Smart cover for iPhone 5??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lympero, Aug 23, 2011.

1. lympero macrumors 6502a

lympero

It would be very nice if apple finds a way to implement this to the new iPhone! can't wait for this!

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Uhh, not really. Although the wake/sleep thing is cool with the smart cover on the iPad 2, I think they are ugly and flimsy. I can't see how they would implement this on an iPhone. Just get a case with a built in kickstand or something and a screen protector.

3. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Or just look after your phone like normal people...

4. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

There's that too. I like the look of the iPhone and Bumper together. Something bulkier would just be cumbersome to me.

5. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Doesn't even need the bumper - just be careful putting the phone down, don't drop it, and it will look after itself. I've had mine in pockets with coins and keys and there are no marks on it whatsoever, so I have no idea how people manage to scratch theirs up so badly.

6. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Yeah I really don't other than it has the habit if slipping out of my pocket if it doesn't have the bumper on. Aside from that and my apparent "Holding it wrong" Antennae issues, I like it just fine without any case at all.

7. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Fact is though, if Apple did make such a cover for the next iPhone that managed to stay secure in the pocket, people would be gushing at the prospect of buying one just because Apple make it.

8. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Some would, yes, but it would in no way would those people be a majority. Not even on this forum.

9. twitt3r macrumors 6502

I never indicated actual numbers or stats, but since you seem keen on numbers, all men masturbate, some just lie about it.

10. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Completely irrelevant.

11. twitt3r macrumors 6502

But true, and very relevant if you look at the stats of who said they have and have not bought a smart cover.

12. synagence macrumors 6502a

Hell no for smart cover...

I already wiped out a mag-stripe on a credit card inadvertently by it getting too near to the iPad 2's cover .... don't want a strong set of a magnets in my pocket

13. iFiend macrumors 65816

I want to believe you but...

14. jfrancis04 macrumors 6502a

I love my iPad 2 smart cover, but I'm not sure how functional an iPhone 5 one would be...

15. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

I don't find them ugly, but it could be your opinion that they are
    they definitely aren't, however, flimsy. That is a fact

i would personally like them to at least offer one, I'd have to see it in person to decide if I want it (I love the one I have for my iPad), but I don't think we should not have one just because you think its ugly. Its not a required accessory

here's how I see it working. No metal hinge like on the iPad, and it doesn't fold into a stand (those would be some tiny panels, and for the iPhone it probably WOULD be flimsy). Instead, it is just a poly or leather cover (like the iPad) that is a single piece and has the magnets embedded in it. The magnets would also be embedded along the sides of the iPhone, but work from either the front of the back. When not using the phone, the cover just sits over the screen. When you want to use it, you lift it off, the iPhone wakes, and you just slap it on the back (much like a skin) and let it sit there while you use it...provides a place to store the cover, and gives the back protection if you decide to set it down on a table or something for a little bit

16. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

An interesting idea, but I don't think it would work out well. It would just be awkward to use.

17. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Sounds really awkward, especially if the iPhone 5 returns to the tapered design.

18. hobo.hopkins macrumors 6502a

hobo.hopkins

I just don't see the small size of the iPhone allowing for such a product to exist. It just wouldn't be practical.

19. SerrQ macrumors member

SerrQ

20. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I'm hoping for something like this, except with magnets built in to sleep/wake the phone:

[​IMG]

Maybe not a full-on case, but I'm not quite sure how it would attach if it was just a cover...

21. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I used to have a case like that for my first generation iPod touch. Except it was made by Griffin.

But on a phone I would imagine having that flap up top would be annoying when trying to talk on the phone.

22. Votekinky06 macrumors 6502

Too much of a pain to have to open it to answer the phone

23. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Absolutely ridiculous idea, unless of course your phone sits on a table all the time unless in use. Most normal people carry their phones in their pockets, taking them out to answer or make call, send a text, etc. Having a thin flimsy piece of polyethylene attached only by magnets would just be silly. And yes, the smart cover for the iPad2 IS a flimsy, gimmicky, overpriced, poorly designed waste of money.

24. saberahul macrumors 68040

All I can say to this is eww. The fact that I will be using a mini smart cover and would open/close it every single time I get on a call/mail/message/etc. will be extremely annoying. I highly doubt Apple will even consider this. If they do implement it, I ain't getting it.

25. lympero thread starter macrumors 6502a

lympero