Smart Cover damaging iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by randystand, Jan 8, 2012.

1. randystand macrumors 6502

Got my iPad 2 on launch day, March 25th 2011 in UK. I got the blue polyurethane smart cover with it and take it off every now and again, not too much to be honest.

This past i noticed two dark blemishes on the curvy part of the aluminium. I thought it was dirt but it's not, it's two chips in the aluminium, right where the smart cover sits. Was just gonna leave it but closer inspection and where the hinges lie, there are 2 hinge shaped long cracks in the aluminium, right by the bezel. Surely the smart cover isn't supposed to do this and having it for only 10 months I've made a genius bar appointment for Tuesday.

What you think they'll do?

I'd post pictures but where the cracks and blemishes are situated it's tough to capture it.

2. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Discolored from the metal rubbing. But cracked???:rolleyes:

3. randystand thread starter macrumors 6502

Trust me its not a discolouring. Where the hinges sit, there is two evident cracks.

4. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Sorry. I just do not see how the cover could have cracked the iPad case. :rolleyes:

5. Enjoylife1788 macrumors 6502a

I would suggest u to post pics as it will stop most of us doubting u..

6. randystand thread starter macrumors 6502

What is it about not believing people on here? Why would i waste my time and effort coming on here to create a thread for something that hasn't actually happened? Jeez.

Its not that visible til you look closely, which i have already said, so taking a picture wouldn't work, i have tried.

Problem is with people on here, they love Apple so much they can't handle that something ever goes wrong with a product. Believe what you want, don't really care to be honest.

7. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

I agree and I believe you. Just ignore that other guy. Using smileys to communicate is for 12 year olds on MSN or whatever they call that now. If it bugs you take it into Apple and let them check it out and see what they can do.

8. Furifo macrumors 6502

One of my housemates uses his with a smart cover and tends to take it on/off. His seems to be okay but I'll warn him otherwise.

Personally, I don't use a smart cover. I prefer using a thin leather cover (Griffin) as it looks + feels nice, doesn't add too much weight and protects the back of the iPad.

Hope the genius bar sorts you out. I'm living in the UK as well and I've had good experiences with them in the past.

9. randystand thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys.

Yeah have made an appointment with the Genius Bar for Tuesday afternoon. Its worth going to see what they say anyway.

10. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

This has happened to people before on here and Apple have replaced the iPad & Smart Cover.

11. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Please post the outcome of your visit to the Apple store. They will make it right. :)

12. randystand thread starter macrumors 6502

13. takeshi74 macrumors 601

People know what they experience first hand. Stop assuming that people that don't have the same experience as you to be fanboys. It's entirely possible that their experience differs. That said, there are certainly plenty of fanboys out there.

14. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

You know, I think MR should institute a policy of an instant ban for those who use certain terms. "fanboy" is one of them. Man I'm tired of hearing that one.

15. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Do not think so.

Like our government, I do not want them to gain any more power than they are grabbing now!

Why not just have them bad the words like Android!

Apple has real competition now, they will have to step up!

16. callum23 macrumors member

Got my iPad 2 about 2 weeks after release here in Australia. I have never taken the blue smart cover off until now and I saw black marks on the iPad where the cover sits. I just rubbed it off with my finger. Also on the actual cover there is black marks where it sits on the iPad, but no cracks? hope you get it sorted

17. Akack macrumors 6502a

Keep us updated, I thought my smart cover scratched the iPad too but it was just black "smudge" that rubbed off.

18. Marli macrumors regular

I thought the ipad might get scratched with the smart cover, but i take mine on and off all the time and the ipad doesnt have a mark hat is visible under a magnifying glass. Suprised me quite a bit.

Sometimes there is a smudge, but it just rubs off.

19. AlkFoo, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012

AlkFoo macrumors member

There has beensome issues, with a very small minority of iPad owners and their smart covers. Like any product that is mass produced there is a likelihood that not every single smart cover or iPad (of 8 trillion- sarcasm) might have a defect.
    I took my iPad 2 in after my screen cracked, which eventually led to parts of my screen crumbling (along the cracks). Of course, there were "some" who didn't believe that I saw my screen crack in front of my eyes (which I did) and even went as far as telling me what I did to my iPad to have the screen break (impact damage was one I remember).
    You are the expert on your device... Apple does have great customer service and are reasonable... which is all we as customers want- somebody to listen to what happen and let us know how they can fix it. I was prepared to pay for it to be fixed, but they offered me a new one (yeah the old, "as a one time courtesy", that we have heard about). I have many apple products and like most, don't try to find ways to get knew ones (as it was suggested I did). I am happy to say that Apple makes great products and I have never, until the screen on the iPad, had to take anything back to them.

Let us know how it went.

20. saberahul macrumors 68040

The first few posts of this thread made me laugh... lol. Anyhow, I have noticed that if you aren't "slow" in attaching the cover onto the iPad, the smart covers hinges can be damaged due to the magnetic snap on force. While the iPad is stronger than the smart cover, I see no reason why the same wouldn't happen to the iPad. In my case, I am yet to see any scratches or cracks.

21. AlkFoo macrumors member

Totally agreed, and I believe the smart cover issues aren't really issues as much as they are rare instances of defect.

Let's keep it in perspective here... nobody has a 100% non-defect rate for every single product they have ever made. I think as Apple enthusiasts, some people fail to think practically when considering that there have been millions of iPad 2's and smart covers produced, and the chances that a few of them have some sort of defect is likely! Apple get's it, they produce "refurbished" products all the time from returns.

22. Fazzy macrumors 6502

I have the same problem. If you take the smart cover off, there are two pretty big marks where the magnetic strips attach..

23. randystand thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I've got a genius bar appointment for tomorrow. Not doing nothing about it because I've only had it for 10 months and its their product that has done the damage. Hopefully they will sort it.

24. Qvothe macrumors newbie

No cracks for me, but the smart cover DOES scratch and rub away the aluminum on my iPad. Very uncool...

25. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Cracks sound very serious. My smart cover scratched my last iPad within a week, and luckily I got it replaced anyway for a different fault. Since then I've stuck a very small amount of celotape where the scratching was occurring to minimise it. The scratches coincide with the inner sides of the two SmartCover hinges, which suggests the it's allowed too much flexibility and therefore doesn't stay parallel with the iPad.