Small chip in MacBook Pro display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PatrickNSF, Apr 11, 2014.

1. PatrickNSF macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

I've noticed a very small chip in my MacBook Pro retina display. It's about 6 months old, so still under warranty. Is this the type of thing handled under AppleCare? Or has anyone had any success repairing or minimizing small scratches/chips?

It's right in the middle of the screen and mostly noticeable on white spaces (e.g., editing documents).

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not generally because AC does not cover accidental damage. Being 6 months old, you may have a difficult time convincing Apple that it was always there, i.e., you didn't do it.

3. HowEver macrumors 6502a

HowEver

It wouldn't hurt to ask, at a store, if you can.

Let us know how it goes!

4. PatrickNSF thread starter macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

Took the laptop into the Apple store this morning and they're replacing the screen under warranty. They didn't even hesitate to offer – I was pretty impressed.

5. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Good to know. I got one too just a few days after receiving my rMBP. I read that these "popping pixels" leave craters in the glass that you can feel and that a few people have had the same issues. As I hardly notice the pit and everything else about the machine is tip-top I haven't wanted to take it in for repair. Glad to know that they might replace the display if I do decide to though.

6. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

Is there a test that you can run that will highlight dead pixels?

Barney

7. Robeckhard macrumors member

How big was the chip in the screen and did it affect the actual display. I have one too and its about 3 months old and they would've charged me $470 for a new screen.

8. PatrickNSF thread starter macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

The chip was the size of a couple of toothpick-sized points. It was small, but noticeable on solid, light-colored areas (e.g., the white space of TextEdit, the grey area of a window). I could feel it with my fingernail.

All I did was go in with my receipt, told them I'd never noticed it before and didn't know when or how it happened. Told them I hadn't experienced anything like this on any of our past laptops. But let them know (very politely) that since most of my work involves test editing, and it was right in the middle of the screen, it was driving me crazy. And I was concerned that the chip would get bigger if left un-repaired.

They didn't hesitate to replace the screen under warranty. They quoted me up to a week turnaround, but it was available the next day – yesterday. I really expected it to be much more of a hassle, but it couldn't have been easier. And it convinced me that I need to buy AppleCare before my warranty expires, which I've never done before.

9. HowEver macrumors 6502a

HowEver

"All I did was go in with my receipt, told them I'd never noticed it before and didn't know when or how it happened. Told them I hadn't experienced anything like this on any of our past laptops. But let them know (very politely) that since most of my work involves test editing, and it was right in the middle of the screen, it was driving me crazy. And I was concerned that the chip would get bigger if left un-repaired."

Odd you didn't notice it before if it's driving you crazy.

A chip in the middle of the screen.

10. stringerhye macrumors regular

stringerhye

This is frustrating. Went to the Genius Bar before because I noticed a small crack in the top left of my screen from a computer that I bought only 1 month ago and the Genius told me I should hope that the screen breaks in some other fashion so that they would replace the screen. He wasn't helpful at all.

11. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Bummer. Maybe pick up accident insurance and file a claim after a month or two.

12. PatrickNSF thread starter macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

Why is that odd? It's quite possible it only chipped last week when I first noticed it. I specifically told them I didn't know how or when it happened.

13. Robeckhard macrumors member

I walked in and the 'Genius" looked at it and said that she "hoped" that something would happen so that I didn't have to pay for a replacement. I wasn't trying to spend $470 on a new screen on top of the cost of the computer. I wish I had your luck.

14. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Apple's support is amazing. I have been lucky and only had to contact them twice but both times that were excellent. I'm currently watching one of my friends battle Dell's support on a notebook issue.

You never truly appreciate Apple's support until you see how badly others are.

Every time I see one of those "Alienware Horror Story" posts, I find the whole thing fascinating. With literally ten years of posts from people who have had terrible service from Dell, I'm amazed people still buy them!

Apple isn't perfect but I have found their support to be excellent!

-P

15. radley macrumors newbie

radley

HI All,

I too have this same problem on my 2013 MBPr 13". Several tiny chips on the screen that look like dead pixels and are very annoying.

Had the screen replaced as had several chips and they seemed to be multiplying. Apple did this under AppleCare for free without even hesitating.

Now 2 months later on the new screen I have the same thing. :(

After the first one I've been even more careful than usual, kept it clean, made sure there is no sand or dust or anything on the keyboard but still its happened.

Very disappointed and would love to know whats happening.

16. Dekema2 macrumors 6502a

Dekema2

These chips can certainly become problems when editing photos.

17. Maso_Sarawr macrumors newbie

Mine has the same thing! I've had my macbook about 2 years and I legitimately just noticed it. Its very small at the bottom left hand side. My Mac is my baby and has NEVER been dropped or fallen or had anything hit the screen. In fact most of the time it stays inside its case on my bedside table...how?