Slot load? Why?

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
1,335
74
New York (not NYC)
What are the benefits of a slotload CD-ROM drive? Anything can get in the slot like dust, small objects and stuff. Why doesnt Apple use trayload drives? I could be totally wrong about the slotload drives but as of now I dont see any advantages. Can someone please tell me some?
 

obeythelaw

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2005
11
0
i actually prefer the slotloading drives. they look better, in my opinion. and, for me, they are less prone to breaking.
 

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
2,745
0
fig tree
speaking of slot-loading drives, anyone know where to get slot-loading desktop drives? i cant seem to find any...
 

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
32,194
6
Adelaide, Australia
Don't they take up less space? Also, some Apples do have tray-loading drives. :)

There's nothing uglier than a chunky tray loading optical drive on a laptop IMO. :(
 

reberto

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2005
1,224
0
There are only 2 major pros that I can think of right now

1. More compact
2.In a iMac, the drive is easier to replace sence you can just use any drive from a G4 iBook or Powerbook G4. Am I correct here?

Bu if you get a CD or DVD stuck inside, its no fun getting it out.
 

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2005
552
0
Connecticut
PowerMac G5's have tray loaders. They are by far the most elegant ones I've ever seen in a computer, but tray loader's none the less. I don't see how Apple could put a slotloader in a PM anyway.
 

yenko

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2005
522
0
SouthWest-USA
rye9 said:
What are the benefits of a slotload CD-ROM drive? Anything can get in the slot like dust, small objects and stuff. Why doesnt Apple use trayload drives? I could be totally wrong about the slotload drives but as of now I dont see any advantages. Can someone please tell me some?
Well, for one thing, it doesn't pop out suddenly and knock the morning coffee cup all over my desk! :D
 

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
2,284
0
Alta, Norway
homerjward said:
speaking of slot-loading drives, anyone know where to get slot-loading desktop drives? i cant seem to find any...
Plextor PX-716AL is a slot loading DVD burner. (DVD-/+RW, +R DL). Probably won't come cheap though.

Pioneer used to have a DVD-ROM drive, I don't know if they make them anymore. I owned one for a while. Worked well enough.
 

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
9,170
2
mikemodena said:
PowerMac G5's have tray loaders. They are by far the most elegant ones I've ever seen in a computer, but tray loader's none the less. I don't see how Apple could put a slotloader in a PM anyway.

They could, but then they couldn't tout a cup holder as a fancy new spec.

:p
 

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
2,745
0
fig tree
dubbz said:
Plextor PX-716AL is a slot loading DVD burner. (DVD-/+RW, +R DL). Probably won't come cheap though.

Pioneer used to have a DVD-ROM drive, I don't know if they make them anymore. I owned one for a while. Worked well enough.
wow! :eek: as much as i'd love a slot-loading drive for my pc im certainly not paying $145 (newegg price) for one! perhaps a dvd-rom drive would be cheaper though and then i could just use my tray-load for burning...
 

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
1,076
11
Most important in my opinion is the lack of anything to break off on laptops. The trays on laptop optical drives are notoriously fragile with a slot loader nothing to break off.

Plus they are super cool.
 

Duff-Man

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2002
2,976
2
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...slot-loading drives are very attractive for laptops where weight and bulk are trying to be kept to a minimum. I've got a whole whack of Dell and HP/Compaq laptops I have to support at work with tray drives and they are bulky, heavy and totally non-elegant. For a true desktop, like the G5, then there's no reason not to use a tray-loading drive as they do tend to be a little less expensive and the newer, faster spec drives are almost always available in tray-loaders first....oh yeah!
 

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
1,194
0
LOST
slot load is fine once you get over the sound of it chewing up your disk when you first insert one.
 

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
3,038
30
Salt Lake City, UT
For the most part I do like the slot load drive on my PowerBook, but it does have some disadvantages. It can't take non-standard discs (business card, mini, etc) like a tray loader can. Also, I've noticed that discs that I use in the slot loader drive a lot get scratched a little bit from going in and out. Presumably it's from the disc scraping the bottom of the slot accidentally when I insert the disc. Even little scratches on my CDs and DVDs bug me, and in fact, none of them are scratched except for the (relatively few) that I've used in my PowerBook.
 

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
2,669
0
Ann Arbor, Michigan
reberto said:
There are only 2 major pros that I can think of right now

1. More compact
2.In a iMac, the drive is easier to replace sence you can just use any drive from a G4 iBook or Powerbook G4. Am I correct here?

Bu if you get a CD or DVD stuck inside, its no fun getting it out.
I don't think the laptop drives are the same as the one in the iMac.
 

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
1,469
1
Bay Area
I've always been fine with slot-loading disk drives... Until Apple decides you don't need a manual eject pin/hole. I'm actually dreading the day that I'll need it, only to find out that Apple decided they were "ugly" :rolleyes:
 

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
4,714
0
Gah! Plymouth
never had a problem with slot loading, i actually prefer it, it is one of the factors why i bought a slot loading DVD player over trayloading
 

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
4,400
3
I'll tell you one thing, on the iBooks, the slot loading drive makes it MUCH more sturdier and stronger on the underside by the drive. You don't have to worry about cracking it now, really. I love the slot loading drive because it also attracts people's attention. :eek:
 

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
1,469
1
Bay Area
eva01 said:
never had a problem with slot loading, i actually prefer it, it is one of the factors why i bought a slot loading DVD player over trayloading

Well, I haven't had any issues with my slot-loading drive on my PB, but something is bound to happen shortly after the warranty expires. And I KNOW I'm going to be pissed that Apple removed the manual eject (Well, I don't know if it was apple or not, nor do I care) but the fact that Apple used to have it in their PBs, and now they don't.
 

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
On a related topic, would you like to see tray-load CD players in a car? I think not.
 

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
2,499
1
Seattle, WA
reberto said:
There are only 2 major pros that I can think of right now

1. More compact
2.In a iMac, the drive is easier to replace sence you can just use any drive from a G4 iBook or Powerbook G4. Am I correct here?

Bu if you get a CD or DVD stuck inside, its no fun getting it out.
3. Doesn't brake off.

4. Less steps to insert Cd.
(Laptops)
Slot Load
- Slide CD in
Tray Load
- Press little button
- Wait for Tray to pop out
- Pull out Tray
- Put CD in
- Close Tray
5. Looks way cooler!

6. Tray Load on the iMac G5
Would look hideous
Hard to insert
-Press button
-Put CD in, and hold there
-Reach over to keyboard to press button
-Make sure CD doesn't fall out
Bad ejection
-Press button
- try and catch the cd before it lands on your desk and breaks in half.

Cons:

1. Doesn't take Mini Disks

2. Louder
 

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
1,469
1
Bay Area
w_parietti22 said:
6. Tray Load on the iMac G5
Would look hideous
Hard to insert
-Press button
-Put CD in, and hold there
-Reach over to keyboard to press button
-Make sure CD doesn't fall out
Bad ejection
-Press button
- try and catch the cd before it lands on your desk and breaks in half.
Uhh... Dramatic are we? :rolleyes:
While I do think I'd look hideous and I wouldn't want to see it on the iMac, it can be done, and it can work well. The PS2 can tilt on its side and the tray works just fine. So can my PC. CD breaking from a fall? Common. ;)