iPad Smart case or Smart Cover

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Toucanet, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Toucanet macrumors member

I will buy the iPad Air this friday.
    Do you raccomand me the cover or the case?

2. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

I am wondering the same thing. I never considered a full case until this leather version for the Air. But the Air is so light and thin I hate to add any weight or bulk. A Smart Cover seems more likely for me as my iPad's tend to stay in the house.

Decisions, decisions.

3. Toucanet thread starter macrumors member

I have always used full cases, but now with the so light iPad Air I'm really undecided. Like you, use my iPad mostly at home. But if I often put the iPad on hard surfaces, will the rear be scratched? And in addition to this, aniline leather is surely a better material.

4. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

I've had several different iPad's since the 1st Gen and have never really scratched any of them even though I did not use a full case. If I place it down onto a table I tend to put it down smart cover side down. But even on the rare occasions when I didn't the back has never suffered any blemishes.

Still can't decide though. Leather case sure sounds nice. I have the 5s with both a black and red leather case and they are very nice and have a excellent fit and finish.

5. Toucanet thread starter macrumors member

so it only depends on the case weight.

So your iPads were perfect after 1 years of use? I am obsessed with signs/scratches.

6. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Yes. I've sold them all on ebay and got great comments about the products all being "like new". As I save boxes and such of course as well. ;)

If I could just see a Apple leather case on an Air it would make the decision very easy if it had en excellent fit. I plan on buying in store on Friday so perhaps I will ask if I can give the leather case a try.

Still leaning towards a black smart cover till I see a case in person.

7. Mr.C macrumors 601

I think I'm just going to get the red Smart Cover for now. The cases just seem to add more bulk and weight. I've ordered a clear TPU case for the back as well.

8. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I just use the cover on my iPad mini and on my girlfriends iPad..... What i did though was get one of those clear films for the back of the iPad. they have kiosks in just about every mall where they sell it and install it for you. that way whenver you lay it down or scrape it against something by mistake it wont get scratched. I took the film off my gf's iPad 2 this weekend to sell it and the back of the ipad was flawless.

9. jacob-07 macrumors regular

I'm in the same boat, i plan on getting a smart cover and for the rear im thinking about a clear matte skin.

10. Toucanet thread starter macrumors member

I have decided for the cover. So the iPad is light and thin.

11. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

I'm thinking of getting the red cover. Hope i don't regret not getting the black.

12. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I always thought the smart case looked absolutely hideous. Going with a Smart Cover again like always. Not sure if I'll get a back shell yet.

13. M87 macrumors 65816

14. Toucanet thread starter macrumors member

Are You satisfied with the red cover?

15. azcoyote macrumors member

I bought the Smart Case this morning but I'll be returning it later tonight and getting the Smart Cover. The Smart Case adds too much weight for my taste. And I'm unable to use my old pair of Sony headphones with the Smart Case on. The Smart Case's cutout for the headphone jack is too small, so I can't push the headphone plug all the way in. This wasn't an issue with my ipad 3 Smart Case.

16. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

Very bright red. Def have to get used to it. Got some compliments though.

17. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

I bought a neoprene/polyester sleeve at the dollar store for my iPad 4. It has a Velcro flap, and I might use one for my Air. My Mini has been in an iFrogz portfolio case, and although it's not heavy, the Mini feels lighter than air without it. I'm enjoying the Air's light weight too much to weigh it down just yet, and a dollar is awfully cheap for some decent protection. It was actually made for the full size iPad BTW.

18. Toucanet thread starter macrumors member

So do You advice me the black or the red one?

19. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

Hmm. Prob black or a different color. Depended if you want to go with a safe color or something with pop.

20. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

21. Seniordan macrumors regular

Red looked awesome on my black mini. Will go with either black or red for the air.

22. wickedwahine11 macrumors 6502

wickedwahine11

I opted for the black Smart Case -- I know it adds a bit of weight, but I prefer having the device fully protected as I usually resell all my old Apple products and try to keep them looking as close to new as possible as a result.

23. judethat macrumors 6502

judethat

Got the smart case in beige, looks great on the white and matches iPhone case too.

24. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

Got the blue case. Fits perfectly and looks great. "It just works". :)
    It does add a little weight but the Air still feels light in my hands. I've tried a cover in the past but was always worried about scratching the back when I put it down.

25. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

Hey does the Smart Cover only have 2 angles? Standing up or typing position?