Slingplayer Over 3G!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by megapopular, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Cander macrumors 6502

VoIP and now Sling is allowed? Either AT&T is really confident in their bandwidth now or they really are about to lose exclusivity so they are trying to make customers happy.

I wonder if Sling will be the killer app that helps sell the 3G iPads.

2. semlohde macrumors member

We'll just have to wait and see IF and WHEN the approval happens. I jailbroke and have been using it awhile - works fine. As for bringing the system down - I know I only watched it maybe 30 minutes max at any sitting, it pumps data to that 5gb limit pretty fast - if ATT really enforces their (unlimited) 5gb plan. I just may update iTunes and all if they get it working though.

3. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

I'd imagine they'd knock the quality way back when streaming over 3G but that's fine because, as mentioned, it doesn't take long to hit 5gb when using Slingplayer as it is now. Frankly, I'll believe this when I see it but it sure would be nice...I'd have no reason at all to jailbreak anymore!

4. gazzamac macrumors member

I'm in the UK jailbroken on the 3gs (O2) running slingplayer for a while now and to be honest the 3g full signal picture quality isnt that great when compared to wifi.

Dont get me wrong, it's watchable but not of a high quality IMHO.

5. Resist macrumors 68030

About freaking time AT&T, but a little to late. As soon as Verizon gets the iPhone I'm switching! The only thing that could make me stay with AT&T is if they lower the cost of my plan. Throwing in free tethering might help also.

6. MTI macrumors 65816

hmm, didn't AT&T say tethering was expected late . . . 2009? :D

7. pintnight macrumors 6502

Neither, the FCC is what forced AT&T to allow VoIP and Sling to be approved.

Already has been approved.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I wonder when the updated app will be out.
    And if the quality will be terrible over 3G/Edge like the YouTube app.

9. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

What kind of quality issue do you have with YouTube? It looks fine over 3G for me. However I have seen a super clear video on my friends HTC Touch 2, but I do not know if that was because of newer hardware, screen etc.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

We're talking about the iPhone here, not sure about other devices.
    Take a look of the same video over 3G on the iPhone and then watch it again when connected to wifi.
    You will notice the difference.

11. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

No Duh. I was just asking the question to find out what the experience was and what it was being compared to, which was the only reason I mentioned the touch. My intention was not to critize your experience. Sorry for asking.

Edit: I ran your the test you suggested. Yes there is a noticable difference. The wifi picture on the exact same video was not only clearer, it was larger. Why do you think that is?
    Why stop at 3g vs Wifi, why not comapre to a coaxial signal or satellite, thats wireless too, after all they are all the same. ;) Not sure why you would expect wifi quality on a 3G signal.

12. Resist macrumors 68030

This was announced on Feb 4th and here it is Feb 10th.....still no update.

Tic Toc Apple, 6 days and still no approval?

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Are you serious?
    I don't expect anything, was just stating how the YouTube app works on the iPhone. It automaticly degrades the picture quality to save on bandwidth and download time. Since your clueless about the way it works don't act like you know. It has nothing to do with coax wire or whatever your trying to compare it to:rolleyes:

14. Uabcar macrumors 6502

I posted this in the news section earlier.

Per the article below, it appears that Sling just submitted the updated app to Apple last night. As such, it will likely be several more days- and that assumes Apple does not kick it back for revisions.

http://bostonherald.com/jobfind/news/technology/view.bg?articleid=1231944

15. Resist macrumors 68030

That article doesn't specifically say the update was just submitted last night. What is said was "Sling submitted a 3G-capable version of the application to Apple "overnight". The submission date was not stated. But if however it was just submitted to Apple for approval, that sucks. Especially since there was nothing that needed to be changed from Slings first submission.

16. tjp888 macrumors regular

tjp888

My prediction is Apple is going to sit on the approval and never release it. Just like what they are doing to the Google Voice apps.

I think Apple will see this increased access to TV as a possible threat to their iTunes revenue.

But, that's my opinion.

17. Resist macrumors 68030

The only problem with that logic is that the Sling app doesn't record TV. And trying to use your DVR to record a show through the Sling app on the iPhone's small screen isn't the easiest thing to do. Plus the quality is not a good as buying or renting video content from iTunes.

18. Resist macrumors 68030

Finallly the app has been upgraded with 3G! It works great. I love not being tied down to only WiFi access.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Finally. One of my main reasons for jb has been fullfilled by Apple.

20. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

Yep, I just upgraded to 3.1.3 and I'm finally rid of that half-assed "tethered jailbreak" Just for the fun of it, I went outside, turned the phone off and back on and when it was up and running I watched a few minutes of TV, no muss, no fuss. FYI, both Slingboxes I connected with are "classics"...no problem with either. :)

21. Pared macrumors 65816

Wow, that was terrible.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Good prediction :D

23. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

idc if your were smart you would jb and would have this for a year

24. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

7.2 Mb/s upgrade plus new backhaul means whatever ever new traffic can be taken care off. I am sure AT&T will be re-upgrading the backhaul before or during pre-4G rollout.