Small Screens' Fans!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by M.Tarek, Sep 20, 2015.

1. M.Tarek macrumors newbie

M.Tarek

I'm currently having iPhone 4s, I have it for 3-3.5 years. I intended to upgrade, but since I hate the big screens, I don't know if I will love iPhone 6 size as much as I looove my 4s one or not!
    Talking about the design, iPhone 6 design is pretty pretty good, but I'm from that classic designs' fans (iPhone 4 - 5 series) :D. For who did upgrade from these series to the new design, and were in love with the old designs, did you like it, or missing that ones??
    I really don't know what step should I take :(, should I go for 5s or 6s? but I loved that new upgrades in 6s.

(I am talking here from two perspectives, screen and design differences) :)

2. thatpluslife macrumors regular

thatpluslife

I went from a 4 to a galaxy s4 which is equivalent, in size, to a iPhone 6. At first I had a hard time whether to stay with the size of the 4 with the 4s or jump to a bigger size. After long thought I just went for it and now I can't look back. lol It's not just about screen size but a bigger screen let's you enjoy the operating system a lot more. You have access to more things and the experience for me was more pleasing on a bigger screen. Now I'm getting the 6s plus lol
    Negatives would be getting used to the size in your hand and pockets. A lot of the times these new bigger phones are lighter than the old ones so you may even enjoy using it more.

I personally would go with the 6s. If you don't know how you would feel buy like a dollar case for the 6s or 6 off of eBay and hold it in your hand. Hold it compared to your 4s. If you can get over the design then go for the upgrade and enjoy a really fun experience with the 6 or 6s. :)

3. M.Tarek thread starter macrumors newbie

M.Tarek

You did persuade me, bro :):)
    I think, you did increase my chance of going for iPhone 6s from 30% to more that 65%.
    Thanks thanks thanks

4. Gaz0811 macrumors newbie

I'm the same, I've got a 4 at the moment so in desperate need to upgrade. Getting a 6s in space grey and my case came a couple of days ago so I've been comparing it to my 4, putting i my pocket things like that. It feels a little strange at the moment, the 4 is pretty much the perfect size for me but I'm sure I'll get used to it and wonder how I ever coped with a smaller screen.

5. ddkkpp macrumors 6502

ddkkpp

i hate the idea of a bigger screen. when i upgraded from 4S to 5, (i liked the aluminum back design better), even the slightly longer screen bugged me in my pocket when i was sitting or riding a bike, for example.

now i'm upgrading from the 5S to the 6S and i'm worried that the larger screen won't fit right in my pockets... the best designed phone was the 5 - the space black was actually black (even though it flaked off almost immediately), though i didn't think i'd like the longer screen, i adjusted quite quickly not even noticing the longer screen (in use).

i don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing, but i do feel the 5S dig into my hip every once in a while and i have to re-position it in my pocket. kinda annoying. ho-hum.

i was really hoping that the 6S would come in a 4S or 5 screen size as well. oh well.

6. kasakka macrumors 68000

I went from an iPhone 4 to a Galaxy S4. I've been using that for 2.5 years now but have always found it just a tiny bit too big. I think the iPhone 6 is a bit better as it's just a tiny bit narrower so it fits better in the hand. Where it fails though is the slippery case (S4 actually has the same issue but can be rectified by getting a better back cover) so all size benefits are lost when you cram a case on it.

The whole phone industry has gone crazy over bigger and bigger phones. For my hands anything bigger than 5" display is just unweildy to use one handed. I would really love if Apple catered to the smaller phones crowd next year with maybe a 4.2-4.3 inch screen with minimal bezel. As it is there are only crap cheap Android phones covering those sizes.
    I tried an iPhone 5S in a store recently and felt that the display is just too cramped on it compared to my S4. Safari's awful scrolling (lots of flicks needed on a long page) doesn't help.

So a size larger than the iPhone 4 or 5 is my preference but not as big as many current models.

7. M.Tarek thread starter macrumors newbie

M.Tarek

So, you support the idea of upgrading to 6s, dude!

8. DynamicSausage macrumors 6502

DynamicSausage

As much as I think the whole concept of a one-handed 4" phone is great, I feel like the way people use their phones is moving way past the point of those screens being ideal. When it comes to browsing or playing games, bigger is better and there's advantages when typing too.

I find it quite easy to adapt between any sizes that are thrown at me but after having a 5S for two years I look at a 4/4S and think "wow, that's so small, must be hard to do anything serious on". Now that the 6 has been out for a year now I feel like the 5 series is starting to get dwarfed too. I understand that there are some people who still want 4" but the majority is moving forward and loving it.

9. iTom17 macrumors 6502a

iTom17

You know, at first I've always thought Apple should stay at the 4 inch display size. And then they announced iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. I doubted about getting the iPhone 6, since I was afraid it would be too big for my hands. Decided to get one eventually. Turns out, it's not such a big deal after all. I still have to hold my phone in one hand and use the other one do perform some tasks, but I don't really mind that.

Still think, that Apple should make 4 inch iPhones again. I do understand it would make it very hard to produce so many different phones, but having a 4 inch, 4.7 inch and 5.5 inch iPhone 6s for example, that would be amazing! I'd definitely consider going for the 4 inch model, even though I got used to 4.7 inch now. :p

10. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Why don't you just hold one from one of the stores that carry them to see for yourself ? People are different and they like different things and cannot give you and you alone a reason to upgrade to a larger size. Only you can do this by holding one

11. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

The 5.5 was a novelty at first but after a couple of weeks it becomes cumbersome. Even with the slimmest case I can find its annoying as he'll when you have something in your other hand and you need your phone right quick. No more tablet phones for me. 4.7 to 5 is the sweet spot.

12. M.Tarek thread starter macrumors newbie

M.Tarek

YES! confusing me more and more! :D:D

13. lugworm macrumors 6502

lugworm

The 6 series won't dig into your hip....it'll simply bend around it !!!

Waiting for the bites......

14. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

I went from a 4s to a 6 and whilst i do like the extra real-estate, i do HATE the fact that i can't reach the top corners with my thumb (without the lame double tap thing). I'd much prefer that apple figure out how to get the additional features into a screen similarly sized to the 4s personally.

I also tried a 6s before settling on the 6 and found it to be pretty ridiculous. Definitely a 2 handed phone.

15. DynamicSausage macrumors 6502

DynamicSausage

Don't forget, if Apple do release a new 4" phone there will have to be a substitute somewhere along the line. You'll be given either less features and power and a smaller battery. Less features may result in good battery life but the same features and a small battery will make a lot of people furious. Either way, somebody is going to buy the phone and then kick off about how it isn't as good as the bigger models and they're being punished for not wanting large screens. Just something to consider.

You may already know, and this is definitely not a problem solver but double touching (not clicking) the home button whilst on the home screen will bring the app icons lower on the screen so you can reach. Not of much use once you're in the app I know but it's something :p

16. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

I know about that, as i said, its annoying that i can't reach without the double tap... it doesn't ALWAYS work (at least on 8.4, sometimes it didn't respond) and its just clumsy anyway...

17. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

My ideal device and what I want:

• In my pocket 2"
    • Using as a phone 4"
    • Using 1 handed on the go 5.7"
    • Standing using as a tablet 8"
    • Sitting using as a tablet 12"

18. M.Tarek thread starter macrumors newbie

M.Tarek

That's a good point to be considered (y)
    bigger body for more components and better experience.

19. TgeekB macrumors newbie

TgeekB

I just came back to iPhone, after having larger Android phones, and I got a 5S. I'm loving the smaller size. Way more convenient as a mobile device. I'm getting an iPad mini for doing things that require a slightly larger screen. As a phone, which is mainly a communication device, I'm enjoying the 5S size.

20. markovchain macrumors member

Buy a 5S and you will never forget. I think a phone is never large enough so I use iPad for everything else.

21. sterl320, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2015

sterl320 macrumors 6502

Go to an Apple Store and get a feel for the iPhone 6 yourself. It's the best way to know if you like the size or not.

22. HarryWild macrumors 6502a

HarryWild

No! After spending a month using the new size 4.7"; you cannot believe you were in love with a miniature size phone! You have 14 days to test it out! And if you buy it after Thanksgiving; Apple extends it to 30 days - holidays giving!

23. M.Tarek thread starter macrumors newbie

M.Tarek

Both of you have just moved my mind back for having 5s as convenient as i want.
    as important point, I have iPad Mini Retina. :)

24. M.Tarek thread starter macrumors newbie

M.Tarek

Thanks for this advice, bro :)
    But actually, I'm from the Middle East, so I don't think these options are for me. :)

25. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I just recently went from 5c to 6+

I'm never going back to a little phone ... the iPad mini is next to go.