Smartphone without data?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rockyroad55, May 10, 2011.

1. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Didn't know where to put this so I thought iPhone (smartphone) forums might be a good place.

I want to give my htc surround to my brother who will only text on it. He currently has a data block on his line, but has a dumbphone at the moment. Once he pops in his sim card, will this be possible?

Just texting with a data block on the line.

2. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Damn that sucks. Forgot all about the data plan requirement that came into effect last September. My brother was looking forward to it ugh.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not sure on that particular HTC but I know with iphones they detect it and automaticly add a data plan to your account.
    You might get away with it for a few months or weeks depending how lucky you are.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

If there's a data block, it might work. Try it out and see if it works. If it ever adds a data plan, just put the SIM back into the dumbphone.

5. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

If you live in Canada, then this is possible, but if you don't... I guess you're out of luck. :p

6. forcetactic macrumors 6502

It doesn't hurt to try. Worst case is they add a data plan to your account, you get it removed same day/next day, and get charged 1/30 x $25 (prorated).

Honestly I get a feeling Att is just more picky about iPhones than any other smartphones. Hope your brother can use it for months without getting caught. Just make to disable network data on the HTC too if that's possible even if you have a data block

7. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Thanks for the positive help here, I was expecting much more negative responses.

That's what I was thinking. If they do add the data plan, I would just call it in and give them the imei of the dumbphone and have them remove it (I'll just pay for the prorate charge anyway). Also, the surround does have a setting that disables network data. You are right about the iPhone pickiness because maybe it gets more customers and revenue for them?

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It doesnt hurt to try.
    I know someone that has been without data for months.
    Then one day he got the text that a data plan has been added.
    He puts his sim in an old Moto razr and called to have it removed.
    Then a few days later put the sim back in the iphone and next day he got the text again. Seems like once they flagged his account he was hit right away. Doesnt matter if a data block is put on or carrer data has been disabled on the phone. He finally gave up and added the $15 data plan.

9. TheOriginalKi macrumors 6502

You can turn the data off on the phone itself.

10. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I'm wondering if that was because he had an iPhone and the iPhone does access data whenever it feels like unless he turned it off within the settings. AT&T is pretty strict on the iPhone data plans. But if I turn data off within the HTC Surround, would that help?

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Data was completely turned off with fake apn profile in the settings. It couldn't pull any carrier data at all.

12. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Unfortunately no. Turning off data doesn't change the fact that the phone is a smartphone.
    AT&T will know what phone you have the instant it registers with the network. This applies to any phone, not just the iPhone.

The old days of SIM swapping into dumb phones and calling in IMEI numbers are over.
    AT&T's systems are a lot "smarter" than they used to be.
    Almost all of it is automated now.

The only proven way (on AT&T) to have a smartphone without a data plan is the GoPhone SIM route.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. It is unfortunate, but it is not going to change any time soon.

14. Martinsalas310 macrumors regular

I did a data block on my lil bro's samsung eternity and then switched his sim to an iphone 3gs. It works great. they just have to do a complete data block that also includes pictures and you will be good. theres also settings in the smartphone to turn off data so this way they dont "communicate" with ATT.

15. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

All phones have to "communicate" their IMEI # to AT&T or they will not get service.
    They will get to your brother's 3GS soon enough. ;)

16. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I'm going to have to disagree with everyone else. I have a Palm Pre Plus on another line with AT&T and it doesn't have a data plan. As long as the phone wasn't subsidized by AT&T for that line and isn't an iPhone I don't think they really care. I've owned Blackberries and a couple of HTC devices recently without data plans on other lines, they didn't care. Of course without a data plan it won't be possible for your brother to send picture messages, he'll be restricted to text messages.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You're probably right.
    They're mostly on top of it with iphones.
    With other smartphones they might not care as much.