Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The perfect iPhone Mini display size is

• Current iPhone 12 Mini (5.4)

Votes: 55 59.8%
  • iPhone 7(4.7)

Votes: 11 12.0%
  • iphone 5(4 inch)

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • iPhone 4 (3.5)

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • even smaller

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
Was the iPhone 12 mini the smaller form factor people were looking for, or we wanted a smaller one? cast your vote and lets see the results. Share with us any extra thoughts you have.

• People who bought the mini and like it but really they had no issue with the regular 6.1 iphone do not vote please
  • Big display lovers please do not vote

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
Even iPhone 12 is being phased out due to lack of demand.

Yes but we are not discussing its success, we are talking about the most wanted size for a mini phone. BTW, iphone is still rolling world wide so we still don't have final numbers.

I have my theory that iphone 12 mini had lackluster sales because it does not meet the the wishes of people who want a small phone, its too big still. People asked for a smaller phone and Apple delivered a larger display than iphone 7. The fact that its only 4-5% smaller in total form does not really make it a "mini" as this was the flagship standard size from late 2014 to about late 2017 with a larger display.

This is just a speculation.

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
The Mini is perfect for me. I can hold it in one hand with my pinky tucked underneath and still reach the top corners without the hand gymnastics and shifting my grip as I have to with larger phones. I really hope Apple keeps this form factor alive for upcoming models. If not, I’ll be keeping my Mini for quite awhile.

Reactions: Barbareren

TechLord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2020
I'm not a small form lover, but I'll say that having tried the mini briefly, I thought the 4.7 style was superior. It was slightly wider which I prefer.

Reactions: retta283

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
I always prefer smaller units but larger displays, eg. iPhone 12 mini-5.4" vs the near perfect for me iPhone6-3.7" or rMacBook 12" vs MacBookAir 11".

sheetgoose

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2020
12 Mini is perfect size for me. Smaller/no notch would make the phone even better.?

Shame it's not selling well. Maybe it's the price... It's a terrific device though.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Yes but we are not discussing its success, we are talking about the most wanted size for a mini phone. BTW, iphone is still rolling world wide so we still don't have final numbers.

I have my theory that iphone 12 mini had lackluster sales because it does not meet the the wishes of people who want a small phone, its too big still. People asked for a smaller phone and Apple delivered a larger display than iphone 7. The fact that its only 4-5% smaller in total form does not really make it a "mini" as this was the flagship standard size from late 2014 to about late 2017 with a larger display.

This is just a speculation.

Also the fact that Apple delayed releasing the 12 Mini for a month after the normal 12. If they released the 12 Mini on day 1, it would have sold significantly more units as it is £100 cheaper than the 6.1 version. I Guess Apple knew this, so delayed it to avoid cannibalisation. Another major factor, is that due to lockdown restrictions, people are limited in their options to actually handle the 12 mini in a store, and get a feel for the device. Many people have purchased online, and so went with the 'safe' option of the 6.1 12 model.

Reactions: secretk and RRC

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
I think the mini is the best size but it wasn’t worth the money for me so the next best thing was the SE(2020) which is basically the 7 in the poll.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
They're just cutting production numbers, they aren't phasing it out. Based off the stats we have its the highest selling model out of the four. The 12 pro just did better than expected.

I think he meant the iphone 12 mini is being phased out. iPhone 12 was one of the most successful launches as far as I read on the net.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
The Mini I think you mean. That’s unpopular in North America but could be popular globally for all we know. The standard iPhone 12 is the most popular of the lot so they won’t be phasing that out.
Doubt it’s popular. Most countries people don’t have iPods, laptops, iPhone. They just have one so they go for the biggest screen or semi big screen for best bang for your buck.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
I meant generally, excluding third world countries where iPhones are not even cared about.

What exactly constitutes a “third world country”? Here in Mexico plenty of people have iPhones.

Outside the USA, taxes are so high it’s hard to justify multiple purchases. Our stuff is expensive but it’s even more expensive outside our borders.

That’s very true. Those of us outside of the US have to pay VAT and sales tax, making Apple products ridiculously expensive.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
What exactly constitutes a “third world country”? Here in Mexico plenty of people have iPhones.

That’s very true. Those of us outside of the US have to pay VAT and sales tax, making Apple products ridiculously expensive.
Exactly not just third world countries; value added tax suck but I guess having health care is better haha. Sorry not a political statement. Just saying those VAT are there for a reason.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
4.7" is my personal favorite. 16:9 is the best aspect ratio for phones IMO, so this is the best "mid-size" tier in my eyes. 4" still has a place but Apple doesn't see it that way... At least the SE 2 is a thing.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I got used to my 6S (4.7" screen) and it's probably as small as a useable phone screen can be these days, but I still think the narrow forms of the of 4 and 5 were the best to hold and use with one hand.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Outside the USA, taxes are so high it’s hard to justify multiple purchases. Our stuff is expensive but it’s even more expensive outside our borders.
That’s probably the reason the higher end Apple products don’t sell quite as well outside of the US. Even in Western Europe where the standard of living is fairly high, the mid tier Apple goods are more appealing.

These days I think it’s a definition for countries where a certain proportion of the population are on very low incomes. An iPhone to many people there couldn’t be any less important I would imagine.

Reactions: 1rottenapple

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
The 5.8" iPhones should be a contender in this race.

It's not objectively "compact" but relatively it's quite a solid bridge between manageable screen size + a big enough body to cram super premium specs into it with no compromise (eg: iPhone 11 Pro).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.