Smartphone becomes redundant because of iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kylera, Jun 3, 2012.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

I'm currently using an Android phone in conjunction with my iPad, and despite the fact that they are two different platforms, I get the feeling that my phone is a bit redundant these days since I use the iPad more for most tasks I do with my 'droid (posting here, email, games, etc.). I'm pretty sure that if I were using an iPhone, I would be having similar thoughts, because now, the only substantial thing I use my 'droid for is chatting via 3G. I also imagine that part of this is because my iPad is the 3G variant. Are there others who have seen a substantial drop of smartphone usage after getting an iPad?

In fact, part of me is looking at the latest smartphones as primarily a way of taking great pictures instead of telephony.

2. 184550 Guest

I have a third generation iPad with cellular and an iPhone 4s.

My iPad hardly ever leaves the house unless I'm going on a trip for a couple of nights.

YMMV.

3. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

I prefer my iPad over the 4s for:

Email
    Web Browsing.
    Note taking
    Any video based media.

Some of it is all about the larger screen, the rest the speed of LTE.

The phone is now used primarily for SMS, Camera, pod casts and a backup to the iPad.

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

I'm sure there are. I didn't. As stated above, YMMV.

5. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

Interesting usage, especially the iPad backup reference. As for me, I have begun seriously relying in the iPad after developing a medical condition in the winter, and my doctor forbade me from carrying heavy loads. As such, I have scanned numerous books and other physical reading materials for the iPad, and I think that sort of prompted further reliance on it.

6. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

Yep. I even gave some thought at one point to trading in my iPhone for a dumb phone. Didn't ultimately do that since I still need an iPhone, but it's been relegated to texts, calls and on the go email checking. iPad does everything else.

7. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Meh, I use both for the same tasks but for different reasons. When I am at home I use the iPad and when I am out I use the iPhone. I like using the bigger screen for everything that i do om the iphone but I don't take it out of the house much.

8. doboy macrumors 68000

I know what you mean. I cancelled my AT&T contract for iPhone 4 last year and got a prepaid android device just for email, sports score, and email on the go.

9. aleni macrumors 68020

my ipad never leaves the house because it's a hassle. so no, my iPhone still gets the primary use.

10. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Hassle, really?

11. EdwardC macrumors regular

EdwardC

I as well have a iPad and iPhone as well as a Mac Mini and Win 7 machine in my home office, the iPad is my lazy boy and couch buddy for hanging out but when I need something a little more while I'm out I use a BlackBerry Playbook which I picked up at Office Depot new for $ 199.00. The Playbook is only 7" which makes it perfect for being out and about and is actually a very nice piece of hardware with a pretty decent camera. I love them all and wouldn't give up any of them as they all have their benifits to me.

12. aleni macrumors 68020

yes really, and i tried a galaxy note too, while it's much smaller than ipad, it's hassle too.

so things for me that i dont feel any hassle at all is smartphones that have 3.5" to 4.3". over that, it's a hassle for me.

13. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

My phone still has a place in my tech life along side my iPad. Sure, the iPad can do some great things, some things even better than the iPhone. But I have a hard time fitting my iPad in my pocket, so my iPhone fills the everyday travel tech needs.

14. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I carry my iPad almost everywhere via man-purse, so...yeah. There's little reason to use an iPhone if you have the iPad around, unless it's a matter of space.

15. nostresshere macrumors 68030

There are a million scenarios that make this argument go both ways.

Heck, I have a macbook pro, ipad and 4s. They each have their uses. Could I get by with less?

Sure.

But, ipad vs phone - would surely need both.

16. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

My ipad doesn't fit in my hoodie's pocket. Also, as it's wifi, it's hard to find a connection outside my home.
    I stick with iphone for outside and ipad for home.

17. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

I don't always have my ipad with me. I always have my iphone with me. Always.

18. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

I have an iPad wifi only and an android phone with 5gb data/month.. I love this combo because I have a widget on the phone where I can turn on tethering with one click and it's basically like I have a 4G iPad. My phone is obviously with me everywhere so good for apps and googling/texting/phone calls, and usually take the iPad around the city a few days a week. So I do get use out of both.

19. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

Same here, except I tether off my iphone 4S with unlimited data.

20. Navdakilla macrumors 65816

Same with me, although I love my iPad and use it daily, I could probably get away with "just" the ipad

21. iCrosoft macrumors regular

iCrosoft

22. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

Maybe for you?

23. iCrosoft macrumors regular

iCrosoft

Sorry no, I don't have an iPhone; because it would be redundant. :cool:

24. snarestud940 macrumors 6502

I agree. I don't find myself using my htc smartphone for much other than texting, tethering to my iPad (wifi only version), and calls. Obviously an email check is necessary. But when I have my iPad on me, it's all on that and my phone has pretty much taken the back seat. My MacBook almost never gets used anymore unless I have to type up a paper for college. My dell desktop at home is always left on for email checking, games, etc.

25. iKIKO macrumors regular

iKIKO

as much as i love my new ipad, i would never choose it before my iphone 4s. i much prefer the iphone :D