Smartphone becomes redundant because of iPad?

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
I'm currently using an Android phone in conjunction with my iPad, and despite the fact that they are two different platforms, I get the feeling that my phone is a bit redundant these days since I use the iPad more for most tasks I do with my 'droid (posting here, email, games, etc.). I'm pretty sure that if I were using an iPhone, I would be having similar thoughts, because now, the only substantial thing I use my 'droid for is chatting via 3G. I also imagine that part of this is because my iPad is the 3G variant. Are there others who have seen a substantial drop of smartphone usage after getting an iPad?

In fact, part of me is looking at the latest smartphones as primarily a way of taking great pictures instead of telephony.

May 8, 2008
I have a third generation iPad with cellular and an iPhone 4s.

My iPad hardly ever leaves the house unless I'm going on a trip for a couple of nights.

YMMV.

Comment

noteple

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2011
I prefer my iPad over the 4s for:

Email
Web Browsing.
Note taking
Any video based media.

Some of it is all about the larger screen, the rest the speed of LTE.

The phone is now used primarily for SMS, Camera, pod casts and a backup to the iPad.

Comment

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
Interesting usage, especially the iPad backup reference. As for me, I have begun seriously relying in the iPad after developing a medical condition in the winter, and my doctor forbade me from carrying heavy loads. As such, I have scanned numerous books and other physical reading materials for the iPad, and I think that sort of prompted further reliance on it.

Comment

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
Yep. I even gave some thought at one point to trading in my iPhone for a dumb phone. Didn't ultimately do that since I still need an iPhone, but it's been relegated to texts, calls and on the go email checking. iPad does everything else.

Comment

Matthew9559

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
Cleveland, OH
Meh, I use both for the same tasks but for different reasons. When I am at home I use the iPad and when I am out I use the iPhone. I like using the bigger screen for everything that i do om the iphone but I don't take it out of the house much.

Comment

doboy

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2007
I know what you mean. I cancelled my AT&T contract for iPhone 4 last year and got a prepaid android device just for email, sports score, and email on the go.

Comment

aleni

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2006
my ipad never leaves the house because it's a hassle. so no, my iPhone still gets the primary use.

Comment

EdwardC

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2012
Georgia
I as well have a iPad and iPhone as well as a Mac Mini and Win 7 machine in my home office, the iPad is my lazy boy and couch buddy for hanging out but when I need something a little more while I'm out I use a BlackBerry Playbook which I picked up at Office Depot new for $ 199.00. The Playbook is only 7" which makes it perfect for being out and about and is actually a very nice piece of hardware with a pretty decent camera. I love them all and wouldn't give up any of them as they all have their benifits to me.

Comment

aleni

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2006
Hassle, really?
yes really, and i tried a galaxy note too, while it's much smaller than ipad, it's hassle too.

so things for me that i dont feel any hassle at all is smartphones that have 3.5" to 4.3". over that, it's a hassle for me.

Comment

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
My phone still has a place in my tech life along side my iPad. Sure, the iPad can do some great things, some things even better than the iPhone. But I have a hard time fitting my iPad in my pocket, so my iPhone fills the everyday travel tech needs.

Comment

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
I carry my iPad almost everywhere via man-purse, so...yeah. There's little reason to use an iPhone if you have the iPad around, unless it's a matter of space.

Comment

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
There are a million scenarios that make this argument go both ways.

Heck, I have a macbook pro, ipad and 4s. They each have their uses. Could I get by with less?

Sure.

But, ipad vs phone - would surely need both.

Comment

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
My ipad doesn't fit in my hoodie's pocket. Also, as it's wifi, it's hard to find a connection outside my home.
I stick with iphone for outside and ipad for home.

Comment

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
I don't always have my ipad with me. I always have my iphone with me. Always.

Comment

Virgo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I have an iPad wifi only and an android phone with 5gb data/month.. I love this combo because I have a widget on the phone where I can turn on tethering with one click and it's basically like I have a 4G iPad. My phone is obviously with me everywhere so good for apps and googling/texting/phone calls, and usually take the iPad around the city a few days a week. So I do get use out of both.

Comment

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
I have an iPad wifi only and an android phone with 5gb data/month.. I love this combo because I have a widget on the phone where I can turn on tethering with one click and it's basically like I have a 4G iPad. My phone is obviously with me everywhere so good for apps and googling/texting/phone calls, and usually take the iPad around the city a few days a week. So I do get use out of both.
Same here, except I tether off my iphone 4S with unlimited data.

Comment

snarestud940

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2012
I agree. I don't find myself using my htc smartphone for much other than texting, tethering to my iPad (wifi only version), and calls. Obviously an email check is necessary. But when I have my iPad on me, it's all on that and my phone has pretty much taken the back seat. My MacBook almost never gets used anymore unless I have to type up a paper for college. My dell desktop at home is always left on for email checking, games, etc.

Comment

iKIKO

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2011
as much as i love my new ipad, i would never choose it before my iphone 4s. i much prefer the iphone :D

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.