Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2013
Canada
So now that there are 2 devices supporting the Smart Connector, what can be done with it besides the Apple Keyboard?

What iPad accessory do you hope for or think would a feasible idea?

Since its capable of powering, receiving and transferring data I would like to see an Apple external iPad harddrive.

Cyroceon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
It's the gateway to wireless charging. Nothing more significant can come from it, than that.

Reactions: Wackery

ianfann

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2014
Smart docking station. Once iPad is docked, it is connected to a big screen, full size keyboard, mouse, use connection and much more.

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2013
Canada
Smart docking station. Once iPad is docked, it is connected to a big screen, full size keyboard, mouse, use connection and much more.
That would be interesting, like a backpack on a Thunderbolt Display or something. I think the iPad has to evolve a lot more to be on par with full power laptop before it can power a 4K+ display. That said, maybe future displays will have a built in GPU type processor built in and help with that sort of thing, I wouldn't put it passed Apple to do that.

Cyroceon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Lol what? Why would hardware contacts be the gateway to inductive charging? Does the AW have a Smart Connector?

All I can say that is that it's incredibly narrow minded.

You are both already starting to eat your words. This is how Apple does things. They introduce something seemingly useful in a product. Once people are used to it and asking questions about its capacity they show its true potential.

Front Page of Macrumors

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
You are both already starting to eat your words. This is how Apple does things. They introduce something seemingly useful in a product. Once people are used to it and asking questions about its capacity they show its true potential.

Front Page of Macrumors
Again... Not wireless (inductive) charging like you first stated... That would be zero contact. Like, you know, inducing a current wirelessly. That article is literally about contact charging, like setting your Xbox 360 controller in a charging dock 10 years ago

Edit - to reiterate, AW does wireless charging and that's the technology they'll build upon for other iOS products. It requires a rather long, thin coil. Just check out a Samsung S7 tear down

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    99.7 KB · Views: 682

Cyroceon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Again... Not wireless (inductive) charging like you first stated... That would be zero contact. Like, you know, inducing a current wirelessly. That article is literally about contact charging, like setting your Xbox 360 controller in a charging dock 10 years ago

Edit - to reiterate, AW does wireless charging and that's the technology they'll build upon for other iOS products. It requires a rather long, thin coil. Just check out a Samsung S7 tear down

You are likely 100% right. My belief is power cannot be transferred in as timely a fashion for the larger battery devices, and believe that if inductive charging is not going to hit Apple for those devices within 5-10 years, they need something simulating that experience sooner. In my estimation, that "thing" will be using the Smart Connector. Look for a potential Smart Connector on the next iPhone or the one after that, to be able to charge the phone "wirelessly".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.