Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
The problem is not enough people buy small iPhones or small phones a small market no wonder Apple don’t make them anymore
I guess I understand the point of view, but even at the much smaller % of the iPhone sales, Apple was still selling many millions of Mini-sized iPhones.

Besides, there are plenty of Apple products that did not sell well compared to the product category, and Apple continued to sell it. Look at the Apple Watch when it was first launched compared to now.

Not saying that Apple will definitely sell a smaller iPhone again, but I wouldn't bet against it.

Maybe once the novelty of large phones wear off, the market might shift again towards smaller phones.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
I think once the 6.1" or 6.3" display iPhone reached 4000mAh, that will be the time I downsize from iPhone 14 Pro Max...

I never had the chance to physically compare the iPhone 5/5c/5s/SE 2016 to iPhone 12/13 mini because I no longer have the iPhone 5/5c/5s/SE 2016 and I was not able to purchase the iPhone 12/13 mini when it was new...

The iPhone 6s feels nice in the hand, feels like the perfect size, but battery life is not great... I went with the iPhone 7 Plus since it had a bigger battery and larger screen as bonus... If given the chance to go back in time to purchase another iPhone instead of what I have which is iPhone 14 Pro Max, I may have gone with iPhone 11 Pro or iPhone 13 Pro even though they don't have 4000mAh battery...

Right at this time, I'm still debating whether to sell or trade what I have for a smaller model, it's just the bigger battery stops me from doing so...

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Maybe once the novelty of large phones wear off, the market might shift again towards smaller phones.

Maybe.

Along this line of thought, wonder is not so much novelty but where the deals were?

Recently handed a server my Mini so she could get the promo code off it and she was amazed at how light and comfortable it is. Told her it was the 13 Mini, she said "never knew it existed". Did not/do not follow telco deals, so speculation here, since many people get their phones on deals, most of those are/were "regular" or Pros, so Mini never was on radars? Add in Apple maybe never really advertised it well (can say pretty much same for SEs), poor advertising by Apple and partners helped doom it?

"Awful" battery life argument is probably not applicable here as 1) Average Person on the Street does not follow tech sites 2) never used/tried a Mini so battery life probably was never part of their equation. (for the record, battery life for me is fine: I don't live on the phone, play games, videos, doom scroll social media sites)

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
The problem is not enough people buy small iPhones or small phones a small market no wonder Apple don’t make them anymore ..
Yeah, thanks, I am aware, no need to rub it in! (Although Apple has never made a small phone with the good camera and the good screen, I’m curious how an iPhone Pro mini would have fared.)

Here's the stupid oversized iPhone Pro that I begrudgingly lug around next to a normal hand-sized phone.

I miss that form factor every single day.

240315-iPhone.jpg

Last edited:

Riffz60

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2016
The issue isn’t that people don’t want the option of small phones. It’s that they are gimped in other areas.

For example I was really excited to get a small SE2 before but the battery was SO bad it wasn’t possible to use it daily.

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
Just like small vehicles, the market has spoken, who wants a tiny putt putt sedan when they can have F-150 Raptor! Go big or go home

• Haha
Reactions: Le Big Mac

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
i remember when current sized phones were called phablets, to be fair at the time people used them just as a phone+some apps . Today its main user's device into the world wide web, i dont think people buy laptops any more

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
I love my small phones, but just have to accept no one is gonna make them anymore. No Zenphone 11 5.9” is pretty much the nail in the coffin, and its quite sad really. The 6.1” phones are now the mainstream small phones (15 pro and S24 etc), and even that size is in danger of going in 1-2 years.

Reactions: Chuckeee

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
As someone mentioned, a lot of it also has to do with carriers and retailers pushing/discounting the more expensive options towards consumers

Which then means only a select minority of customers who insist on smaller models end up buying them. Hence poorer sales.

Last edited:

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
The entire situation is both depressing and totally ridiculous

Our hands aren’t getting bigger, and we sure as heck need some smaller options for those of us who barely want to use these things at all, and do it somewhat reluctantly quite honestly.

Last edited:

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
The entire situation is both depressing and totally ridiculous

Our hands aren’t getting bigger, and we sure as heck need some smaller options for those of us who barely want to use these things at all, and do it somewhat reluctantly quite honestly.

A few thousands years from now, natural selection would cause people with smaller hands to be technologically isolated from the masses ha.

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
A few thousands years from now, natural selection would cause people with smaller hands to be technologically isolated from the masses ha.
iPhone 13Minis will be somewhat dated by then though I would expect.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
I do not miss small screens. I thought I did. I went from a Max to a Pro, and at first I was happy. Until I noticed little scaling issues that I did not have before. So my next phone will be a Max.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
I guess I understand the point of view, but even at the much smaller % of the iPhone sales, Apple was still selling many millions of Mini-sized iPhones.

Besides, there are plenty of Apple products that did not sell well compared to the product category, and Apple continued to sell it. Look at the Apple Watch when it was first launched compared to now.

Not saying that Apple will definitely sell a smaller iPhone again, but I wouldn't bet against it.

iPhone 16 Pro is rumored to have size increase this year, I will bet my money regular iPhone 17 will see size increase again.

Maybe iPhone 12 and 13 mini sold million, but it is clear that mini series wasn't making enough money or not sold well enough to warrant RD cost and logistic cost. Apple make clear decision to kill mini phone, as clearly vast majority of people prefer larger phones.

To be clear, I want a 7 inch phone with large battery, for day trips as backup phone. But I am perfectly fine with regular iPhone Pro size for daily use.

My daily use devices is iPhone 13 Pro along side Pixel 6 Pro.

Reactions: JPack

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
Maybe.

Along this line of thought, wonder is not so much novelty but where the deals were?

Recently handed a server my Mini so she could get the promo code off it and she was amazed at how light and comfortable it is. Told her it was the 13 Mini, she said "never knew it existed". Did not/do not follow telco deals, so speculation here, since many people get their phones on deals, most of those are/were "regular" or Pros, so Mini never was on radars? Add in Apple maybe never really advertised it well (can say pretty much same for SEs), poor advertising by Apple and partners helped doom it?

"Awful" battery life argument is probably not applicable here as 1) Average Person on the Street does not follow tech sites 2) never used/tried a Mini so battery life probably was never part of their equation. (for the record, battery life for me is fine: I don't live on the phone, play games, videos, doom scroll social media sites)

I have all size iPhone 12 and iPhone 13 mini wne Pro. Battery life is just bad for mini series. While I had iPhone 12 mini, it never lasted me half day.

IPhone 12 Pro Max however, had amazing battery runtime. So even Apple somehow has new mini, I won't consider at all due to subpar battery runtime.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Consumers buy what they prefer. There is a premium for iPhone Pro Max because people want the bigger screen and better camera experience. The small phone market is stagnant and consumers are adopting large phones due to more and more screen time.

Apple doesn't have unlimited resources to develop phones while maintaining quality. Why do you think they stagger the device shipping dates each September?

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
…who wants a tiny putt putt sedan when they can have F-150 Raptor! Go big or go home
I live in Phoenix, AZ. Here and around the valley big trucks are king. No big deal really, except that since 2019 we've all of a sudden gotten a lot of aggressive drivers. Speeding (in excess of 100mph on city streets), blowing red lights (often at over 100mph), weaving in and out of traffic and a lot of tailgating.

I drive a Nissan Sentra and while I'd appreciate having a larger vehicle, primarily the only reason I'd be buying a larger truck is to meet parity with the bullies. Drive a bigger truck around here and people are less likely to try and cut you off, blow a light in front of you or tailgate you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.