iPad Pro Smart Connector, Now what?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Commy1, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

So now that there are 2 devices supporting the Smart Connector, what can be done with it besides the Apple Keyboard?

What iPad accessory do you hope for or think would a feasible idea?

Since its capable of powering, receiving and transferring data I would like to see an Apple external iPad harddrive.

2. Cyroceon macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

It's the gateway to wireless charging. Nothing more significant can come from it, than that.

3. Commy1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Commy1

All I can say that is that it's incredibly narrow minded.

4. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Lol what? Why would hardware contacts be the gateway to inductive charging? Does the AW have a Smart Connector?

5. ianfann macrumors 6502

Smart docking station. Once iPad is docked, it is connected to a big screen, full size keyboard, mouse, use connection and much more.

6. Commy1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Commy1

That would be interesting, like a backpack on a Thunderbolt Display or something. I think the iPad has to evolve a lot more to be on par with full power laptop before it can power a 4K+ display. That said, maybe future displays will have a built in GPU type processor built in and help with that sort of thing, I wouldn't put it passed Apple to do that.

7. Cyroceon macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

You are both already starting to eat your words. This is how Apple does things. They introduce something seemingly useful in a product. Once people are used to it and asking questions about its capacity they show its true potential.

Front Page of Macrumors

8. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

9. ericwn, Apr 26, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2016

ericwn macrumors 6502a

A connector is a gateway to a world without connectors?

10. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Again... Not wireless (inductive) charging like you first stated... That would be zero contact. Like, you know, inducing a current wirelessly. That article is literally about contact charging, like setting your Xbox 360 controller in a charging dock 10 years ago

Edit - to reiterate, AW does wireless charging and that's the technology they'll build upon for other iOS products. It requires a rather long, thin coil. Just check out a Samsung S7 tear down

Attached Files:

11. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

mind. blown.:eek:

12. Cyroceon macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

You are likely 100% right. My belief is power cannot be transferred in as timely a fashion for the larger battery devices, and believe that if inductive charging is not going to hit Apple for those devices within 5-10 years, they need something simulating that experience sooner. In my estimation, that "thing" will be using the Smart Connector. Look for a potential Smart Connector on the next iPhone or the one after that, to be able to charge the phone "wirelessly".