Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Farsider

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2014
London, UK
Hi everyone,

I have a 10.5” iPad Pro with Apple’s Smart Keyboard purchased Oct 2017. I took the Smart Keyboard off for the first time in a long time and saw some damage to the alluminum where the hinge of the Smart Keyboard connects to the iPad.

At first I thought it was a dent on the iPad....but on further investigation the magnets from the Smart Keyboard pertrude out and have been wearing away at the alluminum on the iPad (see photos).

Anyone seen this before?
F8FDD533-A959-4E6A-AAED-1CEAF420D65B.jpeg 9E0A1482-1EF0-44DB-AC3A-12F4C86BA88D.jpeg E9D283AA-74EE-4011-8E55-A42DA87792B0.jpeg

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
On my old iPad I placed small pieces of tape over the smart cover because it was metal against metal. In my mind I thought smart cover would damage/scratch the iPad. The tape didn't hinder the connectors or magnet. Six years and it still has no scratch. You could try placing small pieces of tape on the smart keyboard.

The iPad 10.5 smart cover is completely covered in plastic. So I haven't put any tape around it cause there wasn't any exposed metal. Now that you've shown wear and tear I will put some tape on it before it starts scratching my iPad.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I have never seen that happen with the second gen Smart Cover/Smart Keyboards--I saw it happen plenty with the first version that had a metal hinge instead of the rubber/cloth coated strip to attach to the iPad. Those almost seemed like they were DESIGNED to scratch the iPad up, so I always did the Scotch tape thing too and used that as a selling point when I would upgrade.

That really sucks though--it almost looks like friction wore through to the magnet and exposed metal or something. That really shouldn't be happening. It's not like that spine ever moves side to side on the iPad or anything.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I have never seen that happen with the second gen Smart Cover/Smart Keyboards--I saw it happen plenty with the first version that had a metal hinge instead of the rubber/cloth coated strip to attach to the iPad. Those almost seemed like they were DESIGNED to scratch the iPad up, so I always did the Scotch tape thing too and used that as a selling point when I would upgrade.

That really sucks though--it almost looks like friction wore through to the magnet and exposed metal or something. That really shouldn't be happening. It's not like that spine ever moves side to side on the iPad or anything.

It is just debris or grit that gets between the magnet and the device and slowly abrade both the plastic and metal on the device. Some cases will do the same and allow debris to get between the case and the device damaging it.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
It is just debris or grit that gets between the magnet and the device and slowly abrade both the plastic and metal on the device. Some cases will do the same and allow debris to get between the case and the device damaging it.
True--but that magnetic connection always seemed to be rock solid on the Apple Smart Keyboard. Neither of mine have ever had any play back and forth to enable grit to rub around underneath. Unless you're CONSTANTLY taking it off and putting it on and never bothering to swipe away any grit or debris, I feel like that really shouldn't happen. I've been using that style of Smart Cover since the Air 1 on all of my iPads and have never seen that kind of wear and tear on them.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
True--but that magnetic connection always seemed to be rock solid on the Apple Smart Keyboard. Neither of mine have ever had any play back and forth to enable grit to rub around underneath. Unless you're CONSTANTLY taking it off and putting it on and never bothering to swipe away any grit or debris, I feel like that really shouldn't happen. I've been using that style of Smart Cover since the Air 1 on all of my iPads and have never seen that kind of wear and tear on them.

You can tell by looking at the image that is has rubbed that area into what you see today. There have been other threads where just the cover wore on the iPad where the magnets attached.

Apple might replace for you, you can ask. All the covers were not made out of the same material and some will fair better.

Farsider

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2014
London, UK
So I opened a ticket with Apple Support today and explained the problem. They asked for photos which I sent.

They said the magnets protruding from the ASK is not normal and the ASK in general is not expected to damage the iPad its attached. An expected statement. They made an appointment for me at the local Apple Store on Sunday for inspection.

To be continued....

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
So I opened a ticket with Apple Support today and explained the problem. They asked for photos which I sent.

They said the magnets protruding from the ASK is not normal and the ASK in general is not expected to damage the iPad its attached. An expected statement. They made an appointment for me at the local Apple Store on Sunday for inspection.

To be continued....

You have a good chance they will replace you iPad fo this. It has happened in the past.

Reactions: akash.nu

Farsider

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2014
London, UK
So showed this to a Genius. He took one look at it and said that it’s unacceptable that Apple product A should damage Apple product B. Swapped out both the iPad Pro and ASK immediately.

Gotta love Apple Customer Service. Now to put some clear tape where the ASK spine connects to the iPad to prevent the same thing happening again.

Szegedi Laszlo

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2020
Which one? The folio or the Magic Keyboard?
There are 3 pins at the middle of the magic keyboard, On the Ipad appeared on the second contact (midle one) hard oxidation, I have removed using a blade, after the cleaning, the keyboard started to work properly

Szegedi Laszlo

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2020
There are some pictures

Attachments

• 529D76DF-B1BD-4D74-B99F-8E666E8A5C7E.jpeg
    529D76DF-B1BD-4D74-B99F-8E666E8A5C7E.jpeg
    341.7 KB · Views: 259
  • B52EE66E-F051-4C19-BC6F-2D4C27993977.jpeg
    B52EE66E-F051-4C19-BC6F-2D4C27993977.jpeg
    335.3 KB · Views: 287
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.