Smart Cover - Polyurethane vs Leather

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Nipz, Mar 22, 2011.

?

Which did you choose

1. Polyurethane

102 vote(s)
    44.5%
  2. Leather

127 vote(s)
    55.5%
  1. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

I am stuck on what to get.

What is everyone else getting?

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Obviously leather if you have unlimited funds. Otherwise $79 is quite spendy for a few sq. inches of low grade leather that will have zero resale value when you go to sell your iPad (you'll end up "throwing it in"). If I were to get a Smart Cover it would be the Poly. It's still expensive for what it is, but I'd rather lose $39 than 2x that amount.

3. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Leather for sure, they look far more professional and "grown up." The poly ones look childish and cheap to me.

4. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I was going to go with the leather, but went with the gray poly after seeing them in person.

The leather didn't really feel much different in the store and you can't really see the difference unless you are less than a foot away (Other than judging by the color...)

That plus the potential of dyes rubbing off and the extra $30 made me go with the poly.

5. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Leather, if you can afford it. I was more interested in color (black) than a material. And Apple made it Leather only, knowing that people would want black...

6. epictempo macrumors regular

None Option

I tried two poly covers and don't like them. The back is scratched and the thing falls off unintentionally.

7. Nipz thread starter macrumors 65816

Nipz

Sorry i forgot and now cant change it!

That is the first bad thing i have heard!

8. NeoMac macrumors regular

NeoMac

I bought both and tried both and I ended up keeping the leather one. It felt better and I liked the look of the leather cover better.

9. Yebot macrumors 6502

Yebot

I wonder if Steve Jobs, a noted vegetarian, cringed a little bit when he announced that the Smart Cover comes in leather too.

Once I saw the green poly + black iPad in the Apple.com Garageband demo video, I was sold.

10. DaddyWhale macrumors newbie

Leather. I got the tan one. Chose the leather because of the color. It feels pretty good in the hand as well.

11. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Leather. Bascially based on color and not material itself.

I think most people are mostly choosing based on color.

12. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Hmm, that sound pretty strange, I can lift my iPad 2 by the smart cover and it stays on and my iPad doesn't fall.

And when I put my iPad on the table I always put it cover side down. So if I am not using it (cover closed) then the back is face up. And if I am the cover protects the back from whatever junk is on the table.

In the keyboard stand mode is about the only time the edge of the back touches another surface.

Then I just use a cheap sleeve case to transport it around when I am out of the house.

13. mirage699 macrumors member

I ordered the leather in black. Still not sold on the entire 'Smart Cover' concept.

So I may return it before even opening the box.

14. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

why not just cancel the order? how can you get sold on it without opening the box?

15. mirage699 macrumors member

A co-worker has one, he was lucky enough to get an iPad 2 with the leather cover on launch day.

I ordered online on the 11th an iPad 2 with the cover. The cover is in transit and is due this week.

16. tivoboy macrumors 68040

poly

I bought the ploy version, didn't really want to drop 80$ on a cover. I have a lot of other cases from ipad1

What I have found though, is that the poly case is leaving these VERTICAL lines on the screen. anyone else seeing that? Not scratches, doesn't appear to be dirt, maybe some sort of residue.?

17. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

I bought the Black leather and ordered online the Project red leather. The red won't ship until April 11th. :(

18. Nipz thread starter macrumors 65816

Nipz

I had that with a case for my iPad 1 and all it was was the case only cleaned parts of the screen and the 'lines' were the dirty parts. Should just wipe off?

19. Geo411m macrumors regular

I got both the poly and the leather. I returned the poly because it felt kind of cheap and flimsy compared to the leather. The leather feels much better and book like.

20. playaproved macrumors 6502

I bought the gray poly cover, but I think I want the Red leather one. Sucks that they cost so much.

21. BIG BOSS macrumors regular

BIG BOSS

I got the black leather. I really like it alot. Best Buy didn't know they had leather on lauch day and priced it for $39 bucks. They fixed it after I bought mine. :)

22. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I got the Black Leather for the same price as the Poly and love it!

I will toss it when Speck Products let go with their case as Speck has always made what I like.

23. KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

How is the leather bleeding issue? apple even mentions it on the site so it kinda scared me away, but I really do want black.

24. glen e macrumors 68030

Buy a bottle of LEXOL leather treatment for maintenance....won't discolor and wont bleed. Ive used it for years on leather products a lot more expensive than the apple cover....

25. oghowie macrumors 6502a

oghowie

Will this fix minor scratches?

I got the blue leather, but have noticed a couple scratches on it from my wife's nails. I don't think the leather cover will stand up to the abuse of 2 kids either...