Smash My Mighty Mouse!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mroseneo, Mar 5, 2008.

1. mroseneo macrumors member

[​IMG]

As I said in my previous posts, I am fed up with the Mighty Mouse scroll ball getting stuck. This is what happened to the poor defenseless guy.

That should teach you to get stuck!

2. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Hmm.. looks like some junk was built up on the scroll ball.

3. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Good riddance. The MM is as horrible a mouse as a brick :p

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Do you guys never wash your hands or what? I've had a Mighty Mouse for the better part of two years and I've not once had to clean it. It gets stuck VERY occasionally and all I have to do is a little vigorous scrolling and it's fine.

Moral of the story: wash your filthy hands.

5. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Nice I should send this picture to my mom, her MM is is acting up, piece of ****.

6. iAmLegend macrumors regular

iAmLegend

I think MM is a fantastic mouse.

I'm guessing this guy eats at his workstation.

7. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

It's your mouse and you can do with it what you want....but I personally think that was a stupid thing to do. I've had mine since Jan of 2006 and don't really have any problems. Rarely does the scroll ball not work for me. Next time someone want to get rid of their MM, I'll happily take it off your hands. No sense to destroy a wonderful device.

Hmm...I'm thinking of starting a Mighty Mouse Rescue Preserve.

8. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Those things are a bit too expensive as mice go for me to be able to smash them.

£5 mice though that are annoying, now those are fun to smash.

9. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

This seems so...pointless. My MM usually last for about 9 months before gunking up (and i never clean them), then i call apple, and they send me a new one. You could have done this and had a spare mouse, but whatever floats your boat:confused:

10. mroseneo thread starter macrumors member

I wash my hands a lot, but I guess they just put out some gunk naturally. My wife tried using it, and it got stuck for her as well. She bought a 5 dollar mouse and has been laughing at me because this $60 garbage does not work correctly. I am going tomorrow and replace it with a state of the art 5$ USB mouse that will work perfectly.

11. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

No worries, it didn't work out for you but I don't think that $5.00 mouse will be wireless. Look for some wireless solutions because when you get used to wireless it's hard to go back to a tethered solution. Good luck.

12. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

Must be nice to throw $60-$70 away like that. There is warantees for things like this. Could have gotten it replaced then sold and then bought yourself 12 of those $5 mice.
    :rolleyes:

Kevin :apple:

13. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

I agree. I have three at home one on each of three different machines and one at work. I use them all every day, and the one at work I use all day.

No problems with any of them.

Cheers.

14. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I found it dead easy going back to wired from wireless. Less hassle with batteries, and the thing doesn't have to move far after all.

15. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Thank you for allowing me to live vicariously through your 'smashing!'

I simply returned mine to BestBuy when my Logi MX Air arrived.

16. sparkstack Guest

I guess using a can of compressed air to clean the ball was a little too grown up for you.. :rolleyes:

17. mroseneo thread starter macrumors member

No, I thoroughly sprayed the ball with compressed air after smashing it to pieces.

18. TenFour macrumors member

I have to agree about the ball sticking. I keep a very tidy workstation (which I never eat near) and I wash my hands thoroughly and often. I actually came on the forum today to see if I was the only one having this problem. I have no gunk built up on the ball or around the opening, yet I am having some problems with sticking. If I move the ball aggressively it usually unjams quickly, but I wonder if this will become a problem over time since the computer is so new. I was using some cheap-o Microsoft mouse with a scroll wheel for 3 years with no problems, and I never once cleaned the wheel. I think I'm going to plug that ugly thing back in intead of the mighty mouse if this keeps up.

19. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I'd have tried to open it up and clean ball part. If you mess up, it doesn't matter 'cause you were going to smash it anyway. If you successfully clean it, you'd have saved yourself from having to buy a new mouse.

20. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Poor mouse, I bet he never hurt anybody like you hurt him. :eek:

I got an iMac on Sunday and loved the mouse so much, I bought one to go with my MBP last night.

21. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

you should have filled the ball with superglue and then it wouldnt have got filled with dirt anymore...... :rolleyes:

22. TheHitcher macrumors newbie

I've had three MM's all of them stopped scrolling, I thought opening them up voided the warranty?

23. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

At least he had the sense to take the batteries out when he smashed it...:rolleyes:

24. hexonxonx macrumors 601

If you open it up the way he did, yes.