Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Good enough for me! I don't want to get a wirelss charging pad for my iPhone 8 (which should be comign very soon) because it's another accessory I have to deal with. I do have a 12 W iPad charger, so that should allow me to charge both the phone and the battery case together.

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2015
It will physically fit in the iPhone 7 battery case, but it likely won't work with iOS.

I have an iPhone 6S and an iPhone 7. My iPhone 7 battery case works fine with my 7, but when I put the 6S in there it it refuses to recognize it even though it still charges. It won't show the 2nd battery meter. Apple's put some sort of check in place.
I wanted to add to this - my mom has an iPhone 6 and I got her the Smart Battery Case for the 7. It refused to work initially (when she had iOS 9), but once she upgraded to iOS 10 it worked as intended, with the smart case indicator appearing on the Batteries widget. The fit is not perfect around the camera, but it gets the job done and doesn't interfere with pictures anyways.

WilliamDeBurn

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2017
Sydney
A smart case is essential for me. When travelling I’m using camera, camcorder, google, maps uber/taxi apps and Apple pay. I need it. Good to know the 8 will work with the 7 smart case. I can survive without wireless charging but not without battery life. You can always remove the phone from the case if there is a public wireless charger available. Third party cases might appear with wireless charging built in and do well as wireless charging won’t have the irritating problem of a micro USB cable being needed because of apple not liscensing the Listening socket.

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
Third party cases might appear with wireless charging built in and do well as wireless charging won’t have the irritating problem of a micro USB cable being needed because of apple not liscensing the Listening socket.
Is that why I can’t find a battery case or pack that charges via lightning?

WilliamDeBurn

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2017
Sydney
Is that why I can’t find a battery case or pack that charges via lightning?

Essentially Yes. Apple’s own smart case uses a lightening socket of course. This discussion has shown that the Apple smart case for IPhone 7 will work with iPhone 8. The wireless charging feature won’t work with it though. That will require a new smart case with the wireless charging feature pickup built in. Morphie Make one for the iPhone 7. It might work with the 8.

Machelle

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2017
Can someone give this a try today? Holding back on getting the 8 because I want to know if the battery case will work.

I have a feeling it wont... not sure how it would work with wireless charging.
[doublepost=1511969272][/doublepost]It is working
it is working but i can’t see where’s the battery logo if it is charging :)

OrtizFalagan

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2017
San Juan PR
Has anyone tried it with an iPhone 8 yet?
Yes it works and it works really well. The 8 has a better battery life than the 7 to start with. The 8 with the battery case is just awesome.
[doublepost=1512017244][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1511969272][/doublepost]
It is working

it is working but i can’t see where’s the battery logo if it is charging :)
I won’t do wireless charging, at least with the base I have. If there is a base that allows charging through that thick battery please let me know.

Aside from that. It works like a charm. Recognized by the phone and it does give you the status of both batteries when you swipe down from the top

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

questionsoverquestions

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2018
Hey guys,

i want to buy the iPhone 7 Smart Battery Case for my iPhone 8.
Are there any problems with the non wireless headphones ? How does it connect ? Just wondering how it works...

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2015
UK
How well does the iPhone 7 case work with the iPhone 8 camera? Does it look obviously wrong?

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
Apple's official position is that the iPhone 7 Smart Battery case is NOT compatible with the iPhone 8.
For obvious reasons, the Qi wireless charging is obstructing.
They also said the phone draws too much power from the case due to the A11 bionic.
Ive noticed this to be the case (no pun intended haha) with both an older smart battery case, and a brand new one received today. The % of the case drops dramatically with the 8.
Not sure if this is normal operation, but at a slower rate on the 7?
Maybe someone else can chime in on this?

Aceroller

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2015
Apple's official position is that the iPhone 7 Smart Battery case is NOT compatible with the iPhone 8.
For obvious reasons, the Qi wireless charging is obstructing.
They also said the phone draws too much power from the case due to the A11 bionic.
Ive noticed this to be the case (no pun intended haha) with both an older smart battery case, and a brand new one received today. The % of the case drops dramatically with the 8.
Not sure if this is normal operation, but at a slower rate on the 7?
Maybe someone else can chime in on this?

So you have observed that the smart case drains very quickly with an iPhone 8? How fast? Would you say 2X as fast then when an iPhone 7 is in it? Just wondering, others have said it works fine and I really want to order one. Thanks.

Reactions: hufflematt

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
So you have observed that the smart case drains very quickly with an iPhone 8? How fast? Would you say 2X as fast then when an iPhone 7 is in it? Just wondering, others have said it works fine and I really want to order one. Thanks.

Yeah its pretty fast, like 2% a min or so, but the phone also charges sooooooooooo, i guess its doing its thing.

They really need to make it compatible or release a new one.

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
Update, so the case draws a lot of power when charging an iPhone from lets say 30% and up. Starting from 100% tho, it discharges the battery case slower at a constant rate. Left the house at 930 today to college, mostly bad signal and wifi, smart battery case is at 62% which seems reflective of the phone itself usually.

Not bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.