Slow shutdown

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by PhillyDK, Oct 22, 2013.

1. PhillyDK macrumors newbie

Hello everyone

I bought my first mac this summer - a Macbook Pro with Retina display. I've been very pleased with it so far. After installing the new Os X Mavericks today everythong ran smooth - even Safari seems like it ran alot smoother than on ML. The problem I noticed occured when I was about to shutdown the mac. Usually it takes a couple of seconds but now it took about a minute - and trust me I am not exaggerating. I tried to turn it on again to see if it still was slow and unfortunately it was. The start up is rather quick but I think it takes too long when it shuts down.

Are any of you experiencing the same problem? Do you have a solution for it? Do you think a formation of the mac would help; and if so do you know where to find a guide on how to format a mac?

Sorry for all the questions I am a rookie on a Mac. :D

- PhillyDK

2. eliezerborges macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem since ML. (I'm using a MBP retina as well)

3. Woodcrest64 macrumors 6502a

Woodcrest64

Yeah I have the same issue and so does my dad who owns a 2013 iMac.

4. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

Shutdown is and always has been slow for me in ML as well. Was hoping Mavericks would fix that but apparently, it hasn't.

5. ZeeDD macrumors member

Hi guys,

Look in console.app for shutdown stall in logs. My mavericks had a problem with a dropbox service which caused a 12 seconds stall on shutdown my 2013 MBA.

6. ericmpena macrumors newbie

Slow Shutdown

I also started experiencing slow shutdowns after installing Maverick.

My Macbook Pro Retina used to shut down completely in about 2-3 seconds. Now it's taking close to 30 seconds to shut down.

I use bootcamp and constantly need to reboot my computer in order to either go from Apple to Windows platform.

Anyone have any suggestions?

7. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

op late 2012 mbp running 10.9 and also noticing a very longer than usual shut down to sleep mode. probably 3 times as long as ML.

8. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I have a June 2012 MacBook Pro running Mavericks and I still have the slow shutdown problem that started with ML. However, now my computer takes forever to enter sleep mode when the lid is closed. It's so bad that if I were to pick up and move my MBP after closing the lid, the HDD continues to spin and I can hear it clicking loudly.

9. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

To the OP, I can verify that this problem is not fixed by a format and clean install.

That is the procedure I used to install Mavericks, and I'm having the same problem described by others here. My MacBook is also noticeably slower to enter sleep and shutdown.

10. Godf1st macrumors regular

My rMBP takes 10 or so seconds to shutdown, where as in ML it took 2 seconds are less. Something must be different because not all users are experiencing the slow shutdown. I've done a upgrade and a clean install and the problem is still there! What makes me think it's software is because for me ML was not the same.:confused:

11. coldjeanzzz macrumors 6502a

In ML it used to take 10-12 seconds to shut down, after upgrading to Mavericks it now shuts down in 2 seconds. I assumed they had fixed it but I guess I just got lucky :confused:

12. I8P'CS macrumors 6502

Here you go worked for me, All I need now is to get the one for long start up which has happened since Mavericks.

Type these commands into the terminal window one by one,press enter after each entry, right after go to disk utility repair permissions in the disc utility. Turn off and boot up. All will be fixed

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.coreservices.appleevents ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.securityd ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.diskarbitrationd ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.coreservices.appleid.authentication ExitTimeOut -int 1

13. Narrator Jack, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  14. I8P'CS macrumors 6502

Yes. No issues for me mate. I was skeptical too until it worked for me. Went from 30-40 secs with spinning cog wheel to 2-5. 2011 iMac.

15. Godf1st macrumors regular

So does this just change the write times or what exactly is it doing? Are these the defaults that were in ML? Just wondering since my rMBP didn't have this issue in ML.

16. Narrator Jack, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  17. Godf1st macrumors regular

What about shutdowns? My Mac sleeps instantly.

18. Narrator Jack, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014

Narrator Jack macrumors member

Narrator Jack

19. Godf1st, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013

Godf1st macrumors regular

It didn't work for me. I ended up getting a shutdown stall and then back to slow shutdown on rMBP.:confused:

I've tried multiple times and to no avail. I did gain a few ms on boot up, lol.

20. jake85 macrumors newbie

I too am getting a slow shutdown or when I restart with my early 2013 15" retina macbook pro after upgrading to Mavericks.

it appears to freeze the mac, check out my video

this is happening all the time now.

Console reports "shutdown stall" errors:

Date/Time: 2013-10-25 17:35:59 +1100
    OS Version: 10.9 (Build 13A603)
    Architecture: x86_64
    Report Version: 18

Command: No Target
    Path: No Target
    Version: ??? (???)
    Parent: UNKNOWN PROCESS [0]

PID: 0
    Event: shutdown stall
    Duration: 12.03s (sampling started after 2 seconds)
    Steps: 101 (100ms sampling interval)

Hardware model: MacBookPro10,1
    Active cpus: 8
    Fan speed: 2160 rpm

Free pages: 1784320 pages (-644)
    Pageins: 7 pages
    Pageouts: 0 pages
    Swapins: 0 pages
    Swapouts: 0 pages

Process: gamed [397]
    Path: /System/Library/Frameworks/GameKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/gamed
    Architecture: x86_64
    Parent: launchd [238]
    UID: 501
    Sudden Term: Dirty (allows idle exit)
    Task size: 10748 pages (+69)
    Pageins: 1 pages
    CPU Time: 0.011s
    Importance: Adaptive, Boosted

21. kensic macrumors 6502

this is so weird,

so on the first day mavericks came out, i did a clean install on the partition that i used for the developing preview version (the other main partition was ML). and all my shut downs were quick. about 2 secs.

then on the 4th day i did a TOTALLY new install again, this time wiping both partitions of ML and Mavericks (by reformatting the whole drive and making it only 1 partition) and all my shut downs on this case has been slow. about 10 secs.

so i dont get it....:(

22. serkan macrumors 6502

serkan

I had the same issue back in the ML but when I have upgraded to Mavericks my problem solved. I use MBP Early 2011 and when I bought my Mac with Snow Leopard my shutdown time was amazing then I have installed ML and it got zoo bad that I neatly hated my system but with Mavericks problem solved and its shutting down even faster. What I have done is that back up my files to an hard drive (not time machine) and erase the disk from the start up menu (cmd+d) and re install the mavericks from there as well. And same problem with my friend , he solved with resetting PRAM and VRAM. As I have understood it varies different. Give it a try.

23. slide023 macrumors member

slide023

Kensic

Same thing here, but I didn't have another partition with ML on it. I've switched back and forth several times between ML and Mavs. Clean installs. I too am noticing much longer shutdowns, and startups now with Mavericks.

Slide023 MBA mid 2012 4GB RAM 1.8GhZ i5 dual core 128 SSD.

24. LV426 macrumors 6502a

When you ask your computer to shutdown, it makes a polite request to running services to close themselves down gracefully. Depending on what each is currently doing, that might happen right away or take quite a bit of time.

Each of these services has a default period of time that it will patiently wait before giving up the ghost and doing a forced closure. The suggested commands change the default impatience to a short value, and Mavericks will go around clobbering each one on the head with a hammer when you say shutdown. There is, however, the risk that setting a very short timeout might result in an incomplete tidy-up when your machine shuts down. If you're happy with that, go for it.

25. Godf1st macrumors regular

Thanks for the explanation. After trying you r method twice it didn't change anything. I'm still getting the 11 or so seconds shutdown.