Smaller HDTV screen at closer range: Worth trying?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GanChan, Sep 20, 2014.

1. GanChan, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014

GanChan macrumors 6502a

I've been having trouble finding the perfect sweet spot between HDTV screen size, price, and a 7-foot viewing distance. I found myself thinking "Gee, I sure would have more choices if I could just go with a TV smaller than 42 inches." And then I thought, "Well hey, why can't I?"

since i live alone and use the same chair for all my TV viewing, i'm wondering if maybe I could get away with a 36-inch or smaller HDTV, placed on a rolling stand that I could park at close range for viewing and then scoot back out of the way when not in use.

What do you think? As long as the image fills most of my range of vision, will I really know the difference one way or the other?

2. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

It's a good question. Is a 32" TV at 7' the same as a 42" TV at 9'?

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I have a 55" about 8 feet away and think it's perfect.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I don't think it matters as long as you can comfortably see the screen. I have a 32" and I can be in bed and not have issue.

If you want to be totally immersed in the set you will need to go as big as you can afford.

Keep in mind that the closer you get you will see motion blur and pixels. So you want to be as far back as possible.

5. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

The truth is as long as it's 1080p you're still seeing the same amount of pixels. A 32" from a foot away can be like a mini IMAX.

I'll be sitting only a few feet away from a 60"+ 4K TV though, that'll be the next immersive choice.

6. taelan28 macrumors regular

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Ha, yeah. I've got a 55" that I sit a few feet away from (it's in my office not my living room), like being in a cinema except loads better!

----------

Sub 40? More like sub 32!

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The first time I bought a large screen tv (60") I was told the ideal min viewing distance was 12'. We only had 10' and my eyes were bothered at first until I acclimated. I'd say go with a smaller TV, 46" or 55" seems like those would be a workable size.

9. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Usually. But they are available. I've got a 4 year old Visio 22" 1080p TV. It sits on my desktop as a monitor/TV... I can catch the game while I crunching numbers.

10. Liberty. macrumors 6502

11. Slimmyhendrix macrumors regular

I bought a Samsung 32" 1080p led tv from best buy for my bedroom to replace my 9 yr old Samsung tube tv. Works great at the 8' or so range I view it at from bed. And for $249 I can't really complain. Works great with my Apple TV after I got the color settings down

12. dianestory2 macrumors 6502

my brother (who is single, mind you) has a 32 inch flat screen. He has it in a walk in closet sized room with no windows. So, you open the door, and he has a one-person chair about four feet from the tv, and the rest of the room is just storage for him. Since it is in the middle of his house, there is no outside noise, nor light pollution. I suppose if you're okay with watching tv in a storage room, then why not? It makes him happy, and he says when the room is dark, you can't even see all the storage boxes behind the tv. I just think its kinda funny that he's a grown man, sitting in a closet, watching tv.