Smart Covers

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by jal97jal, Oct 2, 2011.

1. jal97jal macrumors member

jal97jal

I'm thinking about getting a smart cover with an iPad 2 in a few weeks, but I would like to hear from other owners first. I've read some bad reviews about it, so I'm just trying to make sure it's worth the money.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

There just a gimmick buy a real case!!

3. glen e macrumors 68030

they work very well but are overpriced. Look on amazon for alternatives - the khomo case is a good start. But a smartcover and plastic back are very thin and functional. I must have 15 cases/covers - I find myself coming back to this combo more and more for casual use.

4. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

A couple of observations.

SmartCovers are overpriced. Big surprise. And there are alternatives that provide the same sleep/wake functionality and folding stand support for less money. Typically, such alternatives provide a back cover protection which the SmartCover lacks.

What is unique about the SmartCover, as far as I know, is that it can be easily removed from the iPad since it is attached at the hinge by a magnet. That is both an advantage over the alternatives and a risk. It means the SmartCover can be easily removed without taking the iPad out of a case that protects the back while also attaching the screen cover at the hinge.

It also means, however, that a user can try to pick up the iPad by the SmartCover with disastrous results. The combo iPad back protector/cover products don't have this problem. The cover won't detach if you try to pick the iPad up by the cover.

Many of the back covers that "work with" the Smart Cover don't solve this "problem." To do so would eliminate the quick release functionality of the SmartCover. They simply cover the back of the iPad while the SmartCover still attaches magnetically to the iPad.

A couple of manufacturers DO make back covers that lock the SmartCover in place. This eliminates the risk of the iPad coming loose from the SmartCover (just as the combo cases do) but they sacrifice one of the features of the SmartCover (easy removal.)

Bottom line is that the choices are:

() SmartCover and no back protection. Easy removal and sleep/wake magnet functionality. Risk dropping the iPad if you pick it up by the SmartCover.

() Combo back cover and screen cover. Difficult removal but safer and still (for many covers) the same sleep/wake magnet functionality.

() SmartCover and back protector (no locking of Smart Cover). Back protector does its job. Smart Cover does its job. Easy removal of SmartCover with attendant risks.

() SmartCover and back protector (with locking of Smart Cover). Essentially the same functionality as the combo cases. Available from Zum and MacAlley that I know of. Given the cost of the SmartCover + back protection, this is the most expensive solution. Makes sense mainly if you have/want a SmartCover but need back protection and don't want to risk dropping the iPad by picking it up by the SmartCover.

5. glen e macrumors 68030

After owning most every cover out there I have settled on the following cases - much like JSH says above, they all have diff + and _'s.

When I'm at home - a poly smartcover, icarbon strips and a plastic back. Cover comes off easily for lounging on couch.
    [​IMG]

When I'm traveling, the Zum back and a real Carbon Fiber smartcover by DRO concepts
    [​IMG]

For high level boardroom/legal meetings, a P&Q college case.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. honney3211 macrumors newbie

A smart cover with back cover would be a perfect case for ipad 2, such as this Cath Kidston ipad 2 smart cover + back cover.

Attached Files:

7. Dave421 macrumors member

I love mine. I've owned several other cases but finally settled on a couple of Smart Covers combined with a ZUM Ultimate rear case (locks the Smart Cover on).

To be honest, most of the bad reviews are from people that should probably be embarrassed to post. I've seen too many people MAD that they "wasted" $40 on a Smart Cover that doesn't even protect the rear. Why they thought a cover for the screen would protect the rear honestly baffles me. A few other people argue that they're too expensive and that's fine but it's an Apple product so I don't know why they'd expect them to be cheap. I've owned a couple of knock-off smart covers and they were noticeably lower quality. The authentic ones I have now I bought one used, one with a gift card, & found one for cheaper ($30) on Amazon. Functionally, they're the best option out there. They are the thinnest & lightest option that still provide sleep/wake functionality. That's why I keep using them (the ZUM is thin & light enough that it's honestly not noticeable, unlike the other case options I've used including other rear covers).

8. dtjay7 macrumors regular

I love my smart covers also, nice and lightweight. I have several smart covers (red leather, black leather and pink) with a ZUM black pearl rear cover and a frost Smart Feather. I like that it is a compact system and I can change the combination for a fresh look. I have too many cases and I find the back cover and smart cover for the front to be a great system.

9. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

Honestly, for 39.99 (or higher) you can get an actual case that covers the front and back.

10. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I am ready to buy my iPad 2, I just sold my 16gb iPad and I am ready to upgrade. I also want to use the smart cover, but I am not sure if I should get the ZUM back case that has been mentioned. What are others' experiences like using it with and without? Was it worth the extra money for the back protection and the smart cover 'lock'.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=54.141195,-115.677474

11. glen e macrumors 68030

do a search here...plenty already written

12. stewie1 macrumors member

the smart cover has taken a lot of heat online. I just picked one up because I found it on sale, and frankly, I love it. Very thin and light and also provides protection to the screen. I'm buying a skin to protect the back and give it some "grippiness" (this iPad2 is a slippery sucker), but that's it.
    This combo will allow me to protect 95% of the surface of the iPad from scratches, which is all I'm looking for.

13. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    The poly smart cover is a gem. Mine is going on seven months of use and still works perfectly and looks great.

14. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

This is what I did, love the combo.

15. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

16. Soundburst macrumors 6502a

I love my smart cover. . .but it could cause a scratch. . .the metal bit of the case that comes away could scratch the back.

My mums foster kids ripped my cover off and it left a small scratch on the back :(

Apart from that I love it

17. Adriana-white macrumors newbie

Check this site, just $22 each.
    http://www.yoyobase.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=smart+cover&cat=&x=0&y=0

18. glen e macrumors 68030

19. macbookpro45 macrumors 6502

I just started using a smart cover + ZUM SC ultimate.

My only complaint so far is that the smart cover tends to pickup lint and fuzz. The dirty front of the smart cover drives me insane sometimes so I am constantly wiping it. Other than that, the protection is great, and the iPad is still very slim. I am going to pickup a sleeve to put the iPad in so it's safe when I am traveling.

20. LTMK macrumors member

Why you need a sleeve for ZUM case plus smart cover? I am using that combo for travel without any problem.

21. brando06 macrumors regular

I am using smart cover + Belkin back cover, but was wondering if any of you have screen protection too?

22. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

PowerSupport AG, purpose was not protection though.

23. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

That BMW carbon fibre smart cover is wicked!!

24. LaurieAnn macrumors regular

LaurieAnn

I liked mine until the cover detached while it was rolled back and I was holding onto it. My iPad fell to the floor while I still had a grip onto the cover.

25. macbookpro45 macrumors 6502

I hate getting fuzz and lint on the smart cover so I figured a sleeve would cut down on that heh