Slow Keyboard Performance in 2.0?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fuchal, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Anyone else having this issue? Every once and a while an app such as SMS or Mail's keyboard will slow to a crawl, delaying all the letters that I type. Force quit the app and open it again and the keyboard is fine. I'm assuming it's some sort of bug or leak in 2.0 that causes this.

However I'm hoping no one else has had this problem so I can just restore and it will go away :)

2. SMacDuff macrumors 6502

SMacDuff

Ya, I find that the keyboard lags quite a lot at times. However, the lagging doesn't seem to only be with the keyboard. My iPhone seems to lag with apps and generally moving around the menus. Backups also take much longer.

3. Barcode macrumors newbie

4. Aiphanes macrumors regular

Aiphanes

Which version of Iphone do you have? Which version of the 2.0 firmware do you have?

5. I am Sampson macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

Just happened to me when writting a text to, I find contacts very slow to repond sometimes soon, glad this isn't normal for iPhone v1, so suggests a firmware 2.1 could solve this.

6. Fuchal thread starter macrumors 68020

stock 3G firmware, 5a345

I didnt notice it on the 5a347 i put on my old iphone, but granted I didnt use it's keyboard very much before it was replaced with a new phone :)

7. buccsmf1 macrumors 6502

had the same thing happen to me in sms, just another disappointment to add to my growing 2.0 list

8. MojoWill macrumors 6502

9. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

Yeah it's happened to me and I think it's because of all of these 3rd party apps. Now you know why they didn't want 3rd party apps on the iPhone. I for one would be happy without them, the free ones I've tried so far are all crap!

10. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Happening here as well with iPhone 3G. Very annoying. Apple better send out an update soon. This 2.0 launch is a huge bust (except for of course the app store itself). But with apps crashing, slow loading menus, and lagging keyboard it has been thumbs down for Apple.

11. naujoks macrumors regular

naujoks

happens on my phone as well, not always though

12. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

same here. Its at its worst in map app when trying to enter directions

13. Fuchal thread starter macrumors 68020

Given Apple's history I would expect a 2.0.1 big fix update shortly.

14. mibrop macrumors newbie

Yep, experiencing the same.

I've posted here and on Apple forums about SMS app being the most common culprit, but the problem carries over to Safari as well.

"P" and Backspace go dead, non-responsive...then when they come alive they get stuck and repeatedly fire...other times keyboard sensitivity is all whacked, I press "O" and "I" fires, etc.

Nothing but keyboard problems since I got my iPhone 3g yesterday. Taking it it to a Genius today. Will post back my results from the visit.

Mike
    Seattle

15. mibrop macrumors newbie

This does not always resolve the issue -- my experience is it only works 1 out of 5 times... other attempts to "unstick" the keyboard problem is changing keyboard settings (toggle EN-US to EN_UK, etc.), but again not consistently successful.

16. Fuchal thread starter macrumors 68020

I restored my 5a345 to itunes' 5a347 and i havent had this issue come back yet... not enough time to tell for sure of course

17. terrrrrible macrumors regular

I've noticed that the autocorrect has been a little slow, I usually type fast but the keyboard always catches up.

One feature they need to add is a way to close the keyboard in SMS. (unless there is a way that I don't know of) In AIM you can just tap the message and the keyboard closes.

18. phildexter macrumors member

19. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

Happened to me earlier today, been good ever since. The 2.0 firmware was on a pretty tight deadline and they probably had to let it go with a few bugs. I'm sure firmware 2.0.1 will be out soon enough to fix this.

20. millerboy814 macrumors member

i was having problems, it was very annoying and slow all around even texting and going to settings and stuff... but i deleted the AIM application and the lag DRAMATICALLY speed up and there was little to no lag... not sure why or if its just a fluke or coincidience whooo knows, but i know it fixed it for the most part where its not as annoying

21. SMacDuff macrumors 6502

SMacDuff

Updated the firmware on mine and now the lagging is gone. Looks like it was just the 5a345 firmware that originally came with the phone that was making it lag in my case.

22. Fuchal thread starter macrumors 68020

Same for me - hasn't occurred again since I updated.

23. ajgilmer macrumors newbie

I'm having the same keyboard problems. Where do I download the updated firmware?

24. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Still happens for me running 47. Especially SMS

25. mibrop macrumors newbie

Well, I took my 16GB iPhone 3g (white) back to the Apple Store today and the Genius looked it over -- said that's the first keyboard problem he's seen come in and mentioned that it was strange the "dead zone" on the touch screen was vertical since, according to him, most "dead zones" tend to be horizontal areas. He said the touch screen matrix is laid out in three horizontal bands on the screens.

Bottom line: he gave me a new working iPhone 3g.

He did mention that all returned iPhone 3g's are being sent directly back to the iPhone 3g engineering team for full "autopsies", not just sent back to factory for refurb. He said they want to fully diagnose and understand what defects are out there so as to solve the root cause moving forward.