum back. Pretty lousy business in my opinion but the case looks really great so I am hoping I can somehow stretch it a bit before getting my iPhone to make it fit nicer.

i was with some friends, and i decided to go to the mall because i saw they had sena cases. i asked an employee if i could see how the ultra slim fits my phone. it is definitely tight, and he needed to help me take it out of the case haha. but i think after a couple of days it should be fine.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I've heard from people that got the Ultraslim that it's supposed to be like that. After a few days, it naturally loosens up to exactly fit the phone.

c073186

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2007
But my biggest fear is this: in that few days that it takes to wear the Sena case in and loosen it up, is it going to result in lots of small scratches to the back? I still have not made it to the Apple Store to see the 3G iPhone in person but I can imagine how easily a glossy black plastic surface could scratch / show marks.

jeniferkey

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
I bought this for my first iPhone (http://www.pcmicrostore.com/PartDetail.aspx?q=p:10505153)

I didn't think it would fit the 3G, but it does nicely in my opinion. It is actually too loose, and I put the cleaning cloth folded up behind the phone, to keep it tight, so it doesn't slide out by accident (happened with the first phone).

I can control the volume or mute with the case closed, and open I have easy access with it in my car mount to plug into the charger and the audio jack. It's got a clip on the back that's snug and hasn't broken off like my last case.

The only thing I don't like is that the top part sometimes bends away from the earpiece and messes with the screen on/off function of the phone part. I'm considering cutting that part off, but it hasn't bothered me enough to do it.

I ride my horses and listen to music on it, and it's been pretty secure from dust. I'm sure there are more secure covers, but for the price, I'm pleased with this one. I like this phone more than the first one without the case, but I like that I can answer the phone without taking it out of something (first case was like that, and it didn't last long).

case02.jpg

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
But my biggest fear is this: in that few days that it takes to wear the Sena case in and loosen it up, is it going to result in lots of small scratches to the back? I still have not made it to the Apple Store to see the 3G iPhone in person but I can imagine how easily a glossy black plastic surface could scratch / show marks.

It's all soft velvet inside. All it will really do is get off some smudges when you take it out and put it in the case.

zengod

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2008
Piel Frama Cases - Craftsmanship or what !

I have been buying Piel Frama cases for about five years for ipaq, pocket PC and now apple devices and they are fantastic. To date I have ordered an iPod video case, then iPod 80Gb, then a 160Gb Classic and then an iPod touch and they have nver let me down. The quality is fantastic and the service from the factory in Italy is excellent, friendly and most helpful.

I was able to order an Iphone 3Gb case about 3 weeks ago and it arrived on the 11th July at the same time as the iPhone.

Multiple colour leather as well and I think that O2 are now supplying these from the catalogue you get instore.

http://www.pielframa.com/ipod_zone.htm

GNice

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Check out Vaja's cases, they're amazing.

http://www.vajacases.com

The only reason I wouldn't get one now is because it takes a while for them to make the case for you. They're all made hand-made when you order them, with thousands of different personalization options. I'll probably pick up a Sena ultraslim pouch for my iPhone 3G for now and get a Vaja ivolution SP later on.

Wow...super, super cool. Already have 2 cases for my 3G, but these are so cool and unique I may have to pull the trigger anyway. Thx for sharing!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.