Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Texas
I absolutely loved this case. I went and tried it at the store but I could not justify the $79. But it felt so smooth and nice. Maybe I will buy it, but trying to look for similar alternative.

JGWolven

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2013
I got both - the smart cover and the smart case for two different iPads. If I had to break down a pro's/con's for both, it'd probably be this:

Smart Cover Pro's:
Substantially Cheaper
Feels nicer
Doesn't add much weight to an already light device

Cons:
Having to be careful how you rest the iPad. I don't want to scratch up the back, so I've resorted to just laying it down on it's face (cover side down) to keep it from scratching.

Smart Case Pro's:
Protects both sides of the device
(I honestly can't think of anything else).

Cons:
Costs twice as much
Does put some heft onto the device itself

jps1012

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
NYC
I got both - the smart cover and the smart case for two different iPads. If I had to break down a pro's/con's for both, it'd probably be this:

Smart Cover Pro's:
Substantially Cheaper
Feels nicer
Doesn't add much weight to an already light device

Cons:
Having to be careful how you rest the iPad. I don't want to scratch up the back, so I've resorted to just laying it down on it's face (cover side down) to keep it from scratching.

Smart Case Pro's:
Protects both sides of the device
(I honestly can't think of anything else).

Cons:
Costs twice as much
Does put some heft onto the device itself

Thanks. Good to hear both. Which do u prefer ?

JGWolven

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2013
I prefer the smart cover. The only reason why I didn't get the smart case was because the black smart cases were all sold out. Disappointment, was convinced I would return the smart cover and get a smart case when they got back in stock.. Now? I'm not so sure. I loooove the smart cover. I think my only complaint is that it does leave the back uncovered. Having to flip it so it rests on the screen (covered by the cover, of course) to set it down is an annoyance, but not overly so.

jps1012

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
NYC
I prefer the smart cover. The only reason why I didn't get the smart case was because the black smart cases were all sold out. Disappointment, was convinced I would return the smart cover and get a smart case when they got back in stock.. Now? I'm not so sure. I loooove the smart cover. I think my only complaint is that it does leave the back uncovered. Having to flip it so it rests on the screen (covered by the cover, of course) to set it down is an annoyance, but not overly so.

With the Smart Cover does it only fold one way and can be upright or typing position?

JGWolven

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2013
With the Smart Cover does it only fold one way and can be upright or typing position?

Yes. I was actually messing around with different stances earlier today. I only had a slight issue with the typing position, but that's probably more user error than anything else. I did get it to work in one circumstance and it was very nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.