iPad Pro Sluggish Safiri : FIXED!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sjleworthy, Feb 11, 2016.

1. sjleworthy, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016

sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

for me anyway, and my Safari experience was pretty awful!

a fair few peeps been complaining of Safari more often than not being slow. sluggish. failing to cache properly and not rendering or scrolling image heavy pages. As i say, i suffered so much of the time with it. needed a fresh re-start of the app, then it quickly started up again.

in this thread - http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/safari-on-ipad-pro.1954800/ - i noticed the people who generally didn't suffer these issues were those with ad blockers installed. i always thought, as did others here, ad blockers would further impede performance if anything.

so out of interest i installed 'Purify' (minimal fee) and activated it. just to see what would happen.

and Wow. All Safari issues solved

I've done a good amount of heavy and continuous testing with a mass of image heavy sites and a ton of other apps open simultaneously and nadda. zip. super silky smooth Safari all the way through. haven't yet had a single slow down or re-start.
    Obviously there's crappy hidden end code in a lot of these sites slowing things down that an ad blocker filters out (and a lot of the sites i visit don't support ads in the first place).

I recall my desk top browser, Firefox, also had a performance boost when i activated an ad blocker too. some sites must contain a load of hidden rubbish that really impede browsers sometimes.

So my advice - install an ad blocker!

2. Beavix macrumors 6502a

Beavix

That's for sure. But a decent browser running on a modern device shouldn't have troubles handling this kind of garbage.

3. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Ad-blockers are great, but they are not perfect. Unlike ad-blockers for desktop blockers, these new crop of mobile ad blockers are less configurable, and there are sites that just don't work with this, unfortunately.

At the same time, many modern sites are simply horrible. They bombarded your browser with dozens of trackers and analytics. It's a waste of my device's computing speed. Why should a browser spend their software engineering in helping ad companies?

4. Beavix macrumors 6502a

Beavix

A browser should simply work, should not have memory leaks and should not have troubles displaying regular web pages. Let's not blame the advertising companies for the bugs in the browsers.

5. pika2000 macrumors 68030

You are talking about bugs. The topic here is about speed. There are plenty of objective measurements out there that shows those dozens of trackers and analytics slow down web sites. Cannot deny the science.

6. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

Any suggestions on a good ad blocker?

7. pika2000 macrumors 68030

On iOS, I also use Purify like the OP. It's okay but it breaks some websites as well.

On the desktop, I am more aggressive since the tools are more configurable as well. On my Firefox, I have adblock, noscript, and disconnect. They break most websites out of the gate, but I can tweak things more granularly to make the sites work again. Can't do that on Purify.

8. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the advise! I've never used an ad blocker before, but I'm going to try it.

I've never used an ad blocker before, but after reading the description of Purify, it has a whitelist option. So if a site gets messed up from the ad blocker, you can always have it automatically deactivate for that site.

9. sjleworthy thread starter macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

Whatever the issue, mobile Safari is at fault.

Been constant browsing all day in it for 8 hours + in a single session, still fault free so far with an ad blocker though (and yet to come across a site it disallows) :)

10. abrahamw88 macrumors member

abrahamw88

I installed the Crystal ad blocker on my devices as soon as it came out and I have not looked back since. Having all the extra trackers and ads removed makes browsing so much faster. Also, Crystal is free.

11. xrevilationx macrumors member

xrevilationx

12. fricotin macrumors regular

I am using Crystal also, no fuss no muss, it does the job for me.

13. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

I had been using Crystal since its release as well until recently. I started noticing more ads creeping through. So out of curiosity (and after some research) I gave 1Blocker a try to see if there was a difference. It was like night and day, even the free version of 1Blocker was much better than Crystal.

I've upgraded to the paid version and it's stunning. You can customise it so much to get just what you want. And if you find ads creeping in that it doesn't yet cover, you can even create your own rules to stop them.

I was having some issues with Safari being sluggish even when I was using Crystal. But not anymore, it's buttery smooth.

(No, that's not an advert, I'm just really impressed with the app :) )

14. Michael Goff, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016

Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

I've always ended up turning them off. It is a great experience, just never personally felt like I should keep them on.

15. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

I tend to whitelist my regularly visited sites so that they can generate some revenue, but I like the ad blockers for some websites that really do go a bit too far with the ads.

I do a lot of browsing on my iOS devices, far more than on my Mac and I especially hate it when you follow a link and end up on some site that automatically opens a link to some cr*#*# bad word :D game on the AppStore without asking or warning or anything. That really gets my goat, so they get blocked.

16. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

I use my Pro as my main computer, only using the MBP when it's one of those "update all of the iOS devices to the latest beta" days. What blocker do you use? I have Ad Guard, Focus, Crystal.

17. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Yeah, my Mac really just gets used during the day when I'm programming. But as soon as I finish up it's iPad (and iPhone) all the way. I do use a Remote Desktop app on my iPad Pro, just in case I really need to do something on the Mac, saves me going up to the office to use it.

I was using Crystal, but I've just recently switched to 1Blocker because I noticed more ads creeping through with Crystal. Honestly 1Blocker is amazing. Even the free version is by far Better than Crystal. I upgraded to the full version and the amount of options and flexibility you get is utterly amazing. You can even create your own blocking rules. (I'm not affiliated with the developer, and it's not me, wish it was :D I just think it's a great app)