Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
i dont think people buy laptops any more
Since I got my job with my current employer in 2019 my work Mac has been a MBP - a laptop. We got new Macs in late November 2023. Laptops.

There are certain years/models of MBPs (laptops) that I don't have yet. I get a price in my range, I'm buying a laptop.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I live in Phoenix, AZ. Here and around the valley big trucks are king. No big deal really, except that since 2019 we've all of a sudden gotten a lot of aggressive drivers. Speeding (in excess of 100mph on city streets), blowing red lights (often at over 100mph), weaving in and out of traffic and a lot of tailgating.

Same in Boise, ID

On some of the arterials it's like being trapped in a scene from Idiocracy, with morons blasting all over the place in their Bigfoots

628D1E5D-07F2-4FF0-B1C5-8D740BB523DA.jpg

PKFC

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2008
:( Yeah I went from a 5S to an SE1 to a 13 mini. That was the jobless drought. Work before upgraded my 3G to a 4, 4S, 5 then 5S. But I've lost the ability? stomach? for upgrading phones? But bought the mini when the 14 came out so I saved a measly $90 CAD. Now I'm thinking about a 16PM.. But there's a cute little spot in my car where the 5S/SE/mini lives (which would have been gauges if I had the RS..). So I'm not sure what to doooooooooooo. I mean. Step one would probably be stop doing Teams calls for work on the mini to kill the battery and make me think the battery sucks on it. But AirPods Pro for a headset is convenient compared to the wired earpods I still carry around in my bag (instead of my pocket in the SE era).. 2022 was a huge upgrade year and I was good limping through the job drought because nothing was broken. So now when nothing is broken again.. It.. feels weirder :p

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
What are people doing on their phones that causes the battery not to last even a full day? Genuine question. (I probably charge mine once or twice a week, and I make next to no calls and send very few texts.)
Social media, media consumption (music, Youtube), games, possibly maps or other location apps like fitness apps for running or cycling, just off the top of my head.

Reactions: JapanApple

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
What are people doing on their phones that causes the battery not to last even a full day? Genuine question. (I probably charge mine once or twice a week, and I make next to no calls and send very few texts.)
So what! My dad's phone battery lasted weeks, sometimes even months. He only turned it on when he wanted to make a call.

Voice mail: "This is your father, call me!" then he'd promptly turn the phone off! :)

Tom

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Basically people use their phones/devices as substitute computers, media devices and gaming consoles. You know, everything that those actual devices do. I myself am not into that. As large as phones may get, I'm still going to watch TV or a show on my 55" HDTV instead of my 11 Pro Max.

But people seem to want to have something in their hand rather than sitting in front of something, so that's what happens.

ATmahe

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2023
I didn’t buy the Mini because it was no Pro and it was the time of Covid.
During that period I was happy with a bigger screen (got the 12 and 13 PM), but now I‘m much more on the road again.
I have a 15 Pro and would be more than happy if it’s smaller.
Battery usually is no issue for me and I don’t use my phone that much (2-4h screentime per day).
But I usually have a possibility to charge the phone if necessary.

Reactions: scrane

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Lots of WhatsApp messaging, FaceTime & WhatsApp video calls, Skype, web-browsing, video playback apps - YouTube, Prime, Netflix, Disney+, etc… GPS mapping, phone calls, investment platforms, music, photography/video recording… my iPhone is basically my computer. I have an M1 MBA but barely use it.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden

🤷‍♂️

I wonder the same.

I basically only charged my 12 mini and 13 mini in the car, never experienced the battery as limiting in any way.

Netflix, Disney+

Really? But why?

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
I live in Phoenix, AZ. Here and around the valley big trucks are king. No big deal really, except that since 2019 we've all of a sudden gotten a lot of aggressive drivers. Speeding (in excess of 100mph on city streets), blowing red lights (often at over 100mph), weaving in and out of traffic and a lot of tailgating.
Prescott as well.
The big truck mentality also seems to attract the loud muffler crowd, and a lot of belching exhaust smoke. :rolleyes:

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
The entire situation is both depressing and totally ridiculous

Our hands aren’t getting bigger, and we sure as heck need some smaller options for those of us who barely want to use these things at all, and do it somewhat reluctantly quite honestly.
Thank god it's not just me....😀
Of all my Apple devices (Macs/iPad/iPhone), my phone is the least used device, but then I don't touch social media.

I really would like an iPhone mini (seems like my perfect option), but they are unavailable in the UK now.
I will probably get an SE3 soon, which is exactly the same size as my 7.

LONG LIVE SMALLER PHONES...📱

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Thank god it's not just me....😀

It's definitely not just you

I've been toting my iPhone 13 Mini with me to the gym and even that I find cumbersome and I just switched to one of my old iPod Shuffles (last version they made - but I had them all) + a BT transmitter for AirPods

Man I wish Apple made something like that "Mighty" thing that is a "shuffle with bluetooth", but for their own ecosystem.

It'd sure be cool if they'd make some fun and niche products again, and not just only make the few SUPER high volume mainstream things. It's just .... uninteresting and unsatisfying... and the lack of even making a "kind of smaller iPhone" anymore is another example of it.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
It’s like a manual transmission. A very very small percentage of users want them, which isn’t enough to develop one for the masses. That’s also why Honda dropped their 2.0t on their Accord models. Not enough buyers to justify another configuration.

Reactions: scrane

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
It’s like a manual transmission. A very very small percentage of users want them, which isn’t enough to develop one for the masses. That’s also why Honda dropped their 2.0t on their Accord models. Not enough buyers to justify another configuration.

I just don't know if I buy that argument fully, especially now that all the R&D and tooling and everything was already paid for with the 13 Mini

I can't believe they couldn't justify keeping that going and fitting newer components in the same form factor every 3 years or something.

Whole thing is maddening.

The iPhone lineup is drop dead boring to me anymore.
I don't find any of it innovative or interesting ... everything is just a big, bigger or huge phablet

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
I just don't know if I buy that argument fully, especially now that all the R&D and tooling and everything was already paid for with the 13 Mini

I can't believe they couldn't justify keeping that going and fitting newer components in the same form factor every 3 years or something.

I don't find any of it innovative or interesting ... everything is just a big, bigger or huge phablet

To produce a mini phone, you need a dedicated line to produce casing, ordering separate screen, different battery etc. plus all the logistics, marketing, stocking etc.

All of these costs money. Apple probably find sales numbers does not justifies cost associated.

Reactions: kitKAC and JPack

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
To produce a mini phone, you need a dedicated line to produce casing, ordering separate screen, different battery etc. plus all the logistics, marketing, stocking etc.

All of these costs money. Apple probably find sales numbers does not justifies cost associated.

Precisely. It’s the opportunity cost of selling, stocking, and supporting iPhone mini instead of iPhone Plus.

Some people are basically suggesting Apple copy Samsung by keeping low margin, low volume products on the shelf. That’s just throwing good money after bad money. Samsung does that to keep brand recognition especially around low end products. Apple doesn’t need that.

Apple isn’t in the habit of keeping products that don’t consumers don’t buy.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois

I think what they find funny is you don't buy the argument.. It's obvious ALL phone manufacturers aren't willing to sell a phone under 6' anymore. People who want such a device will have to keep what they're using until it no longer functions. Then your choice will be move up to the next smallest phone (6.1'-6.3') or try to find used, refurbished or old stock of a previous design that's been discontinued. The folding design doesn't solve anything either because while closed it's twice as thick and opened it's just as big as larger phones so one hand use is not ideal..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.