Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newellj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I'm still thinking about upgrading and still mildly annoyed ;) about the Apple case/cover for the Mini 4. Does anyone have personal experience with any of the most popular SmartCase-style case/cover combinations that are available for the Mini 4? Khomo, Moko and JETech all seem to get very positive reviews on Amazon, all claim to have a Mini 4-specific case/cover...and all three look very similar, other than color.

Comments on fit?

Comments on how well the magnet works to turn off the iPad?

Comments on how firmly the magnet holds the cover when you're using it as a stand?

Any other comments?

Thank you!

royinla14

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
I pretty much tried them all at this point. I got the JETech and another case with magnets that were not yet compatible with the new mini 4. They have now fixed that but still I was not impressed with the quality. At this point I gave up and got the Apple smart cover only.

metrocon

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
I have the Khomo. The first one they sent me, the magnets didn't work. I contacted them and they sent another one, which I just received.

The magnets work for the waking/sleeping, but they are extremely weak. If I have it closed and hold the iPad upside down, the cover falls open. When I have it closed right side up, the left 2/3s of the cover pops up a little.

It also does not stick to the back when you open it and fold it back.

The inside of the back is a hard plastic, which makes me a little nervous, it's not like the soft microfiber of other cases.

The outside has a matte texture that feels and looks pretty good.

For $15 it's okay, but when better cases are available for the mini 4 I will probably upgrade.

Reactions: asleep

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
@metrocon Does the Khomo have a rubberised coating on the rear or is still reasonably slippy on a smooth table top for instance?

@royinla14 Did the front cover on the JETech fit better on the later revision? I have the first revision without the working magnets at the moment but the biggest issue is the front cover overlaps about 5mm. I'm waiting the replacement to show up but obviously hoping the front cover fits better. The rear of the case is a perfect fit.

newellj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
5mm? That's a huge overlap. I read someone noting that the Apple cover extended about 1mm, which is ok as something to get a fingertip on, but 5mm...yikes.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
5mm? That's a huge overlap. I read someone noting that the Apple cover extended about 1mm, which is ok as something to get a fingertip on, but 5mm...yikes.

Yup, you can see it in screenshots on the other thread that I have just replied to. The problem is the front cover is the correct size but the hinge is too long meaning the cover extends to far with the overlap and of course leave a small gap to the front of the iPad at the left hinge side. I'm waiting on the revised replacement before passing judgement.

newellj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Interesting. After a year of lots and lots of use, the hinge on my Mini 2's Apple Smart Case is actually getting a little floppy. The cover can slide around a little on top. :)

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
i think the flintie is another option I remember last year when I got the air 2, I think amazon says october release for some of them.

metrocon

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
@metrocon Does the Khomo have a rubberised coating on the rear or is still reasonably slippy on a smooth table top for instance?

@royinla14 Did the front cover on the JETech fit better on the later revision? I have the first revision without the working magnets at the moment but the biggest issue is the front cover overlaps about 5mm. I'm waiting the replacement to show up but obviously hoping the front cover fits better. The rear of the case is a perfect fit.

The back is the same texture as the front. I don't know if I'd say it feels like rubber, but it is a matte/non-slippery texture that shouldn't slip around on a smooth table top. The inside of the back cover is a hard/smooth plastic, but the outside is matte.

Reactions: Donka

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
Just got a JETech off Amazon and for $11 (w/free PRIME shipping) it's a steal especially compared to the $100 :apple: is asking for their "silicone" case (which is NOT a case, it's a bottom cover) and smart cover combo. Fits perfectly, sleep response is perfect and from 1 foot away you can lie to all your friends and tell them it's "genuine Corinthian leather."

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I got the replacement JETech Gold Serial cases yesterday and the fit is perfect. Magnets also hold the front cover closed front or back for those that require this. It's not the last word in protection since it is such a thin case but I hate to add bulk to my iPads and this is a nice compromise and great value for money.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
Pictures of the "leather" looking front?

Use your imagination. Close your eyes and run your imaginary hands over an imaginary "textured" pebble like hardish finish that feels like fake plastic leather and costs a WHOPPING $11 **OR** simply log on to Amazon and load this item: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013X8G3PQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00 then "roll over" the photo of it which magnifies the photo and you will see exactly what it looks like. ;)

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Use your imagination. Close your eyes and run your imaginary hands over an imaginary "textured" pebble like hardish finish that feels like fake plastic leather and costs a WHOPPING $11 **OR** simply log on to Amazon and load this item: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013X8G3PQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00 then "roll over" the photo of it which magnifies the photo and you will see exactly what it looks like. ;)

Ah, that is a different JETech model. The JETech Gold Serial is a slimmer fitting case.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
Ah, that is a different JETech model. The JETech Gold Serial is a slimmer fitting case.

It's also $3 more which was one reason why I didn't consider it. :D

Don't really know how much thinner it could be because this is pretty thin but from the way it looks it's that smooth material that gets loaded with fingerprints and stains rather than the harder textured finish which I personally prefer. I had an "original" Apple Smart case on my Mini 2 which I got on a Groupon deal and didn't like it at all. It looked like crap after a couple weeks.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
Reactions: asleep

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007

This JETech Leather look case arrived and it works fine. I prefer the leather-like texture.

The cover offsets a bit when flipped over to the back, but the magnets do hold it in place.

My guess is more people will prefer the rubberized version. Both I think are best choices in 'no-name' cases.

I'll be giving this model away when the Devicewear Ridge comes available, so stay tuned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.