Smart cover magnets not as strong?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MultiMediaWill, Mar 18, 2012.

1. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

I have noticed that with the new iPad my smart cover seems to not attach as strongly as the iPad 2 did. Anyone else notice this?

2. Jasmynp macrumors 6502

Jasmynp

Nope. Just the opposite here. They seem stronger than with my iPad 2.

3. Larrupin macrumors member

Larrupin

4. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Ur smart cover...

Is it made by apple? Or is it made by someone else?

5. mabbent macrumors newbie

I think with the slight bevelling different that the SmartCover does not attach as securelly.

6. 7even macrumors 6502a

Same here. Had to use quite a bit of force to pull it off the back. The front might be a little touchier probably due to the slightly thicker case - if you hold it the wrong way, the edge will pop off easily.

7. iapplelove macrumors 68030

iapplelove

Mine works just as good! Maybe even better it doesn't feel as flimsy

8. brand macrumors 601

brand

I suspect that these covers that people are claiming to be Smart Covers are not Genuine Smart Covers and that is why they are having issues.

9. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

The magnets in both the smart covers, and devices themselves will vary - such is life with rare-earth magnets.

10. ProMod macrumors 6502a

Are you saying you had to use force to pull it off the back plate to re-close it? Or are you talking about the hinge? Mine won't even stay attached to the back whatsoever. This is my first iPad and smart cover, so I'm not sure if it's supposed to attach to the back as securely as it does to the front.

11. Jessemtz25 macrumors regular

Jessemtz25

Same here.

12. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Today I wanted to check out the camera on my new iPad, and took some photos of a sailaboat preparing to leave a dock. The wind was fairly strong and I had to wait about 10 minutes while they got everything right before leaving. While waiting I left my smart cover hang by its magnets as I was using the iPad in the landscape mode. Despite the wind blowing it about and just hanging free it stayed where it was supposed to.

I'd say based on this incidence that there is no problem with the magnets at all. The OP may have a defective cover, out of the hundreds of thousands made some are bound to be losers. But by and large they are OK.

13. 7even macrumors 6502a

I was transferring it from iPad to iPad when I was exchanging and it didn't want to let go of the backplate on my first iPad.

Are you sure you're attaching it the right way?

14. ProMod macrumors 6502a

Yes, I'm attaching it properly. Are you saying it didn't want to let go at the hinge, or the actual cover was stuck to the backplate?

15. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It seems like the hinge grabs the side a bit stronger than the iPad 2, though I don't have the 2 any longer to compare to the 3.

If we're talking about it attaching it to the back shell, that never was part of the design (based on my experience with both of my iPads). The best compromise was to fold it in half (microfiber in), then just hold it in place with your hand. For me, it isn't all that comfortable to do it that way and it also tends flop against the back if I move my hand around. Since I'm mostly home, and sitting, I just remove the cover when I'm using the iPad (I have one of those Belkin beanbag stands that I use often).

Don't worry about it marring the side of the iPad by taking it off and putting it on a lot. I did that upwards of a dozen times a day for a year without leaving any permanent marks. The most I saw was a small dark area [under the attach points] which wiped off with a little moisture.