Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

randystand

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Well they replaced it. Said it could have been something caught in between the magnets on smart cover but he'd never seen the cracks that had appeared. great service... but i get home and the new iPad doesn't charge, via computer or wall socket. So heading back there when they open at 9:30am in the morning, not waiting for genius bar appointments again as that'll take another week.

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
Do not think so.

Like our government, I do not want them to gain any more power than they are grabbing now!

Why not just have them bad the words like Android!

Apple has real competition now, they will have to step up!

Macrumors is a private website, and they can do whatever they want, whenever they want as far as users and terms allowed on the site. Android is not bad, just different, and it shows the good, and bad, or both products to have competition.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I have a ZUM plastic cover on the back of my wife's iPad. The Smart Cover's hinge and track attaches to the ZUM cover, not to the side of the iPad. Since each hinge has a very small plastic spacer that prevents the metallic portion of the hinge from touching the iPad's aluminum frame, I haven't been able to find any damage whatsoever on this iPad.

But in my view the Smart Cover is too heavy, and instead of having an aluminum track and hinges that are exposed, these parts should be designed so they are covered with a layer of hard plastic. Also, the Smart Cover should not latch to the iPad's aluminum case. It would be a lot cheaper for Apple to make Smart Covers that are mounted on some kind of back cover instead of the iPad itself.
----------
I also bought an iPad 2 "fake leather" case, which in my view is not only cheaper than a Smart Cover, but better since it covers and protects the front and back of the iPad from shock and bumps. The front cover folds like the Smart Cover, serves as a stand, and it also turns the iPad on/off.

Last edited:

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
This thread had me concerned, so I removed the Smartcover. There isn't even the hint of a scratch. My Smartcover is a leather one, and there is a plastic insert about 3mm wide almost the entire length of the inside of the magnetic mount, that protrudes slightly above the aluminum. After I reattached the cover I examined it closely with a magnifier, and found that, at no point is there direct metal to metal contact between the magnetic mount and the iPad case. There are also two tiny plastic pads inside the curved swivelling hinges. Even when the cover is folded behind the iPad, there is a gap between the metal surfaces of the hinge and iPad case.

Those with scratching issues should check for the presence of the plastic inserts. Could it be possible that only the leather covers have these inserts?

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2009
USA
This thread had me concerned, so I removed the Smartcover. There isn't even the hint of a scratch. ........

Those with scratching issues should check for the presence of the plastic inserts. Could it be possible that only the leather covers have these inserts?

I got concerned also, so I checked mine. I have the poly cover, it does have the plastic inserts.

Only a faint mark that I could rub off with my finger. I have the light blue cover and I am amazed at how clean the cover still looks.

randystand

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
They replaced it again for me because the one they gave me wouldn't charge. Didn't even make a genius bar appointment for today, just walked in at 9:30am as they opened and I was out of there by 10:15am with another replacement iPad. I got a leather cover, works same way as smart cover with it unlocking/locking and can fit into a stand to type or watch movies on so using that for time being although I change cases all the while.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
There has beensome issues, with a very small minority of iPad owners and their smart covers. Like any product that is mass produced there is a likelihood that not every single smart cover or iPad (of 8 trillion- sarcasm) might have a defect.
I took my iPad 2 in after my screen cracked, which eventually led to parts of my screen crumbling (along the cracks). Of course, there were "some" who didn't believe that I saw my screen crack in front of my eyes (which I did) and even went as far as telling me what I did to my iPad to have the screen break (impact damage was one I remember).
You are the expert on your device... Apple does have great customer service and are reasonable... which is all we as customers want- somebody to listen to what happen and let us know how they can fix it. I was prepared to pay for it to be fixed, but they offered me a new one (yeah the old, "as a one time courtesy", that we have heard about). I have many apple products and like most, don't try to find ways to get knew ones (as it was suggested I did). I am happy to say that Apple makes great products and I have never, until the screen on the iPad, had to take anything back to them.

Let us know how it went.

Nice to be remembered! :cool:

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
They replaced it again for me because the one they gave me wouldn't charge. Didn't even make a genius bar appointment for today, just walked in at 9:30am as they opened and I was out of there by 10:15am with another replacement iPad. I got a leather cover, works same way as smart cover with it unlocking/locking and can fit into a stand to type or watch movies on so using that for time being although I change cases all the while.

Sorry to hear you had to return it twice but glad that all is good now.:apple:

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
I've placed scotch tape on the place where the iPad and the smart cover join so that it doesn't scratch the aluminum backing. Since I have an case it's not noticeable even when you are looking at it.

Attachments

• iPad.jpg
    iPad.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 138

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
iDeaded myself
You know, I think MR should institute a policy of an instant ban for those who use certain terms. "fanboy" is one of them. Man I'm tired of hearing that one.

I think fanboy is the nicest possible description for the kind of person who runs around MR defending Apple at every turn, naively believing the company can do no wrong. People would surely be more offended by the more accurate and descriptive version of fanboy. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.