Smart Cover Negatives (My Review)

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by wfj5444, Mar 12, 2011.

1. wfj5444 macrumors 6502

I have the poly case in gray. It feels very good. It adds fairly good protection on the front or the back (if it is folded over). Plenty good for laying down or I would say a 1 foot drop. The attachment works very well.

Two cons:

1 - Folding it back on on to itself is not intuitive. It takes some practice, trial and error to get it right. Fine if you are up and around, not so easy if you are in bed trying to set it up to read at night.

2 - Folding the front to the back as if you were reading, the latch magnet doesn't really latch to the back with any real grip. It attaches, but only so very slightly that even a small nudge with a finger will make it detach.

Folding it in half on the back also doesn't work well. That is my biggest gripe and its making me think I will return it.

Does anyone else have this issue? Maybe I have a weak magnet? I hope a 3rd party developer will make a copy or something that will work just a touch better.

2. Macuser1628 macrumors member

I have the leather case, it has the same issue.

3. icecrystal23 macrumors 6502

Yes, I have the same experience and plan on returning it today. I also felt like the angle in the "typing" position doesn't put the iPad high enough.

4. MarkG21 macrumors regular

I agree with everything you wrote. I'm going to use it a little bit more before I return.

5. Macmar88 macrumors member

Your right the only problem there isn't any other case out there in stores except that cheap griffin case at BestBuy

6. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

7. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

On the plus side, I've found that if you use one of the BoxWave styluses, you can "stick" it to the outside of the cover on the right hand side when closed. When open, it sticks nicely to the left side spine.

8. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Oh, good, I am not the only one whio has had trouble figuring out just how to fold up the Smart Case for use in the typing position! It is definitely not intuitive. I am using it now and I agree that it could also raise the iPad a little higher but this works for a quick typing session. I am still concerened about protecting the back of my iPad when going out with it. I use my iPads naked at home and only want protection when out somewhere. Happily my sleeves that I had bought for the first iPad will work, although not as snugly fitting now. The Apple case would only work in a real pinch since the holes for things are not in the right place and the new iPad slips around in there slightly, too. Too bad, as I always really liked that Apple case. I will probably keep this new Smart cover but will have my eyes open for new cases as they start rolling out for the iPad 2.

9. wfj5444 thread starter macrumors 6502

I think we are all in the same boat. I am still willing to give it a few more days, but it isn't looking good. For those who like a folio case, I used this on my iPad 1 and it will be my iPad 2 case if I return the Apple case.

http://www.scosche.com/consumer-tech/product/2118

It has all the angles, holds the iPad tight without obstructing it (I don't like the leather cases with the leather border all around the bezel), and it adds front and back protection.

To me its the most minimal full cover case.

10. handheldgames macrumors 6502a

handheldgames

All excellent reasons not to buy. I'm glad I passed.