Smart Case or Smart Cover?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Eahdawn, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Eahdawn macrumors member

Buying my iPad tomorrow, and wondering which case should I opt for? The Smart Cover or Case? Hearing lots of negative things about the Case (jagged edges, loose fit), but can someone with the case tell me how they feel about it?

Thank you, from an over-enthusiastic first time iPad buyer. :)

2. -TYLER macrumors regular

Well first try them both in the store and see what you like.

If you decide you want a smart cover I suggest buying one off eBay and saving $20. Trusted sellers sell them on ebay because they were returned to the store etc..

Examples http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genunie-App...Accessories&hash=item2ec043ca89#ht_3006wt_689

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-App...?pt=US_Tablet_Accessories&hash=item2ebf9e0f1d

Then since you might want some scratch protection on the back then I would recommend a skin. This is the one I use. http://www.icarbons.com/collections/featured/products/new-ipad-ipad-two-black-carbon-fiber

3. JasonHB macrumors regular

I purchased a Smart Case and it is the worst product that Apple have ever made. It fits badly, very loose, horrible to hold, looks and feels really cheap.

I had a Smart Cover with an Incipio Smart Feather back on my iPad 2 and that was a million times better.

I shall be ditching the Smart Case and getting a new Incipio soon.

Don't waste your money - it is dreadful.

Jason

4. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys, I really like that smart cover apple makes, but are non-apple smart covers (like that carbon fiber) just as good as apple's? Or should I go for the branded :apple: one?

5. toondw macrumors 6502

Imagine the original apple iPad case tweaked slightly and that is the new case, it works and does the job but apple has dropped the ball, not a polished product.

I ordered it with a new iPad, if it was £10 cheaper it would be fine but its overpriced, even if you can inscribe it!

I do get the impression however it would offer decent protection if dropped as the corners are somewhat robust!

I will keep it, and use it and hopefully learn to love it.........

6. StevenT42 macrumors 6502

The smart case was a loose fit, and the top cover did not work well. It lasted a day on my iPad 3 before I took it off and returned it.

I am also using a smart cover and Incipio Smart Feather back.

7. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

I actually like the Apple case. The texture feels fine to me and feels solid enough. Doesn't feel sharp or rough and is cleanly manufactured. No complaints.

8. number84 macrumors 6502

personally i like to take my smart cover off when using the iPad, so the smart case is a no go as it's always connected. i use a smart cover + cheap $10 gel back case that's compatible.

9. peejay3 macrumors newbie

This one is excellent

eBay 251104578869. Solid, covers back, good looking and only $12or so...:)

10. wrosie macrumors member

I agree! My smart case fits well and does what it's supposed to do. I like it!

11. Tikatika macrumors 6502

Tikatika

I have been using my Smart Cover for over a year, first with the 2 and now with the new. I have it paired with the Incipio back case.

I decided I wanted to try the Smart Case. Like others, I found the fit horrible and the edges so sharp, it was uncomfortable to hold. It has been returned to Apple and I have gone back to the tried and true.

Strongly recommend you check out both in person if you have an Apple Store near you before deciding.

12. -TYLER macrumors regular

The carbon fiber is a skin for the back of your ipad. There are genuine apple smart covers sold on eBay for $20..

13. 7DSniper macrumors regular

The  Smart Case is awesome, the fit is really snug actually had a tough time getting the iPad in the thing. Feels great, the material is slip resistant and feels good in the hands. I love it.

14. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

The Smart Cover is ingenious.

It is thin and sleek, looks pretty sexy, can be removed quickly and is integrated into the hardware and software of the iPad.

The Smart Case is an eye sore.

It adds thickness, is a pain to remove, prevents you being able to dock the iPad, has sharp edges, but it does protect the back.

It’s upto you which you prefer.

15. Sir Ruben, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2012

Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Im very fussy about my gadgets and after looking through many products I finally settled on a Belkin Snap shield for the back and a smart cover for the front.

Im very happy with it, check it out:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

If you check that carbon fiber page, they also sell a carbon fiber smart cover.
    Is that as good as apple's? Anyone knows?

17. captainamerica macrumors member

I'll toss my vote in for the smart case. I've been using it for a week, and I'm content with it. Luckily, my doesn't seem to have the fit issues other people are reporting.

GL

18. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

YES!!!! I love the Belkin stuff. I use the clear SnapShield on the back and the light gray Apple Smart Cover on the front. Perfect combination--keeps the iPad thin and light, but protects from scratches. Not sure I'd say it will protect from dents in the case of a drop, but.......

19. tkmcguire1 macrumors 6502

tkmcguire1

I got the green smart case,and it fits tight I even had a hard time popping the edges in,no loose fit at all,and I love it!
    Everyone I know including myself have had issues with the smart cover,either it coming off all the time,or the iPad slips loose of it and it can also scratch your iPad,I recommend the cover hands down,but it's your choice,so far I am loving my smart case and would never go back!

20. bearda macrumors 6502

I bought a green smart cover and have been pretty happy with it. I tried the smart case for a week thinking the extra protection might be nice (even though I haven't had a problem with the back scratching) and returned it. I really didn't like the added bulk, especially on the edges.

Smart Cover all the way.

21. toondw macrumors 6502

It's growing on me after a couple of days with it........still not sure if it's worth the price though. I'm talking about the full case by the way

22. Kludge420 macrumors regular

A lot of people are talking about scratch protection but it's not just scratch protection you want, you also want drop protection. I've dropped mine two or three times, e.g. fell asleep reading, and if I didn't have a case it would have been at the least dented badly (aluminum is soft).

23. -TYLER macrumors regular

They are carbon fiber strips t put on your smart cover. I have them and like them.

----------

Some people need drop protection and some don't.. I have never dropped my iPad so I feel fine with just a skin and a smart cover.

24. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

Smart Case is terrible, makes the iPad even wider, and as others said is a loose fit. I convinced my brother to buy it and he took it back same day and just went with a Targus case, that fits like a glove. I personally use a smart cover with an invisible shield on the back to prevent scratches. Works great.

25. ManicMarc, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012

ManicMarc macrumors 6502

I have both and I almost always end up using the Smart Cover. I just prefer holding the iPad when the back is not covered. The HDMI adapter doesn't seem to fit when using the case either, which is a problem for me too. Saying that, case is good if you're planning to take the iPad outside a you can shove it down on grass etc without needing to worry about getting it dirty. Still, the back of the iPad is pretty durable IMO so I stick to the cover.

If you mainly use the iPad indoors and carry it about in a bag, then smart cover is fine. If you often carry it around on its own and use outside, case is better.

Also forgot to add, you can get the Case engraved for free, which is a boon over other manufactures' products.