Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stlredbird

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2009
My 12.9 ASK is currently not working. Since update. It knows its connected (on screen keyboard disappears) but no keystrokes work.

popaboucher

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2010
Hi - is anyone having issues with the smart keyboard? (I have an iPP 12.9").
For the past couple of months each time I turn on the keyboard for the first time after the iPP has been in sleeping mode I get a "This device can't be connected" error message.
Usually detaching and reattaching the keyboard fixes it. Also, if I reboot the iPP the problem is fixed. Any idea?

Known issue. If you have the original serial number you can get a replacement. The serial is on the felt on the back of the keyboard itself. Mine was about worn off. I had the box so it was no problem. Over a year old. Apple will fix for up to 3 years.

On my 3rd smart keyboard now. The replacement did not have the error message but it would just stop working and the software keyboard would pop up. I noticed the connection area is offset slightly where the smart keyboard aligns itself on the far right of the connector area (as viewed facing the display with keyboard in typing position).
I picked up a new one from the Apple store today and it too aligns itself on the far right. It does work better but still can drop out. I just hole the iPad steady from the left and push the folded portion of keyboard stand to the left. Come right back and tends to stay working.

If it gets worse I will play around with trying to force alignment. Otherwise I will ditch and move on.

Reactions: TinyChip
That's how it starts. Pretty soon it will become unusable.

Yeah, another victim here. Same symptoms and everything. From what I understand, they seem to die around the 1 year mark.

Apple’s worksmanship has become grotesquely shoddy. I don’t care who makes it initially, if Apple sells it under their name, they should insist on the highest quality, or at least not the crappiest. Freaking Logitech keyboard for Galaxy Pro is on it’s 4th year. Never a hiccup.

I don’t see that reliability from Apple anymore. Im on my third pair of Beats headphones in a year as well.

Reactions: yaxomoxay

Wackery

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2015
Yeah, another victim here. Same symptoms and everything. From what I understand, they seem to die around the 1 year mark.

Apple’s worksmanship has become grotesquely shoddy. I don’t care who makes it initially, if Apple sells it under their name, they should insist on the highest quality, or at least not the crappiest. Freaking Logitech keyboard for Galaxy Pro is on it’s 4th year. Never a hiccup.

I don’t see that reliability from Apple anymore. Im on my third pair of Beats headphones in a year as well.
Do you have your receipt, I got mine replaced for free, and there’s a ‘fixed’ version.
There’s a thread here about that, year 1 smart keyboards have a known defect, google it

Reactions: TinyChip

DavoteK

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
Got one for a 9.7" iPad Pro. About 8 months old. Now intermittently saying Accessory not supported. I refuse to go in to a store as I deem it a waste of time, so I send it off. Apparently the repair cost is £150, which is the same price as a new one haha.

This coupled with the bendy Magic Keyboard with Trackpad, I don't think keyboards are their thing.

Bought a Logitech Craft to replace the Magic Keyboards and buying a Logitech Create for the iPad.

Apple & Keyboards, never again.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
Got one for a 9.7" iPad Pro. About 8 months old. Now intermittently saying Accessory not supported. I refuse to go in to a store as I deem it a waste of time, so I send it off. Apparently the repair cost is £150, which is the same price as a new one haha.

This coupled with the bendy Magic Keyboard with Trackpad, I don't think keyboards are their thing.

Bought a Logitech Craft to replace the Magic Keyboards and buying a Logitech Create for the iPad.

I didn't get the 'accessory not supported' error, but mine did stop working intermittently, so I bought another keyboard & it exhibited the same issue out of the box. In my case, at least, the issue seems to come into play after I log into a wifi connection that has a pop up screen where you have to agree to the terms & conditions,. It happens almost every time I use one of those, but almost never if not. I have no idea what the relationship between the two is, but it helped me figure out what was causing the issue.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I didn't get the 'accessory not supported' error, but mine did stop working intermittently, so I bought another keyboard & it exhibited the same issue out of the box. In my case, at least, the issue seems to come into play after I log into a wifi connection that has a pop up screen where you have to agree to the terms & conditions,. It happens almost every time I use one of those, but almost never if not. I have no idea what the relationship between the two is, but it helped me figure out what was causing the issue.

Bring it to the Apple store. Friend had a similar issue and he got a new keyboard and a new iPad even if both were out of warranty. Worth a try.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
Bring it to the Apple store. Friend had a similar issue and he got a new keyboard and a new iPad even if both were out of warranty. Worth a try.
I did. Before I bought the second keyboard, I took it in. They offered to replace it for $129, but I couldn’t get a free replacement.

Either way, in my case at least, a new keyboard won’t fix the issue, but at least I know how to work around it now.

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON
I did. Before I bought the second keyboard, I took it in. They offered to replace it for $129, but I couldn’t get a free replacement.

Either way, in my case at least, a new keyboard won’t fix the issue, but at least I know how to work around it now.
I had to be a bit persistent. Found that out on these forums actually.

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
My ASK for my iPad Pro 9.7 is still working perfectly. It’s 12 months old at this junction. Thankful I got a good one, I guess.

rmbpuser

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2012

Isnt it still in warranty?

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
Well crap. I was thinking about picking up a heavily discounted ASK online, but this thread has me believing that even buying a new one under warranty could become a waste of money and time.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Well crap. I was thinking about picking up a heavily discounted ASK online, but this thread has me believing that even buying a new one under warranty could become a waste of money and time.

Since they changed mine I haven’t had a single problem, and I am a heavy user. I bet it was a problem with the initial batch.

Reactions: CharlesShaw

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
Since they changed mine I haven’t had a single problem, and I am a heavy user. I bet it was a problem with the initial batch.

Thanks. I’m glad to hear your replacement worked out well. That makes me think my safest (albeit most expensive) bet would be to buy a new one directly from Apple.

Edit: Since I’m not using the iPad for travel or work (and have a perfectly good Apple wireless keyboard) I’m less inclined to waste all my iPad sale price savings on an ASK. Fingers crossed that I find a super good deal sometime because I really enjoyed the one I tried last month.

Last edited:

Wackery

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks. I’m glad to hear your replacement worked out well. That makes me think my safest (albeit most expensive) bet would be to buy a new one directly from Apple.

Edit: Since I’m not using the iPad for travel or work (and have a perfectly good Apple wireless keyboard) I’m less inclined to waste all my iPad sale price savings on an ASK. Fingers crossed that I find a super good deal sometime because I really enjoyed the one I tried last month.
the ASK is worth it, completes the ipad experience

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
the ASK is worth it, completes the ipad experience

Thanks. Slept on it. Bought one today at Apple. If I run into issues during the year warranty, Apple is on my daily commute home from work.

It’s early, but I believe you’re right that it’s worth it, even for my casual use, and even if I have to get it replaced. I’ve actually been thinking of things to type because I like it even more than I was expecting. It improves my typing speed and accuracy and makes the iPad feel solid. The viewing angle is great.

Reactions: Wackery

Fatyank

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
Chandler, Arizona
I was having the same disconnect issues as many people have had. Bought the keyboard last October, replaced it in January this year, boxed it up in March and returned it for store credit yesterday. I use my iPP 12.9 for business and it is frustrating and embarassing when your sitting with a client doing their investments and you have to constantly lift the ipad off the keyboard cover (sometimes 3 or 4 times in a row) to get it to work. I’ve gone back to my faithful Jorno bluetooth folding keyboard. I used it with my Android devices and now with my Apple ones. It has more functions than the ASK and works every time. There is a two minute (not using it) time out but you just tap enter key, wait two seconds and its back. Designed to save battery. Battery life using it full on is about eight hours, standby is about 275 hours. It is not a full size keyboard but easy to type on. Not backlit. The keys have a much better feel than the ASK. You can see it at www.jorno.com.

Reactions: mous94410

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
To follow up on my post, I submitted a bug report about my ASK disconnecting from my iPad. They replied 2 months later and told me to return it for a new as it sounded to them like it was defective. I replied that a subsequent beta seemed to have fixed the issue. It hasn’t happened since.

Reactions: Wackery

Sashap

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2018
Apple keyboards have some sort of design fault. I am on my third one that just failed and all have failed after approx 1 year, just as the warranty expires. Apple replaced the frst one as it was still under warranty but not the second one. I refuse to spend the money on the fourth one and will get the folding cover instead and live with typing on the screen. It is too bad as the keyboard is great and outside of the fact that it lasts approx 12 months of daily use, I really loved the product. If you don’t care as much about the portability of the Apple keyboard, I reccomend not to buy it till it is redesigned and go with the alternatives.
Separately, I left a review on apple site stating the same but they only make available to view a subset of reviews, and mostly positive ones while conveniently dropping the less favourable ones. It is a bit disapointing and ethically questionable practice for the company that I held in such a high regard (in additoin to being a shareholder).

Reactions: Wormald

yep-sure

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
The reliability of my Smart Keyboard has been deteriorating over the last month or so to the point now today where it no longer works at all, just consistent “accessory not supported” messages. I’ve read mixed things about whether Apple are replacing the keyboards out of warranty or not, can anyone confirm?

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON
The reliability of my Smart Keyboard has been deteriorating over the last month or so to the point now today where it no longer works at all, just consistent “accessory not supported” messages. I’ve read mixed things about whether Apple are replacing the keyboards out of warranty or not, can anyone confirm?
I had one replaced out of warranty some time ago but now am getting close to the stage you are at with the replacement. I have to disconnect and reconnect it multiple times to be recognized. If the iPad/KB combo are not sitting just right the iPad doesn’t recognize it.

SnacksGU

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
USA

I had one replaced out of warranty some time ago but now am getting close to the stage you are at with the replacement. I have to disconnect and reconnect it multiple times to be recognized. If the iPad/KB combo are not sitting just right the iPad doesn’t recognize it.

Today a initiated a replacement for my 9.7 Smart Keyboard. Called and talked with a senior rep. There sending me a replacement, placing a hold on my card for the cost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.