Slinkies

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by .JahJahwarrior., Dec 3, 2007.

1. .JahJahwarrior. macrumors 6502

So...I bought a slinky. And, I need a good place to use it.

The problem is, all the staircases on campus here at the University of Central Florida have steps too....deep?...the slinky can't make it.

Does anyone here have experience with slinkies? Am I doing it wrong? It seems you need a step that is not much deeper than two slinky widths, and I can't find one.

As soon as I find one, I want to take this girl that i like that doesn't like me but is friends with me to it to race slinkies. I know it sounds retarded, but it is finals week and I want to do something to unwind with her before we leave to our respective cities for a month.

So if you can give me ideas for how to do that, that'd be great. Or, if you know of other things to do with a slinky that will make this girl fall in love with me, that's cool too. :)

I thought that as a last resort we could stack books up in the library but I don't think library staff would appreciate it much. :(

2. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Sounds like fun to me!

What about an escalator? Perpetual slinkies? :D

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Well, if you can find an escalator nearby, you've got hours of fun ahead of you.

4. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

:eek::D

5. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

If you want her to fall in love with you, you have to sing the slinky song to her!

6. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Strangely enough, as I clicked on this thread, I'm playing with a slinky. I have two at my desk here at work; one a piece of schwag from some event and the other a Christmas gift from a coworker.

Unfortunately, I have no advice for you, as I haven't found any steps around me that work. Best of luck, though! :)

7. .JahJahwarrior. thread starter macrumors 6502

Escalators are too deep. You have to start near the edge to get the slinky to fall over it, but then it's too far from the edge after the first "slink" to reach the edge, so it stops there. :(

And i don't think she would love me if I sang the slinky song. :( I think she was impressed that I got a small boat of people to sing happy birthday to our boat captain, though. Pretty much she has told me that she likes me as a friend but that I don't have whatever it is that makes her like people as a boyfriend. So I'm trying to find what that is. She is very beautiful and has amazingly good character and pretty much I'm quite amazed by her...

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Here is how to do it.

I can think of other ways to unwind her:cool:

Depends how good you are with a slinky

This will make you look like you know what you are doing.

9. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Yes, it does. ;)

Anyway, good luck with your slinkying escapades, though I have no advice to give that won't get you beaten up.

10. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

In my newest edition of Wired there is the original slinky story and the company has come out with a "tribute" to the original...it looks kicka$$

and I just asked my friend who goes to UCF and she said;

"um... like in the buildings like the old ones, math building... some goin "to the first floor" but some of our buldings "first floor" is underground"

11. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

As a girl that would be just as interested in slinky racing as you seem to be, I think its a cute idea ;)

The escalator idea is a good one, been there done that. Mind you I wasn't in college :)

12. .JahJahwarrior. thread starter macrumors 6502

A lot of the first floors are underground, it's kind of odd. But that's a good thought, I'll go try the math building.

It'll be more cute than cool...she's the kind of girl that would find it funny. See, I told her that I'd bought this game, this intense problem solving challenge type of game, and that I wanted her to play it with me. She still have no idea it's just a pair of slinkies :)

13. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

LOL

(sorry I had too, hopefully you didn't word it this way...because I usually do and girls ALWAYS catch it..even if you didn't mean it :p)

14. mpw Guest

15. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Oh god, I want to buy 50 slinkies and try this now, call it art and you can do what you want :D

16. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

I bet you could get a grant!

17. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

18. mpw Guest

I'm a hug fan of Slinkies. That clip was on the big screen at a Slinky festival I went to last summer and I had to get the box set of the Greenwing series off eBay. If you're a fan the other two DVDs in the box set are unwatched if you want them.

19. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Good luck to you. I really hope you'll post a follow-up here, and let us know how it all went. :D

20. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

21. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Aww:p:)

Good luck!:)

And remember, she may not *like* you that way right now, but after a while, she'll realize that maybe the funny guy with the slinkies was for her after all. ;):)

22. .JahJahwarrior. thread starter macrumors 6502

23. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Thanks for the kind offer but I already have all of them.

24. .JahJahwarrior. thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, she is very good with slinkies. She actually got them to go down several stairs, I was quite impressed.

And we had a long talk walking around campus. And she says she feels like this is supposed to be a friendship, and nothing more, ever. Needless to say, today I feel a little distraught. I am very glad I don't have finals because I'm a little bit of an emotional wreck right now. I can't think straight, I can't make up my mind to do anything. I can't even cry. I just want today to be over with. I really care about this girl...

But thank you Macrumors for your help with the slinkies!

25. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

Aw don't worry man (you're a man b/c you can't cry) just keep acting normal and don't let it get to you...if she didn't actually say "nothing more, ever." then don't worry about it, she just might not be looking for anything like that right now.

The important thing to do is just remain her friend and don't act weird or anything b/c she will then think you were only her friend to start with for one thing ;)