Slow hdd access = beach ball

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lapino, Sep 18, 2009.

1. lapino macrumors regular

My MBP 15" Unibody seems very sluggish when it comes to harddrive speed, and I've got a feeling I get the beachball quite often due to the drive not keeping up. Trash is empy, got about 150gb free on a 320gb drive but my MBP feels very very sluggish from time to time.

Any idea how I can speed things up? I'm running Snow Leopard btw, but had same issues with Leopard, did an upgrade, not clean install.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

What's your rpm? 5400? 7200?

3. calimed macrumors member

I had the same annoying beachball issues. Currently I am doing a clean install of snow leopard. I have a 15" with 320gb 5400. I'll let you know if it helps....

4. lapino thread starter macrumors regular

5. gaps macrumors member

gaps

Adding RAM?

Will adding ram help with beachball issues? My friend has a White Macbook bought in March and we upgraded his hard drive to the 500gb Seagate Momentus 7200. He still gets the beachball occasionally watching video on espn360.com? Will upgrading his ram to 4gb help? He still has 100gb free on the hdd. Thanks!

6. calimed macrumors member

I personally think that the RAM addition will not help. Especially if your seeing the beachball occur when then the only program that is open is safari. Just open "activity monitor" while watching espn360. If the ram shows that it is being maxed out then that could be the problem.

On a side note I reinstalled snow leopard (clean install), and I have not had one beachball in about 24 hours of use. Normally I got one about every 15 minutes. Keeping my fingers crossed.....

7. lapino thread starter macrumors regular

Got a 500gb 2.5" drive spare, going to try a clean snow leopard install in a few days, hoping that'll help. Also considering getting a new, fast drive.

8. gaps macrumors member

gaps

Thanks for the advice!